cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coming to the darkside

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
Well here we come... just traded in our 2013 Kodiak hybrid on a 2015 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS. from towing 23 feet to 37 feet... lord help me what the heck was i thinking?
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog
62 REPLIES 62

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to end covers that might work for you.

PopUpGizmos

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
therink wrote:
Good call. Trailer regret is the worst thing. My advice is when and if you upgrade trucks, skip the 3/4 ton/2500 and get a SRW 3500. This will give you about 1,000 lbs additional legal payload and doesn't change the ride quality. Less than a grand price difference. Also if you plan on getting a 37' trailer, consider a fifth wheel. They are so much easier to tow and have tons of room. I had a 35' TT and kept it one year before moving to a fifth. It was a waste of $. Just my 2 cents.
Now that I am on my second fifth wheel, I will never go back to a TT.
This is my plan. My current setup is OK for the use we get from it. The plan is to buy a SRW 3500 and then later, a suitable fiver.

In the mean time, don't they make something that covers the tent ends of hybrid TT's?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well you have the facts and the procedure for a proper TT and TV combo.

Look at it as a three legged stool. Floor plan, Tow vehicle and Cost. All three have to be right.

It is supposed to be an enjoyable hobbie not a source of frustration.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mike Up wrote:
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:
Ya'll can stop... not gonna happen... thanks for the input. We'll use the HTT for next year and upgrade the truck. Won't be looking for a TT until after next season... the more i thought about it.... the more it makes sense. I'll invest in some heated mattress covers, since he biggest complaint I get is the DW being cold. I'm always fine... she not so much.

Thank you for all the input.

Great decision!! Plus if you can make the shorter trailer work, it will be a blessing as long trailers suck in not being able to get good state park sites. Mine is only 29' yet I'm disappointed in not being able to get the great sites I had with my 22.5' trailer. But I needed the room due to a growing family.

Good decision, as stated before skip the 250/2500 and get a 350/3500, for more more payload.

Then that opens up the possibility of a 5er, more storage, WAY better tow experience!

On the mattress pad get a queen with dual controls, that way your side off DW on High! ๐Ÿ™‚
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
Good call. Trailer regret is the worst thing. My advice is when and if you upgrade trucks, skip the 3/4 ton/2500 and get a SRW 3500. This will give you about 1,000 lbs additional legal payload and doesn't change the ride quality. Less than a grand price difference. Also if you plan on getting a 37' trailer, consider a fifth wheel. They are so much easier to tow and have tons of room. I had a 35' TT and kept it one year before moving to a fifth. It was a waste of $. Just my 2 cents.

X2, if you want something longer than 32', I would go to a 5th wheel. TT heavy tongue weights will require Class 5 hitch and very very good sway control.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just so you will know. there are thousands of lighter TTs that your 1500 can tow with ease. Example. Mine is 31', and weighs ready to camp, a little under 6000lbs. It sleeps 10 comfortably, and is very easy to tow.

you do not have to get a super heavy TT. No need really.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, most people never do what you just did so congrats. There are many many people on here that have bitten off more camper than they could chew, myself included. I had a 2500HD with the 6.0 and fought handling and power issues.
I know it seems like everyone wants to pile on you but we just hate seeing other people make the same mistakes we've made.
IMO, that trailer would have a tongue weight around 1400-1600lbs. That may seem hard to believe but it's true. I've always said Jayco's numbers are VERY conservative. Brochure TW on mine was 970 lbs, but it hit the scale at 1480lbs loaded somewhat lightly.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Double post
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:
Ya'll can stop... not gonna happen... thanks for the input. We'll use the HTT for next year and upgrade the truck. Won't be looking for a TT until after next season... the more i thought about it.... the more it makes sense. I'll invest in some heated mattress covers, since he biggest complaint I get is the DW being cold. I'm always fine... she not so much.

Great decision!! Plus if you can make the shorter trailer work, it will be a blessing as long trailers suck in not being able to get good state park sites. Mine is only 29' yet I'm disappointed in not being able to get the great sites I had with my 22.5' trailer. But I needed the room due to a growing family.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:

Good decision...you have avoided making the same mistake I did...I didn't listen.

Don't give up on it....and good luck next season when you start the process again.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:

I think you've made a wise decision. Still, if you were only going to tow short distance on easy terrain it might have been a reasonable risk, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to plan a trip to Colorado or down the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
That's way more trailer than I'd want to try to pull with any half ton, regardless of how it's equipped or what tires it has.

Congrats on the trailer - it looks very nice. Hopefully there's enough left in the bank for a truck that can handle it safely.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer

Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FerrisFamilyof5 wrote:
i'm at 9600 lbs towing capacity. I'm going to be close. I don't fill water tank, just added up family weight... I have about 600 lbs of wiggle room for gear. (that's starting with the dry weight). I already told the DW it's going to be tough. Won't be camping until May, so I have time to upgrade the tow vehicle if i have to. dry weight is 7710. I'm a bit nervous, but also excited. I know for a fact i will have a new tow vehicle in time for our trip to Myrtle Beach in April 2017.

Well one more reality check these are the specs on the TT.

Technical Specifications:
Length 37' 3"
Height 11' 5"
Dry Weight 7,710#
Payload Capacity 2,265#
GVWR 9,975#
Hitch Weight(DRY) 920#

Long Tall and Heavy.

The 1500 has 3,950# axle ratings, I see the Tail wagging the dog. That and the GVWR of the TT is more than the MAX towing capacity of the TV.

Just wondering how far is the tow home, and is there a scale on the way?? Do you have new bars for the WDH, to cover the extra weight of the new TT.

What is the power Train in the 1500 Engine, Trans, and axle ratio?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"