cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch whining

ssemalone
Explorer
Explorer
On this trip the hitch started to whine, I tow a 23 foot TT with a chevy Tahoe and the hitch started whining and moaning on this trip especially when turning, but you can hear it on some bumpy areas in parks???? not sure what is going on I have a E2 round bar hitch with built in sway control, love the hitch works great easy to load and unload bars.. Just wondering about the whining and squealing
20 REPLIES 20

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
We borrowed a friend's big combo last year and the hitch was an Equal-I-zer. He told us to follow the instructions in the owner's manual, which reads in part:
Equal-I-zer wrote:
Step 9
regular Maintenance:
The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and
well lubricated with Equal-i-zerยฎ high performance lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip.

That is true and is one of the great things, there is no lube required on the bars.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
We borrowed a friend's big combo last year and the hitch was an Equal-I-zer. He told us to follow the instructions in the owner's manual, which reads in part:
Equal-I-zer wrote:
Step 9
regular Maintenance:
The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and
well lubricated with Equal-i-zerยฎ high performance lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
Here is an off subject question as long as we are discussing WD hitches. What do you do to cover the end of the spring bar when you remove the bar to keep the grease from getting everywhere? I have been using a plastic baggie but I think there might be a better way.

On the Equlalizer the spring bars go into the sockets and are pinned in same, so there is no real movement aside from a little "play" or "slop" at that pinned connection. Consequently there is no need to lubricate the ends of the spring bars themselves (the top of the sockets are lubricated and these are part of the hitch head). That is one of the things I like about the Equalizer system. I just put my bars in the front storage compartment of the RV.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
Bigbird65 wrote:
Here is an off subject question as long as we are discussing WD hitches. What do you do to cover the end of the spring bar when you remove the bar to keep the grease from getting everywhere? I have been using a plastic baggie but I think there might be a better way.

I got the Blue Ox so there is no grease on the bars.

That is very helpful. Thanks
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:

I got the Blue Ox so there is no grease on the bars.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer

ssemalone
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses,
thanks I think you have the idea, we are not lubing the friction points for the sway control, just the bars where they slide into the hitch on the TV. Sometimes I just need it splained to me like I'm 3 yrs old.

Thanks everyone for your input

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
I completely understand the difference between a weight distribution system and a sway bar. The only whining noise that I could think of would come from the sway bar. I keep the spring bars well lubricated where they plug into the hitch. No noise from these bars.

The spring bars go into sockets in the hitch head. These sockets swivel as the truck turns left to right. The lubrication applied is to the galling surfaces at the top of these sockets. I forgot to take a picture before nightfall.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
"Bigbird65 wrote:

I have a Husky Friction sway control (P/N 34715/37498)which seems to work well when adjusted properly but does pop and groan when turning at slow speed. I would like to be able to get rid of this noise by lubricating and still get the anti sway action. However, the instructions say: Important: Do not lubricate. Comments?"

Bigbird. pull the bar out of the unit and clean up the slide with a wire brush. You do need to lube the two ball connections. Doing both of these suggestions will help quiet a friction sway control like yours.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I completely understand the difference between a weight distribution system and a sway bar. The only whining noise that I could think of would come from the sway bar. I keep the spring bars well lubricated where they plug into the hitch. No noise from these bars.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
I have a Husky Friction sway control (P/N 34715/37498)which seems to work well when adjusted properly but does pop and groan when turning at slow speed. I would like to be able to get rid of this noise by lubricating and still get the anti sway action. However, the instructions say: Important: Do not lubricate. Comments?

A friction sway controller is an entirely different thing from the W/D system under discussion here. FSC is in effect a brake, and just as with any other the braking surface must never be lubricated.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
My Equal-I-zer makes a heck of a racket groaning and popping at slow speeds. Perfectly normal.

Mine used to do that until I greased it. After that ... quiet. The groaning and creaking comes back so best to carry grease around.

Let me understand this correctly, you are lubricating the slide on the equalizer that goes between the two friction pads? I have a Husky Friction sway control (P/N 34715/37498)which seems to work well when adjusted properly but does pop and groan when turning at slow speed. I would like to be able to get rid of this noise by lubricating and still get the anti sway action. However, the instructions say: Important: Do not lubricate. Comments?

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I have an equilizer 4 pt and have the Bracket Jackets on mine and no noise . Might have the same for the yours.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I have an equilizer 4 pt and have the Bracket Jackets on mine and no noise . Might have the same for the yours.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper