cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone replace Formica counters with solid surface?

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced their Formica countertops with a solid surface? We're considering this but wasn't sure of the difficulty or expense or where to buy from. Would this be something Home Depot would do? Kind of like if one was remodeling a kitchen? Or is there a RV place that it can be ordered from?

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Crawfordville wrote:
Our problem is the edge of the formica is beginning to show signs of separation and with time it will only get worse. Our camper is less than one year old. We have already had them replace a portion of the countertop but we can tell that it will just have problems. I'm figuring part of the problem is that we live in a humid area.

If the laminate was coming away on the edges it could be the glue or it was trimmed too close and moisture is getting in. When you say they replaced part, what exactly did they do? and are you having problems with the fixed area or do you feel that the original may be coming apart? Either way, I would have suggested they replace it all. Since the problem is noted already then it should continue to be a warranty issue.I would not go to the expense of replacing things until all your options with the dealer/manufacturer are absorbed. If the work was done correctly, where you are living should not be a factor.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe the problem is with the supplier that the factory uses? I can't see how a counter could fail like that in under a year just because you may be in a humid area. We're in a humid area all winter long and doesn't cause problems here (that I've heard of). I would think it's more to do with water getting into the edges of the counter somehow. Maybe water has been dripping over the front edge and getting into the substrate and if MDF will swell up.

I don't see why you couldn't make a full-size template and order a new countertop in corian or formica complete with the sink cutout? Remove old and drop in the new. Walls in an RV can be wonky so a template would be mandatory unless you get a counter guy in.

We've got a solid surface countertop in our new TT and it has an under-mount stainless steel sink. Counter looks very nice but we're already worried about scratching it. Unless you really want the looks, I would stay with what you've got but from another source. It might be cheaper for the dealer to buy locally anyway and culd give you the chance to pick something nicer you like.

If your stove/range is next to the sink, they seem to often have a joint next to the cooktop and am not sure if that would have an impact on a complete new counter top. I'm guessing they do that because it's a weak point and could otherwise break?

Crawfordville wrote:
Our problem is the edge of the formica is beginning to show signs of separation and with time it will only get worse. Our camper is less than one year old. We have already had them replace a portion of the countertop but we can tell that it will just have problems. I'm figuring part of the problem is that we live in a humid area.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
should not be a problem getting a shop that specializes in countertops to fabricate one from solid surface material. while CORIAN was the original many companies now manufacture solid surface material. I have solid surface in my S&B. I like it for a number of reasons, one of the most important to me is that the countertop and the sink can be fabricated as an integral unit....no need for a separate sink makes cleaning easy and no gunk because there are no seams...they can also incorporate a backslash so what you end up with is one solid piece countertop-sink-backsplash

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby is a carpenter...does lots of kitchens. He suggests that you contact either a cabinet maker or a counter top shop. There are small shops that produce only counter tops. You possibly would get a better deal as they may have small pieces they can work with. How big of a surface are you looking at? Do you want new under mounted sinks? Is your cabinets solid enough to hold the weight?
As suggested you can replace your counter tops with a laminate. There are quite a few different manufacturers of laminate and some when done properly can imitate granite quite well. You can have the edges done to replicate those of granite etc.
Also, depending on the size of your counters, you should consider the extra weight.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced The Formica with Corian in an old Shasta.What I did was remove the Formica and glue the Corian to the existing base.The seam work the bulk of the task. Took 3 attempts to get it right.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who replaced all of his countertops in his 45 ft MoHo with a custom granite install. Yes expensive but sure looks great and has held up for the past 3 years travelling all over US and Canada with no probems.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Like GrandpaKip posted, a cabinet shop that also installs countertops can handle the installation. Home Depot may restrict installation to a residence because of legal wrangles. I do not know their policies.

If you currently have HPL (High Pressure Laminate--Formica, generically), you could replace that with a different style, color, or pattern. This is often cheaper as some solid surface countertops will change the height of your countertop and that may lead to more work for plumbing or backsplashes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes and Home Depot also sell a refinishing kit now to put a new surface on top of your existing laminate if you are just wanting to update the look. You paint it on. I saw a sample at Lowes and it seemed pretty durable.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides the box stores, you could try cabinetmakers. A lot of them are certified for solid surface tops.

Personally, even if I could buy the tops, I would go with plastic laminate and make them myself. To me, the laminate is less maintenance and that is a plus. I have 18 year old tops that I made in our kitchen and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Good luck with whichever you go with.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Crawfordville wrote:
Has anyone replaced their Formica countertops with a solid surface? We're considering this but wasn't sure of the difficulty or expense or where to buy from. Would this be something Home Depot would do? Kind of like if one was remodeling a kitchen? Or is there a RV place that it can be ordered from?

Thanks!

You'd have to call Home Depot and see. They price all their solid surface countertops with install included. They don't even sell without install included. They're all custom made, and they are manufactured and installed by a 3rd party, so Home Depot would have to find out if that 3rd party would do the installation.

I always found Lowes cheaper, and they always have certain colors on sale, usually about half the cost of any other colors. We had quartz countertops installed from Lowes and couldn't be happier with them.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The solid surfacein our 9 year old fifth wheel is perfect so far. Be aware solid surfaces while looking nice are prone to scratching. The one we had in our last house i was always polishing trying to get scratches out. It iseasy to repair, so any qualified installer can repair cracks pretty easily.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I am dealing with a crack in my Corian countertop at home after some 10 years of use. Don't know why it started.
My thought is that an RV bounces around much more than my house so I'm wondering if that would increase the possibility of cracks.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My guess would be that the job must be done by a qualified installer.

I know in the past Dupont Corian was very restrictive in selling materials. Only a licensed installer could even buy the materials.

The market has opened up some but it still isn't really a DIY project.

You probably can't even get plastic laminate (Formica) countertops that fit. RVs are a custom job. That said, laminate is not difficult to do if you are handy and the materials are widely available.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900