cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make my TT lights flash unhooked from my truck?

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
I am attending a trade show for my employer and we will have our 24' enclosed trailer converted to a TT there on display. My VP wants me to find a way to make the trailer lights flash, exactly like it would look if you cut the hazard lights on. Only thing is, the truck we are pulling it there with wont fit in our display booth. So I am trying to come up with a wiring technique or method using a battery that would allow the trailer lights to flash on and off (to attract the attention of the patrons walking by) using the existing plug/wiring powered by a battery. I was thinking of using a jumper maybe, using diodes or even finding some way to incorporate a flasher kit like the one in the link below.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

http://www.lightexports.com/ef33k-electronic-flasher-kit-turn-signal-and-hazard-25amp-12v/
51 REPLIES 51

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You need a battery on the trailer to haul it anywhere. How will your emergency breakaway system work without a battery? Connect the battery to the typical trailer connectors. The trailer's umbilical should have a post that is connected to the battery (this is for charging with the vehicle while driving). Connect a heavy duty flasher in the umbilical slots for that 12V power and the marker/tail lights.

Not all trailers have break-away brakes. In Ontario we are not required to have them so my 30 foot TT did not have the module when sold new. My 6x12 utility trailer is rated for under 3000 lbs so I don't even have brakes on that axle - new from factory.

Explorer II
Explorer II
DavidSanders wrote:
I got it made last night, thanks everyone for the help.
Did you do it as I described in my PM?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
I got it made last night, thanks everyone for the help.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I sent her your # but she works nights now and may not have time.
We'll see.

Read your PM's.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
14 gauge would work, 12 gauge would be overkill, but for a price difference of maybe a buck I would probably go with the 12 gauge.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

westend
Explorer
Explorer
DavidSanders wrote:
I got the flasher, now I need the wiring. What kind of wiring should I purchase for this project? I want to make sure it is the right gauge.
Use 10 awg or 12 awg. It will be overkill for the current involved but will deliver the full voltage from the battery to the lights.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
12 gauge wire should be more than sufficient.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
I got the flasher, now I need the wiring. What kind of wiring should I purchase for this project? I want to make sure it is the right gauge.

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
DavidSanders wrote:
SoundGuy, who do you know in China Spring that can help me?

I had to Google "China Spring" to find out it's a small community northwest of Waco, Texas which is ~ 1500 miles from where I am, so no, I don't know anyone in China Spring nor Texas for that matter. Sorry.

Disregard, the guy that offered assistance in China Spring quoted your post.

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
... now Pin 4 on the trailer's Bargman connector will have + 12.6 vdc, Pin 4 will be negative...
:h Let's not confuse the boy anymore than he already is.

Pin 1 is negative is it not?

DavidSanders
Are you close to China Springs? I know someone there that can help you.

Hey, who do you know close to China Spring? Mind if i get their contact information?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DavidSanders wrote:

I had to Google "China Spring" to find out it's a small community northwest of Waco, Texas which is ~ 1500 miles from where I am, so no, I don't know anyone in China Spring nor Texas for that matter. Sorry.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
A 7-pin Bargman, heavy duty flasher, 5 amp fuse, single pole / double throw toggle switch, and a box to put it in is all you need ...

Trailer Lights Dongle (3 pics)

In the situation described by the OP a G24 deep cycle battery would provide sufficient power to flash the lights on a typical travel trailer for days. I use my trailer lights dongle every time I back our trailer from the street and on to our driveway, and should I ever be forced to leave the trailer on the side of the road I have the ability to flash ALL the trailer lights for maximum visibility for as long as may be necessary.

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone at a U-haul that does hitch installs or any place that does hitch installs could probably make this for you. U-haul even has the heavy duty flashers for sale, I think.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

DavidSanders
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
... now Pin 4 on the trailer's Bargman connector will have + 12.6 vdc, Pin 4 will be negative...
:h Let's not confuse the boy anymore than he already is.

Pin 1 is negative is it not?

DavidSanders
Are you close to China Springs? I know someone there that can help you.

Yes, Im 10 minutes from there. I appreciate the help. My cell number is 254-313-3990