cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to store truck tailgate when off truck

Dtorlina
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody made / seen a good way to store your truck tailgate when it’s off the truck? Thinking of making some form of a “dolly” with 2 cradles..... one for the tailgate to be stored vertically, second cradle for our fold-up hardshell bed cover. Tired of them laying around the garage when off the truck because of the camper. Any thoughts are appreciated
16 REPLIES 16

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
I built basically the same as gvgeode , mine is vertical, and lined with carpet. The frame work surrounds the tail gate and protects it. The tail gate is in excellent condition, just trying to keep it that way. I see gvgeode has his turn buckles stored with his tailgate, my turnbuckles, TL tie down pieces and all the clips are stored near the tailgate hanging on the wall, everything in its place.

Since those photos were taken a few years back I have followed northshore's path and hung my turnbuckles and tie downs and the rest on the wall next to the tailgate. I wonder if it was a post by northshore awhile back that inspired me to do that? What a great forum to share ideas, I've learned so much from this. Thanks to you all.
2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geewizard wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
I put down an old piece of carpeting and propped the tailgate against the wall of my garage. Currently I store the tailgate against an interior wall but I have also stored it outside propped against the exterior wall. The tailgate survives just fine when outside since that was the intended use.

X2. Pretty straightforward.

X3. Yep. My carpet is against the wall and covers the floor where the tailgate sets. I also added a strap on the wall to hold the tailgate up.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I cover mine with a moving blanket and lean it against the wall inside my garage.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have open stud walls in my garage space, which are wider than 16" apart (They're partitions, not structural walls), so I just drove a couple eyelets into the inside edges of the frame and run a short bungee cord across in front of the tailgate.

Keeps it tucked out of the way. 🙂
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stands on its end on a 1"X 4", to save the paint, in the garage next to the truck. I installed two eye bolts at the top with a cord across the top . Keeps my rowdy great grand sons from knocking it over on one of them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I built basically the same as gvgeode , mine is vertical, and lined with carpet. The frame work surrounds the tail gate and protects it. The tail gate is in excellent condition, just trying to keep it that way. I see gvgeode has his turn buckles stored with his tailgate, my turnbuckles, TL tie down pieces and all the clips are stored near the tailgate hanging on the wall, everything in its place.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
Dtorlina wrote:
Has anybody made / seen a good way to store your truck tailgate when it’s off the truck? Thinking of making some form of a “dolly” with 2 cradles..... one for the tailgate to be stored vertically, second cradle for our fold-up hardshell bed cover. Tired of them laying around the garage when off the truck because of the camper. Any thoughts are appreciated

That is what I did. I made a dolly, with a 24" x 30" platform to which I screwed some 2x6" cross ways, and then made triangles of plywood to from an upright 24" all from scrap. The tailgate and fold up cover are stored at and angle. I then protect the tailgate with a blanket and pice of foam board. When installing/removing the tailgate (by myself), I place the cart 90 degrees to the tailgate and simply lift/lower from/to the cartWorks. Worked like a charm. PM me and I can send pictures.

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
I can't take credit for the idea as I found it on here but can't locate the original post. I slapped this together with misc 1x4 and 2x4 lumber lying around. It's at a comfortable height so I don't have to bend down after removing the tailgate from the truck. The bottom of the rack where the tailgate sits is covered in carpet and the arm is held in place at the top with a dowel. It saves floor space and lets me park the truck in the garage with the tailgate off.

2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine up against the boat with an egg crate(4X8) barrier..
My garage is full..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20" 2x4 on the floor with an old towel on top just inside the garage door. Easy to take the tailgate off and stand it up on one end. With the pretty side away from the wall, I only have to have the bottom out about 2" to keep it very steady. You could drape a beach towel over the pretty side if you are worried about dirt or light scratches.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want it to be movable or make it so you're not carrying it from driveway to garage, maybe a cheap dolly from H.F. or the like. Wrap in a moving blanket or carpet glued to the dolly. Heavy bungee or small ratchet strap to secure it to the dolly. Might be enough room on the tongue of the dolly for both TG and folding bed cover, with a pad in between.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I put down an old piece of carpeting and propped the tailgate against the wall of my garage. Currently I store the tailgate against an interior wall but I have also stored it outside propped against the exterior wall. The tailgate survives just fine when outside since that was the intended use.

X2. Pretty straightforward.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I prefer to put a rubber mat down. It’s a good idea to make sure it is clean before you take it off in case it rubs against your body. Also, if it is an assisted tailgate, you might need help to put it on/off since they are heavier. I tried a set of wheels, but the base just wasn’t heavy enough to keep the tailgate upright.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Seminoe_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just put the tailgate against a garage wall too. No big deal. As soon as I’m home again, off comes the camper and on goes the tailgate.
“It’s all in the reflexes.”
2012 Lance 850
2023 Chevy 3500 HD