cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E load tire pressures for daily use and how I came to it.

TNrob
Explorer
Explorer
I used Google to find a Firestone commercial tire loading and pressure pamphlet.

This is the PDF page that I found.

According to it the minimum tire pressure required to set both front and rear axles to 5360 pounds for a LT275/70R18 (my Ram 2500) is 50 psi.

I went through weigh tickets from my existing TT and my old 1500 and found that the most the TRUCK ONLY rear weight above daily use on any trip was 620. The most the TT tongue weight ever scaled with fresh tank full and a load of baggage and food was 700 pounds. So I add 700 heavy tongue to bed full of firewood and come up with 1320. I round to 2000 with heavy duty new truck because I can.

New truck scales at 3000 rear and 3960 front, full of fuel and all sorts of truck stuff like tow straps, tie downs, jumper cables, etc., and my emergency bug in backpack full of too much stuff to recount--but no she or me.

I arbitrarily took new truck rear and added a rounded up 1000 pounds each for both excessive cargo plus excessive tongue weight and came to 5000 pounds rear axle. I looked at the table and found that 50 psi in the rear tires would readily accommodate 5360. That's 10 psi below factory recommended 60 psi for the front axle--whether loaded heavy or light--though not quite enough to carry the factory front axle rating of 5500 pounds.

Front axle is only 4000 pounds, and even heavily loaded (for my purposes) with 2000 pounds of tongue and other cargo, with even half of that distributed to the front axle rather than the rear; front axle will never carry more that 5000 pounds.

Again consulting the Firestone pamphlet, I determine that 50 psi in all four tires will more than cover anything I throw at my truck tires whether running light to work and back, hauling a big load of home improvement from a box store, or pulling my current camper loaded even to its GVWR of 6800 pounds. It's overkill, even.

TPMS system be danged. I will deflate my tires to 50 psi all around before I leave for work in the morning. At 50 psi it will be safe to do all I ever ask of the truck or the tires, and after I scale it a time or two with camping cargo loaded and hooked up I'll adjust it from there if I decide it might be lowered. If I ever find the perfect 5er I'll up it to 80 in the rear and 60 in the front for towing.

FCA will get a nasty-gram this week on the hazards of over inflated tires and the willful negligence required to put millions of such vehicles on the road in an effort to avoid a few extra paragraphs in the owners manual designed to educate owners on the proper management of tire pressure.

If anyone finds a flaw in my above inflation logic, please let me know so that I can better adjust both my understanding and my tire pressures.

And before I make an *** of myself in my nasty-gram to Ram.

Cheers from East Tennessee.
20 REPLIES 20

TNrob
Explorer
Explorer
Now that they're adjusted I'll continue to watch tire wear and see how it's working. At factory setting both front and rear, especially rear, were wearing in the center. Almost an inch of the outside tread on the rear hadn't ever touched asphalt in over 1400 miles.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 with mowermech. A primitive but workable way to check is to pour some water in front on a tire and observe the the tread pattern it lays down on dry pavement.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, one should always consider the tread wear patterns when determining the correct tire pressure.
If the tread is wearing mostly in the center, reduce the pressure.
If the tread is wearing mostly on the edges, increase the pressure.
If the tread is wearing evenly, the pressure is just right.
What is important is the "contact patch", the size of the patch where the rubber meets the road. That patch should always be as large as possible, to ensure safety. That can only be achieved with the correct tire pressure for the existing load!
Tire pressures shown on the door jamb sticker (at least the ones I have seen) show the pressures needed for maximum GVW or GAW. If the rig isn't loaded that heavy, you do not need that pressure!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
I just got finished setting up my new TPMS on my Suburban tonight. Door jam says 50 PSI front, 80 rear. So that's what I put them at. Did some Googling and some people go with the door jam, others don't. We're headed to Wyoming next week on a trip (not towing anything) and I plan on keeping the PSI where it's at...mostly because that's what the door jam says.

But now after reading this I'm reconsidering...
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"

blt2ski
Hmmmmmmm..... been there doing this for close to 30 years with 25/35 series pickumups. This is new? My current regarding cab 2500 weighs all of 5600 with me and a full tank of gas. Take me out, remove pipe rack, down below 5000 lbs empty. I could get away.with lr d tires most of.the time. UNTIL I come out of a rock quarry three weeks ago with 5600 lbs of rock in the bed, 10800 gvw!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you are spot on. I always wondered why Ram demanded 80 PSI for the TPMS on the 2500. At 80 PSI those tires are rated for 7000 lbs I think... WELL over the axle rating and WELL over the derated 10K GVWR.

I think the older Rams had a switch for loaded vs unloaded driving. It sounds foolish to me. I would LOVE to hear their logic for this...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS