cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Water heater questions

independent_TJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a LOT of searching and can't find this specific answer.

Why is my g6a-7 (iirc) hot water heater not filling...(?)
--when connected to twist-on city water connection...
--water is making it TO the HOT FAUCETS...
--when I disconnect the city water connector/adaptor, I can press the pressure/stop valve with my finger and water SHOOTS OUT of the TT water system at high pressure..(stops city water pressure when the TT water lines reach a "specific pressure")..
--tapping the tank sounds empty..
--rocking the tank (not screwed/caulked yet) feels empty (light)..
--occasional sound of a little water splatter into the tank when I first turn on hot water faucets and "release the stop-pressure" of the city-connection pressure-stop valve.....but not filling..

I have also tried to let the hot faucets stay open for over an hour to "release the air from the hot water tank so it will fill".....but I never see any air released from the faucets. It is just straight water from the city connection....and it seems to bypass going into (filling) the hot water tank before going to the hot water faucets????

My hot water heater is 2.5 feet from the city water connection and the 1/2inch water line Tee's off: 1 line to the cold,....1 line to the inlet (bottom) connection on the hot water heater. The outlet (top) line goes into the wall toward the shower, bathroom, kitchen faucets. I do not see ANY shut off valves anywhere in the back bedroom that houses the "city water connection port" and the hot water heater.

This TT is new to me, but I do THINK the water heater was filling during the ONE time I tried to fill it in the past. However, the connection to the hot water heater inlet was leaking, and I also had to replace the rotted floor... So, after replacing the floor and replacing the twist-connect on the inlet, I put the water heater back in....and it isn't filling..

So, assuming both situations of before and after I completely drained the water heater and reinstalled it........what would make city water bypass the hot water heater and still make it to the faucets??
15 REPLIES 15

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
".what would make city water bypass the hot water heater and still make it to the faucets??"

You hit the nail right on the head! Your water heater is in winter by-pass mode. Somewhere you have either 1, 2 or 3 valves that divert the water from filling the water tank, but still allow water at the faucets. Find that water heater by-pass valve and you have solved your problem.