cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How important to keep things level?

diver110
Explorer
Explorer
I know you have to keep things very flat to load and unload the camper, but let's say you are out camping in the boonies, with the camper on the truck. It is often not easy to find a fully flat spot. How big of a problem is it if the truck and thus the camper is not fully level?
31 REPLIES 31

niftypkg
Explorer
Explorer
Leveling the frig depends on how old you and the frig are If both are old forget about it. If the frig is older that you keep a level head. Older refrigerators like my 73' Airstream needed to be on the money within 1/2 a bubble. Most campers I saw in the park at S.Padre Island,Tx leveled theirs on the money new or old. Everything from 40'Class A's to 5th wheels leveled up. Dometic claims (from the manual) ones with the square flue are more critical than the ones with the round flue. It is more important to level the TC in the direction of the longest refrigeration tubing. That would mean for TC's level front to back. The tubing in the other direction is only 2-3 inches apart and out of level in that direction would only cause little variation.(With the bubble in the frig)in both directions I try to level within 1/2 bubble. I match the bubble in the frig with the one outside on the skin. The campers at SPI stay there 2-3 months so they tend to pay more attention to leveling. Refers are expensive. That said; go have fun.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....we don't really give "level" much thought. As long as our heads are on the up-slope side of the camper E/W bed, we're set to go. Our fridge has NEVER had a problem operating in off-level. However, we won't deliberately park on a 20deg+ slope, but anything less than ~~ that, who cares (unless you're playing marbles!) :B

This is how we operate; we're not picky. YMMV.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

misskate
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running my fridge at 1/2 a bubble for the last 4 years and haven't noticed any issues with the fridge. I still bring along some wedges for under the tires to get it close.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
devildog1971 wrote:
If your fridge is in your slide you need to put that bubble level in the fridge especially I found out the hard way if your slide ever creeps in a little the fridge will be way out of level because the last little bit the slide goes out it pushes the top more than bottom that is so water will run out cost me a fridge rebuild luckily I found a shop that replaces the back side. the factory put a brake on my slide and told me all slides especially ones with fridge in slide and the slide is electric (12 volt) they need a brake installed it also stops a slide from creeping out when closed I think the refers have ammonia in them but if bouncing will help with cholesterol I will try bouncing a lot

Agreed...that is one reason we chose a camper that did NOT have fridge in the slide...that and the stress fractures that can happen with electric and propane supply lines going in/out...

Always a good idea to level to your fridge as that is the most critical component; level to the fridge while on your jacks, stick the bubble levels on front/side then you are all set!

We don't fuss a lot about level...if within 2" on the bubbles, and head is up for sleeping...we are all set.
Replaced a fridge once on our Airstream...$1600...will try to avoid that again.
BTW; flipping it around did NOT help.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
If your fridge is in your slide you need to put that bubble level in the fridge especially I found out the hard way if your slide ever creeps in a little the fridge will be way out of level because the last little bit the slide goes out it pushes the top more than bottom that is so water will run out cost me a fridge rebuild luckily I found a shop that replaces the back side. the factory put a brake on my slide and told me all slides especially ones with fridge in slide and the slide is electric (12 volt) they need a brake installed it also stops a slide from creeping out when closed I think the refers have ammonia in them but if bouncing will help with cholesterol I will try bouncing a lot
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
RichieC wrote:
Somewhere, probably on rv.net, I read that taking the refrigerator out and turning it upside down can restore it to working order.
Not sure that this would ever be done in a campsite, but is there any truth to it?

Yeah, but it's really hard to keep the stuff in the door shelves when it's upside down. ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
RichieC wrote:
-- snip -- I read that taking the refrigerator out and turning it upside down can restore it to working order.
--snip -- is there any truth to it?

It's a temporary band-aid fix and doesn't always work.

A friend did this once a year to keep an old fridge going a few more years. Definetly a bandaid.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
RichieC wrote:
-- snip -- I read that taking the refrigerator out and turning it upside down can restore it to working order.
--snip -- is there any truth to it?

It's a temporary band-aid fix and doesn't always work.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somewhere, probably on rv.net, I read that taking the refrigerator out and turning it upside down can restore it to working order.
Not sure that this would ever be done in a campsite, but is there any truth to it?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Again:

"It makes no difference while the camper is in storage."

When you are ready to use the camper in the spring, put a level on the "cold plate" in the freezer and make sure the rig is level before turning on the refrigerator.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RichieC wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Fridge damage from operating 'off level' is accumulative...kinda like clogging arteries. You are not aware of the damage until it's too late.

"Time duration" has to be part of the equation.
5-minutes off level won't damage it. What about 5-hours? Or 24-hours?
Does the travel vibration tend to redistribute the cholesterol?

Problem is the absorption fridges work off gravity to make the ammonia properly flow. Off level disrupts the proper flow and crystals can form which attach to the inside of the tubes. The crystals continue to accumulate until flow is restricted/blocked.
Anytime the fridge is operating the ammonia rises up due to burner heat and turns into a vapor then condenses into liquid ammonia and flows downward cooling the freezer than food sections.
Those crystals can begin forming shortly after the cooling cycle begins.....depending on how off level fridge is being operated.

The damage is accumulative and once the crystals form no vibration will cause them to dissolve. They are permanent.

Operating the fridge while traveling is not a concern because the fridge is in motion and the flow is not interrupted.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
portscanner wrote:
If DW doesnt complain, you got it right

Are you speaking in general or specifically about the camper being level? This might put me in a no win situation.

Just the camper being level. You have to work on the rest.

On the other hand, you could adapt my simple checklist for unhitching fifth wheel to be used with a TC:

1. Back the rig into the site.
2. Crack open a beer and celebrate a safe arrival to your destination
3. Level side to side.
4. Enjoy another beer to celebrate successful side-to-side leveling.
5. Drop front legs to 5 inches above ground, extend legs to allow 1/8" gap between pin and hitch.
6. Have another beer while the legs are being lowered.
7. Pull forward and unhitch the vehicle. CAUTION: Do not leave site with Tow Vehicle as this may lead to DUI arrest.
8. Have another beer. This will make you a little more relaxed when you realize that you incorrectly read the bubble level during Step 3.

Top 3 Benefits of incorrect Step 3:
1. The refrigerator door automatically closes behind you.
2. The shower door will also close automatically. CAUTION: Enter the shower face first for safety reasons
3. When your wife starts complaining about the tomatoes rolling off the cutting board, you can exit the coach. The door will slam behind you and you can simply blame the Step 3 error!
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a smart phone or pad there are free level apps that will show actual degrees off of level.

Norm
F1BNorm

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner wrote:
If DW doesnt complain, you got it right

Are you speaking in general or specifically about the camper being level? This might put me in a no win situation.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk