cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I should post this up because the "Search" feature doesn't return any results and there might be some useful info for older Starcraft owners or those that are mad enough to embark on a complete restoration.

I purchased this 1971 Starcraft-Wanderstar from a local chap with a special purpose in mind: Gutting out the interior to insulate and make comfrotable for working stiffs like myself and, in particular, for those doing work-camping in the upper Midwest. My criteria was: a name brand with solid fame construction, a body that could be worked with (no accident damage, and good running gear (wheels, tires, bearings, and hitch, etc.) I also focused my purchase towards a TT from 19'->26'. I have a Ford F-250 4x4, CC with trailer and tow package. Pictures of "The Hilton" (named and painted by a previous owner) as bought:

I am currently still working on the Hilton and have about three weeks into it, so far. I am keeping a pictorial work log and will share most of it if others are interested. I have totally gutted the inside and am discarding most of the mechanicals, along with replacing and eliminating windows, repairing water-damaged framing (all of the wall top plates and half of the studs), relocating most of the plumbing, replacing all of the wiring, and installing a completely different decorative style.

To give an idea of what I found after gutting out the inside, here is a picture of the driver's side and the wheel well:

Here is that same area after reconstruction, the new wheel well frame is skinned with 16 ga. steel sheet, inside, and sprayed with truck bed liner. The frame is insulated and there is a thermal break between any out side joining surfaces and the inside sheeting.

Two of the most cantankerous aspects have been the replacement of the top wall plates and aluminum trim rail and removal of the floor to insulate. The major obstacle to the first is the amount of various goop that was used by previous owners to stop water intrusion. That, and the thousands of clutch drive screws and staples that were removed. The basic carpentry was simple, I replaced the rotten wood with pressure treated fir and, after a day with a grinder fitted with a steel wire wheel to clean the trim rail, the surfaces were all sealed, stapled, and screwed back together.

This picture shows the new top plates and the rafter reinforcement I thought was necessary:

While diving into the wheel well repair I noticed the floor had deteriorated under the water heater. Closer examination showed that the 1 1/2" space underneath the floor was uninsulated, excepting the 1/2" Buildrite on top of the aluminum belly skin. I pulled all of the plywood and installed 1 1/2" of extruded polystyrene in that space:

I've replaced two of the three windows I planned on and have removed two, all together. Those vacated jalousie windows are framed and will become insulated wall.

Tomorrow, I'll be replacing the 72" front window and will then move on to the wiring. The existing Precision Dynamics converter tested to be OK and has a solid state battery charger so I will use that for the DC. I am upgrading the older 30 amp service to 50 amp. If there's interest, I can post some more pictures up of the restoration, as I progress, and am always open to any ideas from others.
FWIW, I am going with a Western motif for the interior and have already renamed my baby, "The Cowboy/Hilton".

Edit: Pictures in this thread are unviewable because of Photobucket's recent change in Terms of Service. I plan to migrate to a different hosting site and to repair the images. Please, be patient, as there are many images in this thread.

Edit: Anyone wanting to view images can download this browser extension:Browser extension. It makes all the images in this thread viewable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton
391 REPLIES 391

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, yes I occasionally bump 15 amps but not usually. I really have to work to draw down the batteries to get that many amps travelling.

Ken, you betcha, hope we can meet up and share the audio thing at some time.

I thought I'd post up a couple of pics of the completed 12v setup:

Battery box for bank #2:

Two 6V in series:

New Victron battery monitor:

Distribution panel with newer Xantrex inverter:

All is good with the solar charging setup. The fridge is running smoothly and I have plenty of power for the entertainment devices. The Polish Princess and I are planning some Fall trips now that work is slowing down and we have some time.

Happy Trails!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

DrWily008
Explorer
Explorer
Hi WestEnd!

I have just read through you entire thread and I wanted to tell you that your project looks great! I have been lurking on this site for a long time. I signed up for an account to tell you that I wish I had your skills and patience!

I am doing something, albeit to a lesser extent, to my 1981 20' Skyline Nomad. I recently got it and have been working on it for a few weeks.

I too am an audiophile. I started with records and tapes and have 3 full time systems set up in the house. I like jazz, classic rock, and alternative. I would be very interested in the audio/camper meet. I would love getting a chance to talk about 2 of my hobbies while hanging with some good people!

