cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Almost back

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
After two months and constant calls to our agent,we finally said enough is enough. last Friday we were told Allstate needed the adjuster to go back to the dealership where our camper has sat with a tarp over it since Aug. 8th and get a "line item estimate" of the cost of putting an "after market" roof on our Surveyor Ultra-light. Basically reroofing it with a wood framed structure.

We have already refused the repair based on our belief that it would throw the trailer out of spec, cause unsafe towing issuses, and make the trailer worthless. Also this would have been the 4th time they had gotten an estimate from the service manager. And noone had even talked about the mold smell that had now filled our trailer since it had sat with the unchecked storm damage.

Yesterday we told our agent we were not going to be jerked around another week and were about to start writing letters with the first one going to the State Insurance Commissioner. Within 10 minutes someone from the state office called and was finalizing the papers to total the trailer and get the checks signed and in route. The Surveyor will be paid off and we will have a decent down payment for our new camper.

It should never have taken this but we hope to be back to camping with a new trailer for Thanksgiving.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT
19 REPLIES 19

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Although the OP was dealing with their agent, most trouble with insurance companies comes from situations where there is no local, personal agent. In about 10 minutes, I could go online and procure insurance for auto, camper, boat, etc., but then who do you call when you have a problem...the "800 number" on your card. Not me! I prefer to deal with a direct agent, someone that I can call and get serviced by. And truthfully, it doesn't really cost anymore to do it this way...in fact, might cost a little less!
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
This must be slam Allstate week. We'd had them for years for both home and auto....like probably 20+. When we lived in Memphis we received info that earthquake insurance was available and to call for info. Born and raised in So CA, I called first thing. The rates were reasonable so we added that to our policy. We had it the 4 years we lived there and kept in on the policy when we kept the house as a rental and moved to Jackson - included it on our policy here. Probably 10+ years into it, our renewal info came and in looking at it, I realized that they neglected to include the earthquake part. I called our agent to remind her that it should be included on both houses. She told me they didn't offer earthquake insurance here any longer. I asked her why and the answer was because we live in an area that could have earthquakes. Well, duh! Why would I have taken it out in the first place? Did they not know that the New Madrid fault runs near the MS River? We're 90 miles from there. We live in a part of the country that has tornadoes, but those are covered, but not earthquakes. Stupid! Wonder why they covered our autos since there is a chance we could be involved in an accident.

We did get a lovely new roof compliments of Allstate after a tornado, but have since dropped them. The rates were jumping a ridiculous amount every renewal time. We are now with another company and no more games.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great that the OP got a resolution and without having to threaten a lawsuit (where nobody wins except the lawyer).

I've often wondered what happens if you need a major repair during the camping season. Do any insurers have loss of use coverage so you can rent a temporary unit? It can't be nice to have your camping season ruined while waiting for an insurance company to decide what they're going to cover and then to wait for the repairs.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great post OP. That's how you conduct yourself when you've had enough of the run-around.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had any problems with Allstate before and our agent is the best. We have been with them for over 15 years. When our truck was totaled by an uninsured driver in 2011 we had a check in hand in one week.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Sinnettc wrote:
There's a reason Allstate isn't available in Massachusetts; now you know why. Glad they final came through, though it shouldn't take getting the state involved to get them to.

There are a lot of things that not available in Massachusetts, one of the being sunshine.:)

Many states have excluded certain insurers, certain insurance products, and other items. It is beyond my little brain why.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Sinnettc
Explorer
Explorer
There's a reason Allstate isn't available in Massachusetts; now you know why. Glad they final came through, though it shouldn't take getting the state involved to get them to.
1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 4x4 short bed
2010 Trail Cruiser 23QBC
2001 Catalina Capri 22 sailboat "Verboten"

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
We used to have both our auto and H/O policies with Allstate and never filed a claim. One day, we got a letter saying that they were quitting the H/O business in California in eight months, so we had to find another policy. When we did, we moved our auto as well, to get a bundle price. We told them why we were moving our auto policy, which they didn't seem to understand. They only quit the H/O business, so why would we want to move our auto policy? Duuuh.

