cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 amps for 50 amp trailer

juancho0969
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I am thinking of going to a campsite where the only site available is limited to 30 amps. I know I can get a converter plug and hook up, and I understand that only one of my A/Cs will work. Two questions. First, can I choose which of the two A/Cs to turn on at a given time, such that I have the living room one on during the day and the bedroom one at night, or will only of the two work at all. Second, is there any damage that I can cause to my electrical system by doing this? Thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo,

I think he was referring to the 30/30/50 adapter not the 30/50 adapter. Definitely pros and cons on the 30/30/50 adapter but it can be helpful.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
30a = 3600w. 50a = 12600 w potential Power mizering is a lesson we learned long ago.
Turn fridge, furnace , cold water heater to propane. You now have most wattage available except for the small drain for lights tv and such.
What this means is you can run 2 power hungry devices at a time, like 1a/c and hair dryer, Toaster and coffee pot, and so on.
Not 3 .
A/cs typically draw 12-15 a on start, run at 10-11a Thats yes you can run 2 a/cs on 30a IF you have reduced all other load.
If an a/c runs at 12a usually less, thats 1500watts. 2 is 3000watts leaving 600 w for incidentals. just fine.
You cant hurt anything just trip a breaker that reminds you you forgot to shut something off before you tirned on something else.
Learn to proactively manage your load Many years on construction sites or on a friends back yard and we have run 1 a/c on 15 amp many times.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:
starlord wrote:
OK,first, I have 50 amp service and have stayed at places without 50 amp available. It is possible to use an adapter that runs to both 30 amp service AND 15/20 amp service giving you the ability to run everything you normally would. As stated, I have had to do this multiple time with no problems what so ever.

Ouch, $55 for those adapters, since I can run my trailer on 20A including the AC I don't think I'll be picking one up anytime soon.

$15.99

30amp to 50amp dogbone

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
starlord wrote:
OK,first, I have 50 amp service and have stayed at places without 50 amp available. It is possible to use an adapter that runs to both 30 amp service AND 15/20 amp service giving you the ability to run everything you normally would. As stated, I have had to do this multiple time with no problems what so ever.

Ouch, $55 for those adapters, since I can run my trailer on 20A including the AC I don't think I'll be picking one up anytime soon.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

starlord
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“It is never a bad idea to monitor the voltage. If it stays above 107 all is well.”

Hughes has an excellent voltage monitor for $16 on Amazon. Ask for Howard.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is never a bad idea to monitor the voltage. If it stays above 107 all is well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend to set the fridge and water heater to propane only if available.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An RVer can live quite well on thirty amps...or even 20.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
With an adapter, sometimes called a dog bone, you can connect your 50 amp camper to a 30 amp pedestal. In addition to running only one AC, you may want to watch what else you run. For example, you may find that running a larger AC and the microwave at the same time might be too much. As long as you don't try to run everything all at once, you should be fine.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:
No split - only one will work.
No you can't damage anything.

Basically you are only powering up half of the breaker panel. Only the things on the hot side will work.
Incorrect post. The 30/50 adapter connects both 50A hots to the 30A hot so you will have 120V everywhere in the rig. Run either A/C and it they are smaller both may be OK.

You will not damage anything by using the adapter, assuming good pedestal voltage. IF you have a EMS then you may need to switch it from 20A to 30A since it cannot tell the difference and will default to 20A.

Sorry, my error. Thinking of a different wiring system.

Like Bob said above me....

You can run EITHER AC at a time, just not more than 1 at a time.. We have used a 30amp site a few times.... Turned the living area AC on during the day, in the evenings, turn that off and turn on the bedroom... No damage at all assuming your power pedestal is NOT damaged and working as it should.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
StarkNaked wrote:

Basically you are only powering up half of the breaker panel. Only the things on the hot side will work.
Incorrect post. The 30/50 adapter connects both 50A hots to the 30A hot so you will have 120V everywhere in the rig. Run either A/C and it they are smaller both may be OK.

You will not damage anything by using the adapter, assuming good pedestal voltage. IF you have a EMS then you may need to switch it from 20A to 30A since it cannot tell the difference and will default to 20A.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II