cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bag Suspension Problems :M

Pathfinder450
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so I'm at my local Ford dealer dealing with a dead battery due to the camera monitor draining my battery strength. Got it replace from my warranty. As they bring my truck and truck camper up to where I was I noticed that the back end of the truck is sitting really low. I asked them to please check the Air Bag pressure and one side is set at 75 and the passenger side is saying 0! So he put air into the bag and it goes back up but as soon as he disengages the back end with the camper goes right back down! My bag has a hole in it.

So I take it to a place that works on putting them in and sure enough there's a hole in the bag and the other side is not far either from having a failure. In looking at it the bags (both sides) were on the truck were for an F450 Cab & Chassis and not for a pick up truck. The airbags were hitting the tires causing them to wear out. So I called the place were I got the camper in Portland OR. and they also installed the air bags too and they assured me that they installed the right ones. They said that they installed 2535 as this is what Firestone recommended thus saying they didn't make any mistake. So I get home and I check the air bags that were on the truck and they were the 2535 model. Then I went to the Firestone site and check out the Ford F-450 Ride-Rite 2535 Ride-Rite air bags and they are set up for a 2011 - 2012 2 WD only Pickup Truck. They should have used the Ride-Rite air bags model number 2176 for a Ford F-450 Commercial Vehicle instead!

Instead of going the route of getting new Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bag's I opted to getting Super Springs instead so I never will have to do this again. I was thinking of going with the air bag again plus getting a On board air gauge so that in case they got too low I could get the pressure back again till I heard what the price would be. Another $500 bucks! Not worth it for me plus the interior real estate would take a toll which I wasn't willing to give up.

I'm not going to mention where I got the camper in hopes that they do the right thing! If not I will make a post for buyer be aware.
2012 Ford F-450 FX4
2012 Chalet TS-116
Torklift Front and Back
Fastgun Turnbuckles w/ Fastgun Locks
Titan V Ext 36'/41"
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags
7 Year USA Travel Care Extended Warranty
10 REPLIES 10

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
Pathfinder450,
Sorry to hear about your truobles, and I'm glad you got it taken care of. So where did you buy the SuperSprings and what is the model# / rating? I may look into ditching my airbags in the future.
Thanks!
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
I almost ordered the 2535s for my 2012 f350 but then double checked the part numbers and for the gasoline engine it is part number 2550. Must have some different mounting brackets because of the different exhaust systems.

Kind of wished I just went to the spring shop and beefed up my suspension instead when I hear horror stories like this. Only bought the bags because amazon had them for about half the dealer price at 330 some bucks and they shipped them 2 day air to Alaska for free.

Getting them installed in 2 weeks, hopefully all will be well!

explore4days
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of the ride rite bags on my 2000 Tacoma 4X4 Xtra-cab TRD.
For the 1st year no issues , but after 1.5 years the metal failed.
That's right the metal bracket bent causing the bag to leak, it is so weak it could be bent back by hand.
FTR my camper is a Four wheel camper (Eagle @ 800lbs)so we NEVER carry loads that warrant metal failure.
And FTR(for the record)my heavy side is the Drivers side which is ok.
Hard to believe, but Firestone said it is strong enough and they have never heard of an issue like mine.:h
Strange because I found a 4 wheel drive shop that regularly recommends adding more metal to beef up Firestone's factory supplied brackets.
In total fairness I should mention only the passenger side failed,
as it NEVER fit well which is the main strain for the thin metal.
Others beware the brackets are VERY CHEAPLY made for the 2K Tacoma.
They could not ship me a new bracket if I paid for it.
Wish I had chosen a different manufacturer.
Look elsewhere seriously.
I will have photos available eventually if anyone questions my statement. 1st I need a higher quality replacement.

Rexsname
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us posted as to your success with the Super Springs, I too have a set of failed Ride-rite air bags.

REX

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
You will be better off with the Supersprings anyway. No failure and dependable.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
The 2535 kit fits both 2WD and 4X4 for the F450 pickup for years 2011 - 2014

They do not fit the chassis cab.

kit # 2176 fits the F450 Chassis Cab for year models 2005 thru 2014 both 2WD and 4X4..
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
Javi1 wrote:
Since the 2535's mount inboard of the springs, I don't understand how they could have rubbed on the tires..

x2

2176's mount on the leaf spring and more at risk of contact with tires
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

Pathfinder450
Explorer
Explorer
Hello jimh425 and Javi1 , I did check the valve stem for tightness at the Ford dealer. That wasnโ€™t the problem. It was the bags rubbing on the tires. As far as the 2535's according to the Firestone Website, since they are also the makers of these 2535โ€™s bags they are for a Ford F-450 2 wheel drive Cab & Chassis frame and not for a 4x4 pickup truck frame. Since the frame is also different in the overall design according to the place that was doing the repairs. I looked at the bags and there were only a ยผ inch space between the bags and the tires. Every time going around a curve in the road would cause the camper to move to one side and therefore causing the bags to rub against the tires. I could see the bags having a rubbed markโ€™s on them. The passenger side rubbed so much that that the bags had a hole in them. After the bags had damage from friction causing them not to hold air or pressure. This info I also got from looking at the Firestone Website at submitting my Make, Model and Year in the search boxes for a Ford, F-450 and a 2012 http://www.firestoneip.com/RideRite/kitSearch.aspx , they show the 2535โ€™s are intended for a 2 Wheel Drive only and not for a 4 Wheel Drive which I have. The 2012 Ford F-450 Commercial Vehicle frame, 4 Wheel Drive call for the 2176 model.
I will try to take a picture of the bags in hopes the photos will show the flat marks and hole from the bags rubbing against the tire.
Thanks,
Thomas
2012 Ford F-450 FX4
2012 Chalet TS-116
Torklift Front and Back
Fastgun Turnbuckles w/ Fastgun Locks
Titan V Ext 36'/41"
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags
7 Year USA Travel Care Extended Warranty

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
Since the 2535's mount inboard of the springs, I don't understand how they could have rubbed on the tires..
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the valve stem tighteness. I'm assuming they didn't test the bag. Mine had the same problem all of a sudden. Tightening the stem made it hold air.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member