About a year or so later, we started getting junk mail from Allstate touting their auto and H/O policies. We still live in CA and assume that the computers that address their junk mail could be programmed not to print address labels in states where they don't do business. But nooo... Double-duuuh.
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I've always have good prompt service from All State. Recently had a tire blow out causing $2500 damage. All State promptly agreed to shops estimates, then again when they revised it once they got further into the repairs. Have had a few other claims over the years and same no hassle service.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Great tips MargaretB!

Also if you happen to get a response by telephone from "The Office of the President" of the firm you're working with, the vast majority of time those folks are very well equipped to make you happy.

Sadly I can't say that about Camping World as they (Office of Pres) are stuck following some of the same stupid policies as the rest of the folks in that organization. I can't believe how backwards some of that stuff is while Marcus is out telling everyone else how to do a better job.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. GS doesn't allow the word b-itch or any permutations. Who knew?
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a matter of *****ing, When I taught a business writing class, I included information on how to complain effectively. Here it is, free:

1. State in the first sentence why you're writing. "On Friday, May 11, X happened. As a result, XX and XXX happened." Give enough details that they can get the complete picture without having to refer back to anything else, although they will have your information on their screen.
2. Tell 'em what you've done since then. Be specific and list every contact, with whom and what was said. "Since then, I have taken the following actions to resolve the issue:..."
3. Tell them what their representative said. "Your representative told me that X would happen by (date.)"
4. Tell them what hasn't happened. "However, since that time, I have not heard from anyone..." or whatever.
5. TELL THAM WHAT YOU WANT AND THE EXACT DATE BY WHICH YOU WANT IT. Make it reasonable. If you demand action within the hour, you are probably wasting your time. But if you say, "I expect to hear back from your Regional Manager no later than 5:00 om on Thursday, July 13" they will know exactly what you want and by when.
6. Tell them what will happen if your demand from item 5 isn't met. "If this matter is not resolved to my satisfaction by that time, I will write to..."

Delete adjectives from your vocabulary when you write. Be polite, firm, and 100% factual. And of course, in order to do this satisfactorily, you need to keep complete notes on every effort you've made to resolve the issue.

If you are polite, firm, factual, and unemotional, there's no way they can dodge you. Almost every one of my students reported positive results when they stopped yelling, using adjectives, and letting them get away with empty promises.

One more thing - don't call them - there's no trail from a phone call. Do everything by e-mail.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
My All-State "Your in good hands" tale of how the hand opened up and dropped us.

We lived in Mass for many years and never had an accident.
We then moved to NC and had to get a different insurer since the one we had in Mass didn't do business in NC.
We had always seen that ad "your in Good Hands" with All state, so we picked them.
Two years went by, without a claim, and then one day in my yard, my vehicle slid on mud and I dented the fender. We had $100 deductible.
The repair cost $189, so I paid the deductable and All state reimbursed me the $89.
About three months later we received a notice that they were dropping us.

This was a long time ago, and since then we have received ads in the mail to go with them.
Needless to say I won't, and I relate that story to everyone I know when they are thinking of getting a new insurer.

I wonder how much money All state has lost because of the way I was treated ???

Jack L

Your last question is certainly valid. 20 years ago I had to hire a lawyer just to get reimbursed for the hospital ER room cost for my son when he was hit by an Allstate insured driver. NO damages for pain or other things requested. Just the hospital fees for ER. (about $500.00)

Fast forward to 8 years ago. I tried out Allstate through a good agent my former boss recommended. Three claims in eight years. One on the motorcycle, one on the trailer, One on the truck. Every one of the three claims were handled promptly and without hesitation. Rate increase? Nope. I am still with them.

MY point is that the "modern" Allstate is a very different company than in the past.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
First you try to be nice and cooperative. Then you threaten to throw a fit and all of a sudden things start happening. How come things don't work so well when you're polite and civilized and just want some service. Glad you're finally being taken of....should have happened 2 months ago.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!