Great read - Ken

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
West

I've been meaning to ask you what kind of amps are you seeing out of the solar. Are you bumping up against the 15a limit of the MS controller often?
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

djdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I was thinking of having everything powder coated. A local guy will do the stove top, oven top and range hood for about $150-200 including removal of rust. Not sure if that's a good price or not but I'll call around. From everything I've read online that's about the only way to keep everything from blistering or discoloring. Although you might have less of an issue because you went with a darker color. ..I think I'll be going with white so I have to make sure.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know, I've had the stove fired up and the oven. The vent hood was painted the same, too. Everything seems to be holding up well. Maybe after a few years, I'll end up repainting. That shouldn't be that big of a deal, I sprayed for 18 hours this weekend, lol.
I guess if it becomes an issue, I could use a special paint made for wood stoves or something similar. The stove top probably sees the biggest heat with the reflection of heat from the pans above. The oven door is insulated so it barely gets hot. You've got me thinking, now.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

djdawg
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Thanks, the result should instill a sense of "if he can do it, anyone can do it" (I was hoping).

The stove and range hood were painted with a rattle can paint, one of the "hammered" type paints. As long as it covers the avocado green original, I count it a success. Paint is all about prep, easy to do once you know the drill. I'm not worried about the heat, these little RV stoves are built so that the exterior metal skins stay just warm when in use.

Really? Well let me know how it goes when you fire it up...Everything I've read online...from people using high heat temp muffler paint to bbq paint - most have ended up with not great results. If you have good results, that would be awesome!

**I'm wanting to paint the stove top...the area right below the flame....maybe that wouldn't hold up as well with any kind of paint.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, the result should instill a sense of "if he can do it, anyone can do it" (I was hoping).

The stove and range hood were painted with a rattle can paint, one of the "hammered" type paints. As long as it covers the avocado green original, I count it a success. Paint is all about prep, easy to do once you know the drill. I'm not worried about the heat, these little RV stoves are built so that the exterior metal skins stay just warm when in use.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

djdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...beautiful job! You have done things that are sooooo beyond me and my skill level so when you say go ahead and keep working on my trailer? Ha....I'm super scared now.

I tried to read most of this and I have a lot of re-reading to do but what did you paint your stove and oven top with? I've read A LOT about this and some folks use high temp muffler paint and have mixed results. Did you powdercoat it?

Great job!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
True, us Cowboys don't like us no weak framing!:B

I really wasn't that concerned with weight, I had the brochures for the Starcraft trailers and could see that they built them all, no matter what size, with the same two box metal main beams. The Hilton's frame is built like an equipment hauler.

What's more difficult to have happen is an even weight distribution, side to side and front to back. A lot of the "heavy weights" inside the trailer (masonry furnace surround, fresh water tank, M-1 Abrams wheel well, oven, and battery bank reside on one side. I am adding a second battery bank just ahead of the light side's (passenger's) wheel well and have two bunks and most of the storage on that side. The tongue weight is consistent with the overall weight, about 11-12%. That is with the rear mounted waste tank empty. As fresh water is used and put in the rear, that balance changes.

Who knows, in 42 years, some curious soul may find a trailer abandoned with the waste tank dragged on the ground and with the floor collapsed. :W
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Hard to believe with all the stuff I hauled out but I'm going to be about 300 lbs. over the original. Almost 2/3 of that is battery weight.

Not only that, but compare your build quality to the original. After looking through the page on your range hood, here's an example:

That framing and skinning it with ply is doing it right. Stapling it together out of 1/8 hardboard paneling like the original is doing it cheap and fast.
From what I've seen on these pages, yours will still be a solid rig in another 42 years rather than what you started with.
Not that any of us will still be here to prove me wrong...:B

westend
Explorer
Explorer
FordDiesel250 wrote:
Nice job from a pretty talented person.

Thanks! Pat on the back accepted!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Roy.
Yeah, nothing Blue Sea, so far, but Marinco, Cole-Hersee, and some other Marine products are represented.

I'm hoping I won't have to camp in those CG's that have an age limit. In fact, just got my Federal Senior Pass, today. That is probably still the best deal you're going to get from Uncle Sam.

Weight, yes, I added some. Hard to believe with all the stuff I hauled out but I'm going to be about 300 lbs. over the original. Almost 2/3 of that is battery weight.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job from a pretty talented person.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
After all of this wonderful work you have done and what looks like a great brand new trailer now will only be met at the camp ground check-in with "Sorry - we don't allow any trailers in here that are over ten years old"

Always something huh haha...

Having used alot of BLUE SEA PRODUCTS in my working days over the years I was looking for a few of those in here...

Great story to read watching you getting from the beginning to the end

I suspect you added alot of weight to it...

Great job
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Alohakeia
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'll be on the lookout, and let the boys know too