cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 Equinox recording miles when towed

paulavod
Explorer
Explorer
It seems as if my 2017 Chevy Equinox is recording miles when towed. I have pulled fuse 32. Any ideas as how to get to stop doing this. Also using an RVI Brake3, how any stops does it take to run the battery down. Would it be possible to get 12 volts from the coach?
11 REPLIES 11

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My toad does not record the miles it is towed. And I am not going to disclose that either.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Is the OP going to disclose when he gets ready to sell it that the power train has XXXX number of miles and the rest of the vehicle (shocks, front end,etc.,) has XXXX amount more miles?

Let's not skirt the issue-that's the REAL QUESTION.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
I disagree about the miles racking up. The engine, transmission, and nearly every other part of the vehicle is NOT being used or worn during a tow. Perhaps that info can be differentiated in these newer vehicles though.

Tough call. But every suspension and driveline component is used. Shocks, wheel bearings, bushings, axles etc.

What is the common theme talking about higher mileage used vehicles...Sure the engine may be ok but the driveline components will need to be replaced and add cost to the purchase. I.E. it is the other little things that fail long before the engine gives up.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree about the miles racking up. The engine, transmission, and nearly every other part of the vehicle is NOT being used or worn during a tow. Perhaps that info can be differentiated in these newer vehicles though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good way to check to see if fuse #32 is indeed disabling the odometer is to turn the key to ACC (where it's suppose to be when towing) and you'll notice that the digital odometer display will come on. Now, remove fuse #32 and the display should go out.

I'm not familiar with the RVI Brake 3, but is there any way that it keeps the odometer display active? Again with the ignition on ACC and fuse 32 removed.... connect the brake system and see if the display comes back on.

After looking a little at the RVI website, I see no way that this brake system can affect the digital display for the odometer.

So, I gotta ask. Can you tell us how you have come to this conclusion that miles are being added when being towed and the ignition on ACC and fuse 32 removed?

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Miles ARE racking up on your toad. They count.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
If mechanical parts are moving on the vehicle, shouldn't those miles count, towed or otherwise? Seems unethical to defeat the odometer.

This^^^^^^^^

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of charge kits you can install to keep the car's battery charged from the MH alternator.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If mechanical parts are moving on the vehicle, shouldn't those miles count, towed or otherwise? Seems unethical to defeat the odometer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We have an RVI3, and after a dead battery on some 6 hour roadies, decided to get their charger. It's $50, and easy to install. 12v comes from the coach.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
paulavod wrote:
... Any ideas as how to get to stop doing this. ...

Well, you asked! Put the car on a flat trailer and tow the trailer! ๐Ÿ˜„

I have a 2015 Equinox. I don't tow it, never tried either. But about the only way to stop the miles from racking up is to put it on a trailer, or you might try pulling the battery cable. But then, whose to say their might not be some kind of battery back up that's keeping the odometer working? These cars made today are so sophisticated, you can't cheat anything on them any more.