cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all Forest River products garbage?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm in the process of researching small TTs and came across a couple of units made by Forest River that caught my attention. Actually, both models are identical but sold under the Salem Cruise Lite and Wildwood X Lite.

I was very surprised to see so many negative comments made by existing Forest River owners that I'm thinking I may be better off to steer clear from Forest River products altogether.

The following link has over 150 complaints covering practically every single type of RV made by Forest River: Forest River complaints and reviews

I'm also looking at the TTs made by Pacific Coachworks and there's very little info on them since the company has only been in business since 2006. I wasn't able to find any negative comments.

I'd like to hear from fellow RV.net members about their experiences with small TTs made by Forest River and Pacific Coachworks. Please don't be shy, you can tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm also open to other brands that make decent small TTs.

Thanks in advance.
63 REPLIES 63

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
FR is a lot like many of the other RV conglomerate. As they aquire brands, they tend to bring them into the fold so to speak. Many of their different brands are pretty much all the same as far as floor plans and equiptment. Theyu differ mainly in cosmetics. THis is a efficient effective business model.

FR does have one division that they have let do their own thing.
The Palomino brand, which consists of the Puma and Sabre.
They are unlike anything else that FR has.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not http://youtu.be/iOBy6VInDZc

"jmtandem
If you have the coin, your search is over-- Airstream. Just get it and the quality is there as is longevity"

Community Alumni
Not applicable
720Deere wrote:
As a former FR Rockwood owner, I will say that I am not a fan of Forest River products. They use the same components that most other manufacturers use so it is not fair to judge them based on component failure complaints. My complaints about FR in general is poor attention to detail and poor construction techniques. Fit and finish is usually lacking on their trailers and you will find a higher percentage of little annoyance type failures.

All things considered, when you buy a FR trailer, you are not paying the same price that you would for KZ, Mobil Suites or any other top of the line models. The old adage that you get what you pay for rings true with Forest River. They are good for what they are (upper entry level units) and nothing more. Most of the complaints, including mine, come from people that probably expect more than they paid for.

I don't mind less than perfect fit and finish in a low-cost TT but I won't compromise on construction quality. Most of the negative owner comments that I read seem to stem from poor construction problems.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own a Wildwood that I bought used for a guest TT for my seasonal site. It's a entry level trailer no better or worse then others in the same price point. If you don't maintain them you will have problems and a lot of new owners do not realize this. Keystone and Forest River are the 2 largest brands and they make many different brands, models, and price points.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River and Keystone are two of the biggest RV makers in the US and you will probably find more complaints about those than any but it's just number of units produced. My take is that ANY and EVERY RV maker regardless of perceived quality will produce good units and bad units as borne out on this forum.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pacific Coachworks. Please don't be shy, you can tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

2009 299bhs Tango PCW and except for tires nothing has malfunctioned, no leaks, and no complaints. I don't think you will find many complaints as the units were/are well made. They were designed to be at the high end of the middle range for RV quality and the manufacturer met or exceeded that goal. They are not Airstream quality that equates to luxury but they are well constructed.

I share most of the above comments presented. More units equal more complaints, less units typically less complaints. Unless you have the statistics the complaint forums are almost useless. If PCW sells 1000 units a year and Keystone or Forest River sell 10,000 a year the number of complaints or lack of complaints mean nothing until equated to volume sold. Most will not comment about how great something is; rather only comment when their expectations are not met. Quality and RV probably should not be used in the same sentence. Do your own due diligence and look for yourself. I like to look at five year old units to see what and how they seem to hold up. That tells more than any salesman touting the benefits of some doo dad thing or floor plan. Go to a rally and wander around and look at all the units and make your own mind up.

If you have the coin, your search is over-- Airstream. Just get it and the quality is there as is longevity. Over 60 percent are still in use and they have been made since the mid 1930's. Buy one, keep it forever. The entry fee is steep; the life cycle costs are probably less than four or five box trailers one Airstream will outlast.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Given the fact that the RV industry was morphed and merged into a handful of owner consortiums over the past few years; I doubt that anyone can predict the quality future of any one TT brand.

In general completion leads to improved quality and the RV field certainly is competitive.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
xteacher wrote:
Salem and Wildwood are both entry level lines. You get what you pay for.

I don't necessarily subscribe to that theory. I had a $200K DP made by Monaco that was the biggest POS ever made.

I have also looked into the Lance trailers costing twice as much as the Forest Rivers and I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw in terms of "quality." There are plenty of negative comments on the net and in this forum regarding poor quality with Lance products.

Unfortunately, due to size and weight my choices seem rather limited.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
As a former FR Rockwood owner, I will say that I am not a fan of Forest River products. They use the same components that most other manufacturers use so it is not fair to judge them based on component failure complaints. My complaints about FR in general is poor attention to detail and poor construction techniques. Fit and finish is usually lacking on their trailers and you will find a higher percentage of little annoyance type failures.

All things considered, when you buy a FR trailer, you are not paying the same price that you would for KZ, Mobil Suites or any other top of the line models. The old adage that you get what you pay for rings true with Forest River. They are good for what they are (upper entry level units) and nothing more. Most of the complaints, including mine, come from people that probably expect more than they paid for.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
You've fell in the trap many new folks do when looking at a brand that sells more of those items than other brands do. Sure you will see more complaints as their are more units being used.

To by pass a Forrest River trailer because of what you read will have you bypassing many well made units.

I saw a comment about the chevy Dmax/A that a new person made after looking in on a couple of Dmax diesel websites and after reading several posts from guys seeking help with a issue came to the erroneous conclusion that all GM DMax/A trucks were bad.
Brand specific forum are a place we can find solutions to problems rather than brag about the product. So to a newby that doesn't read between the lines it may look like a junk product.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our Wildcat new about 9 years ago. Best RV we have had, about 99% trouble free.
pawatt

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Flagstaff
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Primetime is a division of Forest River and I am more than satisfied. Normal little issues that I would say most trailers have or could have. Before this trailer I had a Wildwood TT that we loved. It was not the Xlite but it was entry level. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I've a buddy with a Wildcat and he is well pleased with it. I don't think generalizations should apply. I had a bad Ford once, thus all Fords must be bad???
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here on this forum, there are many happy Flagstaff and Rockwood owners.

I'm on my second Flagstaff.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)