cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Ridgeline towing Livin Lite 14db questions.

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
I have about dialed in my preferred "rig" to be assembled.

Have a new 2014 Ridgeline. Will get a brake controller installed
Will most likely purchase a 14db Livin Lite at 2500# dry weight, and add no more than 1000# of additional weight including water and everything, basically putting my lightweight backpacking gear in the trailer. 3500# is my target max weight. Hopefully much lighter as we are looking to be upscale backpackers.

Questions: is there a brand of brake controller that is preferred.

Next, it comes with electric brakes with surge brakes listed as a $910 msrp option. Which do I want/need?

My Ridgeline book notes to NOT use a weight distribution hitch. Anyone with experience in this area with a Ridgeline?

Does an anti-sway controller system even exist, and is this recommended or different than a weight distribution hitch.

Constructive comments and links to more info welcome.

Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing my travel trailer for 6 years with a WDH. NO problems. I previously had a Ford Exploder which had lots of problems (I still love to see Fords win however).
I have abused my Honda Pilot till no end, towing out in the desert, and elsewhere. They can handle it. I live in the mountains, and I tow severe inclines on hot summer days, again no problems. I have never had a check engine light come on, and I have 175,000 miles on my Honda. Get the AWD. Its great for low traction situations especially when merging onto a road with lots of dirt or gravel.
HOWEVER, if you plan on upgrading to a bigger trailer in the future, consider a truck with a V8.
BTW, the advisory about not using in the manual refers to an improperly installed WDH. Yes, an improperly adjusted WDH can cause breaking problems. Honda is just being overly cautious.
Take Care

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi (3.92 gears)
Prodigy brake controller,Weight Distribution Hitch
2021 Coachman Catalina 263BHSCK

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
That should be a very good combo. You would have slow going up the Rocky Mtn passes, but otherwise you will probably enjoy the setup. Like the others, I doubt you need sway control but a sway bar is an option of you want it. And yes, get electric brakes instead of surge! You'll appreciate having the ability to adjust your braking force from the tow vehicle on the fly, and it's also a safety benefit that you can slide a switch over on the controller to activate trailer brakes without using the tug's brakes; if you ever did have sway, this is the way to straighten it back out. Can't do that with surge brakes.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be dandy with just a good quality BC. My parents tow a similar size unit with a Montana and have no issues. Be sure to set the draw bar height so the front of the trailer sits a little lower than the rear.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I had surge brakes on 2 different large PUPs. I hated them. Get the electric brakes and a Prodigy brake controller.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Honda's anti-WDH stand was the main reason we decided not to buy a Ridgeline, even though we loved the vehicle.
they are the only auto manufacturer that takes such a stand.

what this told me was Honda doesn't really trust their vehicles for towing a travel trailer, which WDH are almost always needed for a tow vehicle with a 5000lbs. towing capacity.
it basically says, yes the Ridgeline is our truck and can tow a popup or boat but we don't think it should tow anything bigger.

as was said, go to the Ridgeline Owners Forum. a lot of Ridgeline owners ignore Honda and use a WDH anyway.

and go with electric brakes and a Prodigy brake controller.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
At this weight you most likely do not need a Weight Distribution hitch. You may want to look at sumo-coil for the rear springs. Helps a lot. I would not bother to get the sway control until you pull it a few times.
Yes on the electric brakes and a moderate priced controller. No need for top of the line for such a light tow.

Try the Honda Ridgeline Owners forum where many of us Ridgeline owners hang out.
This topic has been talked about there many times with several experts that know the trucks frame and handling.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Cairn terrier wrote:
snip...

My Ridgeline book notes to NOT use a weight distribution hitch. Anyone with experience in this area with a Ridgeline?

Welcome to the forum

The Ridgeline is derived from the Odyssey, as is the Pilot. All three
share the basic platform and are monocoque (Unibody). Though the Ridgeline
does have a sub-frame of sorts that adds to the platforms torsional
rigidity

Understand how a WD Hitch system works and that they are generally NOT
advised by OEMs for their monocoque (Unibody) vehicles.

Once you understand how a WD Hitch system works, next is to understand
the difference between a ladder frame architecture vs monocoque (Unibody)

Your proposed trailer is in the grey area of needing/required to have
brakes and WD Hitch setup.

