cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

89,000 miles on a Ford C6 trans

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class A that has a C6 auto trans. Mileage is 89,000. Fluid looks ok. Shifts fine, no problems that I could tell.

I know this is a " Crystal Ball " type question, but would you trust this trans to make a trip from northern Michigan to southern Arizona ( round trip )?

Our trip plans are doing Route 66 as much as we can. Speeds will be kept at 55-60mph ( we're in no hurry ).

It would cost about $2000-$2200 for a rebuilt, but our budget just couldnt afford that AND the trip.

It has a medium size trans cooler now. I was thinking of upgrading to a larger cooler.

I haven't weighed the motor home yet, but assuming it is in the 13,000-16,000lb range by what I got from the original manuals.

Motor has no worries, it only has 6,000 miles since rebuild.

Moderators: I posted here so I could get info from some P.U. truck guys ( instead of posting it in the class A section ).
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
24 REPLIES 24

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
The C6 is a rugged and reliable trans that Ford put behind the big block motors, the FE block motors and some of the high performance 428 CJ motors. My 1978 Bronco had the C6 in it and I serviced the trans oil and adjusted bands ever two years. Never, ever a problem with it. I would encourage you to invest in a trans temp. gauge just to keep an eye on the oil temps. Otherwise, service the trans and enjoy the drive to your destination. Unless something is "going on" to cause you suspicion I think that you should be fine.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
A transmission fluid change every 2 years is pretty much mandatory for me, no matter what the mileage.

I've learned that the hard way.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If it runs well now, and fluid is good, I think you're more likely to face problems running on a fresh rebuild than running as-is. Shops aren't perfect. There's always possibility of making a mistake. And some of the new imported replacement parts are inferior to the OEM stuff it came with.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo

It would have been a bunch easier to just pull the torque converter drain plug. That is ONE thing I like about Fords they have drain plugs in the converters, not sure about new rigs.

The C6 and TH400 are just plain and simple bullet proof. I have one in this C20 with well over 400K and only had service. I did add drain plug to converter at 30K.

Your method is a great one that I have done MANY times.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I see yours is an 87. I had a C6 in an 85 flatbed for years. It was used hard for farm chores and pulling a livestock trailer at its max load for years. Hauled in hay from the field stacked all the way up on the roof and hood. We just left a hole to see out of. The trans never gave me an issue, ever, and we never changed the filter as the pan bolts were seized. Just cracked the cooler line to pump the fluid out to change it. Great tranny.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the fluid is nice and red and there are no leaks I wouldn't worry about it. But the comment was made that if something does go can you afford to get back home?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only issue I had with my two C6s was in our 79 F250, it started leaking a small puddle of fluid overnight after about a three hour drive. Turned out to be a bad front pump seal. Seems like about less than $20 for seal, and used neighbors shop to pull the transmission.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:

I'm surprised ...a bit...that you have a C6...don't think that transmission has been made for many a moon. Not criticizing, they're very good, robust trannies. Had one in a mid '70's E 350 cab and chassis, DRW, with a 16 foot box and the 460 V8. Very tough, durable transmission.

Its a 1987 MH. 29 years old.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
Personally, I don't fix things that are not broke.

i only service according to mfg recommendations.

So you know what I would do.

X 2.

I'm surprised ...a bit...that you have a C6...don't think that transmission has been made for many a moon. Not criticizing, they're very good, robust trannies. Had one in a mid '70's E 350 cab and chassis, DRW, with a 16 foot box and the 460 V8. Very tough, durable transmission.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

OP obviously doesn't have much history with the vehicle so can only go off the current appearance and operation of it.
I'd be suspect why a big block needed rebuilt at 80kmi if it was driven and maintained properly. And that suspicion would extend to the 25 year old trans as well.

I'm thinking the original owner got hosed by a dishonest service repair owner ( original MH owner was on the road ). They charged him $8000 for the job, which included a $4000 reman motor from a reputable company. And this was done back in May of 2001. $8000 for work like this 15 years ago! And yes, not many miles since. The guys wife got sick and couldn't travel, so they only drove it fairly close to some property they owned ever since.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've never personally owned anything with a C6 but in general I wouldn't think twice about a transmission with 89,000 miles on it if it was taken care of. I've got a Chevy with 216,000 on the original trans and a Jeep with 192,000 on what I'm pretty sure is the original trans. The automatic in my Buick went out at 161,000.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
big jim 2 wrote:
I would trust the old one as much or more than a rebuild!

X2. Just because the transmission is rebuilt, does not mean it will be problem free.

I would not hesitate to take your 89,000 mile transmission on a long trip.

The engine was rebuilt not the transmission, I think the fluid and band change/adjust was at 50,000 miles.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
big jim 2 wrote:
I would trust the old one as much or more than a rebuild!

X2. Just because the transmission is rebuilt, does not mean it will be problem free.

I would not hesitate to take your 89,000 mile transmission on a long trip.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
K Charles wrote:
I think ford said oil and filter at 100,000 miles. I would not touch it if it is working fine.

I doubt any of the old 3 speed transmissions had a 100kmi service interval. I can't think of too many old autos that even lasted more than 100kmi serviced properly.

OP obviously doesn't have much history with the vehicle so can only go off the current appearance and operation of it.
I'd be suspect why a big block needed rebuilt at 80kmi if it was driven and maintained properly. And that suspicion would extend to the 25 year old trans as well.

IMO get it serviced and drive the snot out of it locally for a while to see how,it acts. Then decide if it's ready for a X country trip.
And what Scottg said. Band adjustment is critical to temps and trans life/slipping
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold