cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory hitch corrosion control

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
I was working on my 2008 Silverado 1500 and decided to drop the factory hitch to clean it up, remove the rust, and repaint it. I would like to do something to the inside of the tube that runs perpendicular to the frame rails to clean it out and control/prevent/slow down any further corrosion. Any suggestions?

Tom
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
9 REPLIES 9

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
A friend lives in salt covered Maryland. His 2006 Chevy had a hitch rusted so bad that it was very unsafe. He replaced it with a heavier after-market hitch. Look for damage before covering it up with paint.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
That Must For Rust sure intrigued me.

To this point I always thought rust had to be treated with something like phosphoric acid to convert the iron oxide to iron phosphate.

Anybody know how the must for rust works chemically?

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
I had to get my truck back on the road quickly to tow a trailer. What I ended up doing was loop a rope through the hitch tube and run a several wadded up orange/onion bags through to loosen up and remove as much of the crud as possible. I banged the hitch vertically a few times to remove the loosened material. I then took a few rags soaked in Rustoleum that I had on hand and ran it through the tube a bunch of times, adding paint to the rags each time. For a quickie fix it seemed to work ok.
Equil-I-zer hitch

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
POR-15

+1. Don't need to clean the rust out, it reacts with the rust. Fill the tube, shake hitch to get the POR-15 to cover the inside, dump excess. Will not rust again....

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe have it powder coated.

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
The outside of the hitch is not problem - it is how to get inside the hitch tube which has a bend in the middle where the square receiver is welded.
Equil-I-zer hitch

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have access, sandblast the hitch then apply a 2 part zinc rich epoxy primer followed by a urethane top coat. that would be the best you could get.
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
POR-15

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use Must For Rust on everything. The nice part is, it is easy to use, you just spray it on and leave it.