Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
138 REPLIES 138

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's another video of the Titan pulling 9k lb trailer. Mr. Truck didn't seam too happy with the power from this short test drive. Also the cummins sure seams to be very loud during acceleration.

Link

Wow. Nissan pitted their new diesel against the F150 with the 5 liter. They didn't choose the Ecoboost because the 5 liter is the more popular choice!! What planet is Nissan from anyhow? Also noticed the F150 they used for comparison didn't have the trailer towing mirrors. So who knows, maybe it didn't have the trailer towing package as well or maybe didn't have a 3.73 ratio. What a joke of a comparison!

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, And Nissan wouldn't let TFL drive them or see inside of the trailers to determine what they both weighed. What are you hiding Nissan?????????
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's another video of the Titan pulling 9k lb trailer. Mr. Truck didn't seam too happy with the power from this short test drive. Also the cummins sure seams to be very loud during acceleration.

Link

Yup. Something I've been saying for awhile...these smaller diesels are not the power houses for towing people think they are. People are in for a rude awakening if they buy these things for consistent towing.

Those who are seasonal RVers and want better MPG during the other 6 months of the year it might work out if you pay the price upfront and likely more maintenance cost. The high purchase price alone throws ROI out the window.

I still dont see anything but a small niche to fill here, very much like the EcoDiesel but with more realistic power.

womps
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

Wow. Nissan pitted their new diesel against the F150 with the 5 liter. They didn't choose the Ecoboost because the 5 liter is the more popular choice!! What planet is Nissan from anyhow? Also noticed the F150 they used for comparison didn't have the trailer towing mirrors. So who knows, maybe it didn't have the trailer towing package as well or maybe didn't have a 3.73 ratio. What a joke of a comparison!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

Mr. Truck also pointed out that the underbid gooseneck looks a lot like a Reese.

I wonder if they are going to go with a full fifth wheel prep package?

I wonder when they are going to show us the normal Titanโ€ฆ I would like to see the specs with the V8 gas just for kicks and giggles. I wonder how many of the features will carry over (trailer brake controller, etc. etc.)

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
One of the key advantages to a diesel is mpg under a load.I would like to see a side by side tow test, nationwide, both trucks lugging the same travel trailer. This would be a great way to compare say a 3D to a Eco boost. I know for a fact that a small displacement turbo v6 can be a thirsty beast indeed. So far with a 4k coach and heavy cross winds and not even 2k miles on truck, tow MPG over approx. 17mpg! My 2008 ford 5.4 would have been in the 9mpg at best.

I agree.

Over the last 10K miles towing my ~8K trailer all over N.America the 3.5L EcoBoost has given me 10.4 mpgUS. But a lot of that has been using Premium gas. With regular I would probably be under 10 mpgUS.

What would a 5L Cummins diesel in the Titan XD do? The low-end 4x2 might just have the payload to tow my trailer (just like my current F150). And a 4x4 King Cab might also. I would love to find out. 13mpgUS towing?

Just wish they had implemented the turbo exhaust brake. Besides mileage, that's another reason I wouldn't mind moving away from the EcoBoost.

Your Ecodiesel mileage with that 4K# trailer is awesome.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
One of the key advantages to a diesel is mpg under a load.I would like to see a side by side tow test, nationwide, both trucks lugging the same travel trailer. This would be a great way to compare say a 3D to a Eco boost. I know for a fact that a small displacement turbo v6 can be a thirsty beast indeed. So far with a 4k coach and heavy cross winds and not even 2k miles on truck, tow MPG over approx. 17mpg! My 2008 ford 5.4 would have been in the 9mpg at best.

blt2ski
http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/story/2015/11/nissan-titan-xd-tows-12-000-pounds.aspx?utm_campaign=...

Article in one of the email news groups I got this morning. For those of us on the deaf side, video's do not work to well. But an over 8500 gvwr rig, with a SB Diesel motor vs the bigger HP/Torque motors......good option for many of us either commuting long miles, towing smaller trailers etc. Then if they develop a higher hp motor to compete with the domestic brands......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Over the years I have become a big fan of diesels. I flat out like them. My first one was in a VW Rabbit back in the early 80s, then a couple trucks, and I also had a pair of 4-cyl Perkins in a boat. So I'm just glad to see more of them coming out. I hope this continues. Now let's get diesels into some of the mid-size cars from the big three.

And maybe get the price of diesel back to where it should be - always cheaper then gasoline.

Tim

Similar to what happens outside NA. They are booming here

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I have become a big fan of diesels. I flat out like them. My first one was in a VW Rabbit back in the early 80s, then a couple trucks, and I also had a pair of 4-cyl Perkins in a boat. So I'm just glad to see more of them coming out. I hope this continues. Now let's get diesels into some of the mid-size cars from the big three.

And maybe get the price of diesel back to where it should be - always cheaper then gasoline.

Tim

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
did I read the curb weight right? 7200lbs? that's 3/4 ton heavy....
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Given the payload numbers for a reasonably equipped 4x4 crew cab I can't see towing more than 8k with this rig. Having trouble seeing what niche this appeals to. If I were towing 80% of the time and milage were important I would just step up to a 250/2500 for the more capable rig and exhaust braking. If I am towing 20% or less I would go with a Ford Max Payload or take a hard look at the Chevy NHT package. If I wanted milage and was towing a trailer with less weight then there is the Ram EcoDiesel.

Of course it is differences of opinions that make horse races...
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
jus2shy wrote:
I could see the ISV being used in more motorhomes and light duty commercial trucks. The big thing that Nissan has exclusivity on is the "M2" sequential turbo system that Cummins developed. That was developed specifically for Nissan as the ISV in commercial operations have a traditional valley turbocharger setup. Don't know if the exclusivity is because Nissan asked for it, or if Nissan locked it in as being the sole owner of it. There's a few other small differences between the ISV and Nissan motor, but the blocks are exactly the same.

I commented on that before. A few Motorhome builders would like to use something other than the Ford V10 and Ford chassis's

Looks like the Tiffin Allegro Breeze is using a Cummins 5.0 V8.

Allegro Breeze

One of many. Would be interesting to see who comes out with a Class C chassis on par with the Sprinter, but with the power of the Cummins?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a video on from Mr. Truck. I'm surprised the 5.0 cummins does not have an exhaust brake.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
jus2shy wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Car & Driver Instrumented Test of Nissan XD Cummins

Link to C&D Article

Highlights:

3/5 Star Rating

Highs:
Smooth, quiet torque, easy-going chassis tuned for stable towing.

Lows:
Overwhelming flab, no ambition to be great.

MSRP (Nissan XD Titan Cummins, Crew Cab, Long Bed):
$40k - $60k

Weight (Platinum Reserve):
7281 lbs.

Observed Fuel Economy (over 566 miles, including more than 200 miles towing a 2000 Tundra):
15 MPG

0-60 MPH:
9.2 sec.
(Ecodiesel 0-60 MPH 9.0 sec.)
Updated the article to 15mpg, I just read it. Updated C&D Link
Really strange. As of this reply/post, the caranddriver.com/nissan/titan link in my original post still shows 12 MPG.

In any case, big difference between 15 MPG and 12 MPG. Glad you found the link to the article with the correct MPG.