cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fun finder slide problems

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
I Have A 2014 fun Finder 266 KIRB Bought It At The End Of The Year Last Year And Went To Pick Up And They Couldn't Get The Big Slide In. Now I Used It For The Third Time And Had The Same Problem Again. Just Wondering If They Are Noted For Having Slide Issues?
8 REPLIES 8

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I did a search and read some posts. First of all, in many of the threads, there were many folks who chimed in and said they had zero problems.

Second, of those who had problems, one thing we do not know, is were they trying to run slide rooms in and out while the trailer is not level ? Having spent many, many nights in various campgrounds, what I see is all sorts of "user error" out there.

And we also still don't know what percentage of the trailers being produced are using this brand of slide vs. others. Knowing how many actual units are in use and what the failure rate is would shed some more light on this whole subject.

Unfortunately all too often what we get on internet forums is, "I had a failure", or "I know a guy that had a failure"....and this eventually expands into, "that system or product is junk".
Sometimes maybe it is. Sometimes not.
I'm not willing to say this brand of slideout is 100% perfect. What I am trying to say is, without all the facts, all we are doing is making a guess.

To the OP, I go back to one of my original premises regarding RV'ing, and that is, "some assembly required", and "you need to enjoy tinkering".
Call the whole thing an industry with poor QC.....ok, I'll agree with that.....but for me personally, it's worth the hassle, it's worth having to fix a few things, because the pay-off more than makes up for it.
Others....well, not so much. It's why some folks try RV'ing, and then give it up in short order, and find something else to do with their time and money.
I've also owned boats ( still have one ), have raced and street ridden motorcycles ( still have three ), worked on two different car racing teams ( done with that ), and have shown horses ( still have and show horses ). All the things in life that have given me the most pleasure, have come with fairly steep "maintenance issues".
If you think maintaining your RV is work, try showing horses.
Loads of activities out there that are far more labor intensive than fixing a slide room in a trailer.

Buy tools. Get good at using them. Take the family camping. Have fun around the campfire. Life is short.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Type in Schwintek into the search and you will have ten pages to read.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
fatboy66 wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
No, the Schwintek slide is not noted for that. Have you watched the Schwintek troubleshooting videos and checked your camper based on those tips ?

EDIT: do a search for schwintek slide video

Sorry, but that is so totally not true.

Ok....do you have some industry statistics you can share with us as to numbers in service, percentage of market share, and failure data ?

fatboy66
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
No, the Schwintek slide is not noted for that. Have you watched the Schwintek troubleshooting videos and checked your camper based on those tips ?

Sorry, but that is so totally not true.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Well, sorry to hear you're having issues, but if it were mine, I would have kept it home and fixed it myself. I sure as heck could fix it myself in far less than a couple of weeks.
But, having said that, I really do understand folks who want, and expect, to get these kinds of issues taken care of by warranty.

Far as I, personally am concerned, minor issues like these are more easily dealt with at home in my own shop.

As for the schwintek system, I see it as a very simple, easy to deal with solution to moving a slide room in and out. It was one of the reasons I bought the trailer I did. I like simple, because it generally makes it more reliable, and is also easier to effect field repairs. There are a lot of them in service.

Good luck with it. Hopefully they won't keep it too long.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, Schwintek is very well know to have problems. You might edit the title to Schwintek slide problems and find more info.

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
Yes have watched some of the videos. Had to bypass the safeties just to get it to work so I could go camping this past weekend. Now dealer is telling me it will be more than 2-3 weeks to get it fixed. Furnace wouldn't work either this weekend. Was not a good weekend for me

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer