cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

MarionMedic
Explorer
Explorer
What??

Is everyone too broke to do any mods this year???
1997 Chevy 3500 LWB Crew-Cab Dually 6.5 turbo-diesel
2005 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS

Visit FREEDOM OF THE ROAD.

MarionMedic
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Schriber wrote:
That's funny! The same thought crossed my mind, especially since my generators are back there locked to racks on the bumper.

Mike

Sure would be helpful to find a culprit.
And to assure he had permanent lodging in the "Graybar Inn".

copter
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Schriber wrote:
Just did another mod. I wanted to have power under the awning to run lights or a 12v lantern while dry camping. I have an outlet I installed on the battery box but that's a long way away.

I did some thinking and decided that I could put an outlet on the refrigerator access panel/vent (versus drilling a hole through the side of the trailer) and grab power from the fridge 12v supply.

It works great. I can still get in there to work and the outlet is fuse protected.

Mike

I did a similiar mod. I took a 12' white extension cord and used 3M double stick tape and mounted the outlet in the power awning arm. I ran the wire along with the power wire for the awning back into the front storage compartment and soldered the plug back on. I then mounted a 12V cig lighter and used a cheap inverter to run off of the house battery. Plug in my LED rope lights and all is good.

I also did the poop tube light a while back and can't be without it.
06 GRAYSTONE LBZ | MBRP 4" TURBO BACK | NOR*CALTRUCK 4-6 LIFT | AMP STEPS | 4300k HID'S | KMC DIESELS
06 COACHMEN ADRENALINE 314FS TOY HAULER | CLEAR LEDS | A&E POWER AWNING | ON BOARD AIR
05 HONDA 450R & HONDA 400EX

Bajahaha
Explorer
Explorer
We have two external accessory lights which are made from yellow trailer clearance lights.

One was installed under and behind the exterior step cavity so as to not interfere with the step when stored or deployed.

The other one was installed under the trailer adjacent to the sewage drain.

Both provide adequate but not over powering illumination.

They are wired into the external trailer porch light and are controlled by that switch.

We have discover in only one years usage they have become a necessity. Certainly recommend it as a modification.

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny! The same thought crossed my mind, especially since my generators are back there locked to racks on the bumper.

Mike
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 37' bunkhouse

MarionMedic
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like those "backup cameras" could also be used for investigating "bumps in the night" at the rear of your trailer without going outside.

Hook to a recording device, and might be able to record any "mis-deeds".
(like the mysterious vanishing spare tire)

jiga20001
Explorer
Explorer
tomhole wrote:
I added a light at the dump outlet for the same reason you cited. I just bought a cheapo 12V patio light from the local camp store and wired it into the camper. I think I tapped into the main battery line running from the tongue to the inverter. That was easy to access and always on. Here's a pic of the light:

The big red wire is for my FloJet. The wiring for the light is tucked under the frame somewhere.

Tom

Cool! Thanks for the pic.
Jeff
97 Sandpiper, 14' slide
MY MARTIN TRUEX FORUM

tomhole
Explorer
Explorer
I added a light at the dump outlet for the same reason you cited. I just bought a cheapo 12V patio light from the local camp store and wired it into the camper. I think I tapped into the main battery line running from the tongue to the inverter. That was easy to access and always on. Here's a pic of the light:

The big red wire is for my FloJet. The wiring for the light is tucked under the frame somewhere.

Tom
Wife, 2 girls 14 & 11, 2 mini schnauzers, 2 cats, a pig and a fish
2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4, DC, SR5, 5.7L, 6 spd, 4.30 rear
2005 Toyota Sienna XLE
2008 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2701SS
F/A-18 Hornet 0-175 mph in 2 seconds

jiga20001
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess my next question would be, Are there 12 volt motion lights?
I will have to go visit my little friend MR.GOOGLE
Jeff

Edit: I just stepped away and thought about it for a minute. A motion light would not make much sense seeing as how there is a horse paddock within 8 feet of the black tank valve. That paddock has two baby filly's in it at the moment that tend to run around a bit at night. So that light would be going on and off all night.
So my next thought would be a solar light. But the valves are on the north side of the rig which would get zero direct sunlight.
So the decision has been made, I will wire directly from the rv battery (fuse in between) to a switch on the south side of the rig (where my patio is)and run wires to a light directionally above the valves.
I will post pics soon after I do this mod.
Happy RVING
Jeff
97 Sandpiper, 14' slide
MY MARTIN TRUEX FORUM

jiga20001
Explorer
Explorer
Pitapony wrote:
Why not just put up a battery operated motion light?

The whole battery operated thing has always turned me off a little bit. I just never liked the idea of going to turn something on when you really need it only to find out your batteries are dead. Then you have yet another job on your hands. Installing batteries in the dark.
I am thinking it would work better for me to wire something directly to the 12 volt system. What you are talking about would more than likely work great for someone using there RV for what it was intended for, Camping. But for someone that lives in there rig full time (guess I should have mentioned that) a more permanent solution makes more sense.
Thanks so much for the input though.
Jeff
And you just put motion light in my head which I was not thinking.
Thanks again
97 Sandpiper, 14' slide
MY MARTIN TRUEX FORUM

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just put up a battery operated motion light?
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

jiga20001
Explorer
Explorer
So I went out to "Dump the dump" last night. Feeling around in the pitch dark trying to find the valve to the black water tank. Well I found it and got the job done but instantly thought " I need to wire a 12 volt light out here on a switch".
I am guessing the newer Rv's have them (If not they should), But I am wondering if anyone has made this mod on there older campers.
I will be doing mine soon. At least before I need to empty the tank again and will post pics of what I come up with.
Thanks
Jeff
PS: If there is already a thread on someone already doing this, Please post a link if you know where it is.
Thanks again.
97 Sandpiper, 14' slide
MY MARTIN TRUEX FORUM

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
I received a bunch of private messages with questions so I figured I'd make a followup post so everyone could benefit.

First the 12v outlet. The jack itself is a Sea Dog marine outlet that I purchased online. I've had the same thing on my battery box for more than a year with no issues or leaks.

Here's a picture behind the access door...

The power is tapped right off the terminal block for the refrigerator. The jack has spade terminals on the back so removing the access door is still easy.

Here's another view of the camera...

As for the tow vehicle, I already have a backup camera installed on my Suburban. I put in an A/B switch so all I have to do is hitch up, connect the camera (one plug) and throw the switch...

I'll find out just how handy the camera is on our next trip in two weeks.

Mike

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,
How did you put the power plug in the ref. door? also where did you purchase that particular one?

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, no screens on the fridge vents or the furnace intake/exhaust. That's the beauty of living out west!

Well, besides camping all year round that is!

Mike

Pitapony wrote:
Mike, you don't have screening on your 'fridge vents! Shame on you.