cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge Ram trucks buyback ordered

My_Blue_Heaven
Explorer
Explorer
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just ordered Fiat Chrysler to buy back 500,000 Ram trucks and Jeeps. (link)

This is an FYI, not a flame on Chrysler. Not trying to start a brand wars thread.
2001 F350 Lariat CC 4WD 7.3 PSD dually, chipped, 4" SS exhaust, 350 hp, Rancho 9000's, front receiver, front & rear Roadmasters
2009 Arctic Fox 990S, storm windows, Cummins/Onan, FastGuns, Torklifts
44 REPLIES 44

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
You can rest assured that Chrysler won't pay you any more than current "blue book" value for a truck.

What they're counting on is that most people will not accept the buyback, due to the fact that they're coming out on the short end of the stick.

I think you are correct.... Blue book minus milage and condition of wear and tear,

I doubt that any one with a vehicle over 2 years old will get enough to make the down payment on a new truck of a different brand.

And who in their right mind would buy a used vehicle with a recall notice on it's vin.... if there is a safety issue you might not be able to licence it.

The TV news tonight was going after Mustangs at the car rental places... Hertz, Avis, said that they will no longer rent them out.... so ford has troubled too.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
"Oh yeah!
The 4X4 front axle carp!!"
Hey! Where's my carp? I want some carp!
Mine didn't come with any.
After going thru a class action suit on the Jeep XJ Bendix 9 anti-lock brakes I can say he only way to get a mfgr. to force a recall is if it is an obvious safety issue.
It's interesting to note how much conjecture is appearing on this thread compared to facts. Just a thought.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
They checked my 07 and said there was no problem. I spent $2k replacing hubs, ball joints, and steering linkage. I womder if i can get my money back?
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The federal order allows Fiat to repair and resell the bought-back trucks. If that's possible, why can't Fiat fix these trucks for their owners instead of low-balling them with bluebook values?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
slickrock steve wrote:
Oh yeah!
The 4X4 front axle carp!!
That is also being done if you have 4X4. I do not.

Buying back 500,000 3/4 ton and up
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
My 2010 had a recall and repairs were done on the front steering and suspension. I guess I am in the 60% of those who had repairs made.

Our friends also had the repairs done on their 2012. The issue as I understand it is those repairs didn't necessarily correct the problem.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think buy-back and bail-out with Chrysler are related.
Remind me who is paying for them?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2010 had a recall and repairs were done on the front steering and suspension. I guess I am in the 60% of those who had repairs made.

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah!
The 4X4 front axle carp!!
That is also being done if you have 4X4. I do not.

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
WHAT is this "buy back"????
The only thing I have received for my "05" 3500, is a notice for airbag sensor replacement, that they do not have the part for yet, and relates to the same carp as the Takata air bag fiasco.
THAT one started with Hondas, and Toyotas I think.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
languiduck wrote:
My Blue Heaven wrote:

This is an FYI, not a flame on Chrysler. Not trying to start a brand wars thread.

I wish this could be the case, but we all know where it will lead and the bickering that will ensue.
I don't see where this agreement is helpful to the consumer in any way. Does someone else see something I don't see? An owner is free to trade their truck in any time they wish.

Where you gonna trade a truck on the buy back list? All the dealer know about the problem. No one wants it. that is why Ram should make it good. To prevent a huge loss to their customers, and IF they do that. They may not lose all their customers, and go out of business. So, it is in Chrysler's best interest to make their customers experience right. their business depends on it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
I used to work as a warranty claims representative for a large dealer network. We only handled claims on vehicles outside of the manufacturer warranties (i.e., extended warranty claims). This should have happened to Dodge/RAM a LONG time ago. We probably spent hundreds of thousands, if not millions, just on warranty repairs for sub-standard Dodge/RAM steering components/design.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

poriggity
Explorer
Explorer
I'll stick with my 04, that's given me 11 years of problem free driving, with regular maintenance. That being said, I know ALOT of other RAM owners who had these issues, so I am glad something is being done.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, Long bed quad cab, 315x70x17 Falken AT3W, Timbren SES

No RV at the moment, but in a couple weeks will be the proud owners of a new 2019 No Boundaries 19.5 TT.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Super_Dave, was your truck state safety inspection in California?

Wayne

Just registered the truck for Utah. They have yearly safety inspections. The registration fee dropped from almost $500/year to $120/year.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
You can't imagine the millions going to be made by dealers doing all kinds of imaginative deals on buy back trucks.