cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacking For Tire Change

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
Seems there is a lot of controversy over where to place a jack on a 2-axle travel trailer to change a single tire or service wheel bearings. Experts say under the U-bolt plate is not OK because of the danger of bending the axle. Question is how can the axle get bent when you are lifting the suspension system at the U-bolt location which is built to handle it. Same as driving the single wheel up on a 2 inch board. Some experts say to place the jack under the frame behind the wheel which appears to me to invite damage to the frame more so than the axle method. Also, this way the trailer has to be lifted quite high for the springs to extend and lift the tire off the ground. Under the U-bolt only requires a few inches to get the tire up.

Please enlighten me!
61 REPLIES 61

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
at home Air/hydraulic 20 ton bottle jack. On the road, 20 ton bottle jack. A few blocks of wood.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
OP how did you do? Jacking up a Class C front or rear is interesting as well. Bottle jack 8 tons, 6 tons jack stands, sockets, breaker bar, impact wrench, wood, and lots of patience.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
B-n-B wrote:

This exact jack would not get under a flat tire on my trailer, at least not under the spring perch. I carry a small floor jack with a 1x6 if needed.

Do you also carry the important part needed to safely use that jack? By that I mean a floor.
With no load on it, run the jack up. Notice the lift pad goes up in a arc? Normal lifting, the pad stays in contact with lifting point be cause the jack rolls under the load. If the wheels are setting on soft or rough surface the pad must slide on you lift point. At least you're not under when it drops.

if your jacking the axel just enough to take the tire off the ground its no issue. I just did all my wheel berrings yesterday and jacked under the axel on gravel just enough that the tire would rotate, but I could see what you are talking about if you have to change a flat.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Jack up the trailer just to change one flat tire or all of them ??? This otta' be could.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Nomad wrote:
Interesting discussion! Everyone stay tuned because on October 1st I'm going to start a brand new thread titled: Just Had a Flat ... What's the Best Way to Jack Up My Trailer? :):):)

:B Don't forget the right sized socket.

Texas_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting discussion! Everyone stay tuned because on October 1st I'm going to start a brand new thread titled: Just Had a Flat ... What's the Best Way to Jack Up My Trailer? :):):)

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
bump
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:
After reading through 7 pages could someone tell me the size and type of jack I need to lift a pallet of Tylenol?

Experience proves what works. The lack of that is very clear here.

Like Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth"

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
After reading through 7 pages could someone tell me the size and type of jack I need to lift a pallet of Tylenol?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back aways Grit Dog said a man should be able to pick out a good lookin girl at 100 yards . At 78 years old I can see good enuff to pick em out but ain't noway that I could pick em up unless they weigh less than 30 lbs !

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy said..."I am NO SUPERIOR mechanic but......"

You obviously understand the working of a floor jack, so SUPERIOR mechanic to GDE, as an example.

Jerry

Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

I don't know where you guys get the magic floor jacks that don't move. Just for snots and grins I just put a tape on 1 of mine (standard 7000 lb capacity that I load if I know I'm going to need a jack, or grab if I need to lift a car in the drive) I put the wheels against the wall and measured to center of pad. 5 inches. Jacked to top, 13 inches.

I'm with Scooby here. GDE, I am genuinely interested in seeing a pic of your rolling floor jack that doesn't just have a single pivot on the arm, which by default as the angle changes, the jacking point gets closer to the rear part of the jack.
Hard to believe 5 pages about changing a flat tire, but I guess that happens when people have magic floor jacks!

I am NO SUPERIOR mechanic but......

I always thought that the wheels on the floor jack were there so the jack COULD MOVE when lifting to keep the weight closer to the center point of the jack????????? If they did NOT move, ALL of the weight being lifted would be at the far end of the jack...

Think Forklifts.... A 15,000# lift is rated to lift 15,000#.. AT THE CENTER POINT OF THE FORKS.... IF you try to lift 15,000 on the tips of the forks, you will be greatly disappointed
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
read, and post repeated info for the 7th time
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Now my floor jack tops at 18" lift and at that top the plate moves back about 2".. At that height would be stupid to consider to be usable.

But one could say the exact same for using any jack once you get past a couple of inches worth of lift, they all get unstable. Bottle jacks, scissor jacks since they have very small base foot prints get scary unstable the higher amount of lift you go.

If one ever needed full lift height offered by a floor jack, one might wish to rethink the approach which reduces the amount of lift required..

Lol, jack up something that isn't a pavement pounder and you'll use that travel. Heck, I have to put a wood block on top of my (not junky, whatever you called them) floor jacks fairly often.

I know you're trying real hard here to be right, but maybe time to pump the brakes a bit.

That, and I'm not familiar with a scissor arm floor jack.

None of this makes any sense.