cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can trailer tires be patched?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of goodyear endurance tires on my TT and one of them has a nail in the tread about an inch in from the sidewall. The tire is only 2 years old. Can I take it to a shop and have it patched from the inside like I've done with car tires? Is this safe? Thanks.
34 REPLIES 34

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
B-n-B wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

Was that on the back tire of the trailer? I picked up a 3/8 bolt once had it repaired from the inside with no problems. Interesting it was the rear tire on the trailer that got the bolt.

Yep rear tire on passenger side.

I would bet most road hazard flats on TV/TT or 5th wheel units are rear passenger of trailer. Every time hit, but not picked up by a tire the crown of road will likely push it to right. Most of them just work over to shoulder, never damage a tire. Right side trailer tires are most likely to run on the shoulder. Plus, the tires on trailer tandem are running close together. In the lane or not, most time tire hits bolt or nail, it stands up. All other positions, it will fall back down. But when front trailer stands it up, it don't have much time to fall before the rear hits.

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 wrote:
B-n-B wrote:
First trip out in our last camper we picked up a 1/2 inch bolt. Discount patched it up and it worked fine.

Was that on the back tire of the trailer? I picked up a 3/8 bolt once had it repaired from the inside with no problems. Interesting it was the rear tire on the trailer that got the bolt.

Yep rear tire on passenger side.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2025 Bigfoot 10.4

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
B-n-B wrote:
First trip out in our last camper we picked up a 1/2 inch bolt. Discount patched it up and it worked fine.

FWIW, if the hole was greater than 1/4" then the "repair" was not in accordance with Industry Standards for a highway tire. Under some exceptions, repairs can be made on punctures up to 3/8" ( LT Steel Cord Body) tires.

Of all the tire stores out there, Discount Tire has had the reputation of playing fast and loose with tire repair guidelines. For years they use "rope type" tire plugs from the outside for almost all there puncture repairs.

Here's a link to the Tire Industry Association and their guide for PROPER tire repair:

Tire Repair/Tire Industry Association
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
A gentleman who spent 40 years with a major tire manufacturer told me that they can be patched (not plugged) - but, for safety, it reduces the load rating by one letter; e.g., if it's a load range E tire, patched it becomes a load range D tire.

Rob

I think I would need to know what positions that gentleman had in the tire industry.
Lifetime I have used a lot of tires though few where ST. I have never reduced the load I carried because of patch.
If the tire got a hole in the first tread I would plug from inside then patch. When due for 2nd re-cap I would trade the patched carcass let somebody else take the chance.

Tire engineer/designer. He sure knew his chemistry, too.

Rob

It's generally accepted that a tire can be repaired as long as the puncture is not in the shoulder or sidewall area. Ideally with a "Stem Repair" NOT PLUG. The stem's are cured rubber coated with a chemical vulcanizing material that will bond with the tire. Stem, once placed in hole is then cut off flush with the inside liner and covered with a patch. Many times, if hole is straight through tread, the shop will use a Stem/Patch combination repair where both are in a single unit and can be installed in a single operation.

A repair like this will restore the tire to it's original load rating but NOT SPEED RATING. It's recommended by all tire Mfr's that a repaired tire be downrated one SPEED rating, not load rating.

A proper repair on any tire, car, Light Truck, Semi, or ST trailer tire will last for the remaining life of the tire.

FWIW, I spend 17 years of my career teaching proper tire repair to employees of a 500+ store tire "chain". We used the training and materials of Tech Inc. a large tire repair material manufacturer.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
A gentleman who spent 40 years with a major tire manufacturer told me that they can be patched (not plugged) - but, for safety, it reduces the load rating by one letter; e.g., if it's a load range E tire, patched it becomes a load range D tire.

Rob

I think I would need to know what positions that gentleman had in the tire industry.
Lifetime I have used a lot of tires though few where ST. I have never reduced the load I carried because of patch.
If the tire got a hole in the first tread I would plug from inside then patch. When due for 2nd re-cap I would trade the patched carcass let somebody else take the chance.

Tire engineer/designer. He sure knew his chemistry, too.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
B-n-B wrote:

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
I used to work in a tire shop. We would not repair trailer tires, even with an inside umbrella patch.

Many shops took that policy because they were concerned with liability. Having patched hundreds of tires from wheelbarrow to semi trucks I have had no issues with patching, always from the inside though. Back in the day we did not have the type of plug and patch combo they have today. If in a pinch I would not hesitate to plug a tire from the outside to get me to a facility to have it dismounted. Using fix a flat is messy and dangerous to the tire repairman. Always let them know if you used it.

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III

2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2025 Bigfoot 10.4

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Plug or patch is fine if done properly. Did hundreds of them back when turning wrenches paid the rent. Mostly plugs and no issues.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
as mentioned as long as the puncture is within the repairable area and within the repairable dimensions for size it should be able to be repaired. Now the only approved repair method from almost or all tire mfg is a combo plug/patch. Usually done with a mushroom shaped patch. the patch is pulled through from the inside to keep water etc. out of the cord and the patch on the inside provides the patch.
requires dismounting the tire from the rim.

I have had one ST tire repaired this way by discount tire for a nail in the tread area. No issues

X2 on discount tires.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
One of my Endurance tires picked up a nail and developed a slow leak. I took it to Discount Tire where I had purchased the set. They dismounted the tire and plugged it plus put a patch on the inside. I could hear the tire leaking air as I was reinstalling it, so I took it back. Their tech had ground the inside of the tire into the cords and the inner patch wouldn't hold (nor the plug, I guess). I left an hour later with a no charge new tire. Two companies that stood behind their products/services.

X2 on discount Tire. I have had very good and fast service with Discount Tire. Last summer they were the only tire dealer in Salt Lake City that had a set of Endurance tires for my 5th wheel. Even the Goodyear dealers could not come up with a set.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ford truck guy wrote:
Yes, Like dodge Guy stated it is ok to patch as long as itโ€™s done proper..

Yep, there are certain types of punctures and/or positions on the tire where you can't patch but really no different from a car/truck tire for most simple nail holes in the tread.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
One of my Endurance tires picked up a nail and developed a slow leak. I took it to Discount Tire where I had purchased the set. They dismounted the tire and plugged it plus put a patch on the inside. I could hear the tire leaking air as I was reinstalling it, so I took it back. Their tech had ground the inside of the tire into the cords and the inner patch wouldn't hold (nor the plug, I guess). I left an hour later with a no charge new tire. Two companies that stood behind their products/services.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I used to work in a tire shop. We would not repair trailer tires, even with an inside umbrella patch.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:

Rob