The trailer brake requirement varies from state to state. So check your
DMV's rule book. I'd have them regardless, as it just ups the safety factor
or margin

The need for WD is up to the TV and receiver vs the trailers actual
tongue weight.

Using a WD on a Monocoque will NOT have the spot welds fail instantly,
but will sooner than later. Also dependent on how you drive, where
you drive and a host of other attributes (speeding over RR crossings,
pot holes, etc that dynamically increase the tongue weight)

Sway control is up to you. All trailers, small to big, can and do
sway at some time or another. Magnitude is the issue and the TV's
ability to manhandle (control) the goal.

Check out these old posts that apply to your decision making. My opinion
and you will find opinions ranging all over the place. The decision
is yours and the end setup is the responsibility of the driver (they
get whatever ticket might to issued...speeding, etc)

WD hitches and unibody

Wt Distr Hitch is not recommended for our vehicle
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about sway control with that short of a trailer, especially if your keeping the weight near 3500lbs. As long as you have the correct tongue weight it should tow fine behind the Honda. With the tandem axles and being 18' long it should be rock solid.

If you need sway control you could use this http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Draw-Tite/7390.html

And this http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/17200.html

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Having pulled trailers with both electric and surge brakes, I much prefer the electric for a TT application. If it were a boat trailer going in/out of the water, especially salt water all the time, it would be a different answer. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for surge brakes in this case.

As far as controllers go, I have a Tekonsha P2 in both my vehicles and have been very happy with them. For me, they offered the best of both worlds in that they work great but are still reasonably priced.

I can't answer for the WDH system for a Ridgeline except to say that if you need a WDH to transfer some of the tongue weight from the rear axle to the front axle, there isn't really a substitute for it. With our setup that is about the same weight you are looking at, we don't need a WDH because I have little to no unloading of the front wheels when hitched. But I'm also towing with a much heavier duty truck with a much longer wheel base.

I do run a friction sway control like the one pictured above mainly as cheap insurance. I've never experienced any sway with our set-up even without the sway control, but given the relatively low cost (as low as $40-$50) of the system and ease of using it (adds maybe a minute to the hitching process), it didn't make sense not use it. It only has to prevent one incident involving damage to more than pay for itself.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
HOW A WD HITCH WORKS & WHAT IT IS - VIDEO

WD and SWAY CONTROL FAQ

This should answer a few of your questions.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
No experience pulling a small TT, but did pull a tandem axle U-Haul box trailer loaded to the max (about 4,600#) 1,200 miles to Bolder, CO form Portland, OR with my daughters 06 Ridgeline. Truck did fine i was quite impressed about 500# hitch weight, her and I traded off driving and it did great no WD no sway bar just correctly setup for the trailer. The U-Haul had surge brakes that did fine, though I would lean to the electric with in TV controller.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum!!! I see that you're fairly new.

Brake controllers, there are several types. 1st, the most expensive, are the types that hook up to your vehicle and know how much brake pressure you are using and applies a proportionate amount of brake pressure. The DirecLink brake controller, at over $300, fits this.

2nd type uses a sensor to determine how much you are slowing down, and to give a proportionate amount of trailer brake. The old ones used a pendulum, and the new ones use potentiometers (spelling??). The good ones are the ones made by Tekonsha, mainly the P2 and p3.

3rd type, which I would avoid, are the time based ones. These slowly give more trailer brakes the longer you hold your foot on the pedal. These are the cheapest, and I suggest not to use.

Electric vs Surge Option, I would go electric. I don't like surge brakes. There is no way to control them. As you slow down, the trailer coming into your tow vehicle activates a master cylinder and gives you some braking.

As far as using a WDH, I would go over to the ridgline forum and talk to people there. Quick google search shows people using a WDH. I think they can best answer you.

You can get anti-sway without a WDH. eTrailer.com is a great source for all of this stuff. It is basically a friction bar that helps to prevent sway.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surge brakes do not require a brake controller in the tow vehicle. They activate when the trailer pushes on the tow vehicle as the tow vehicle stops. I have no experience with them, but I don't think they are the way to go.

I'd suggest a Prodigy P3 (~$200) as a brake controller. I had one, they work well.

There are many types of anti-sway systems, I'd look into a friction bar type. They are about $100 or less.

Here is one installed, the other bars you see are the WD system.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV