cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping the wasps and bees out?

Brett_K
Explorer
Explorer
Looking around the camper, i see alot of places for nests. How do you keep them out of places like the furnace and fridge vents and bumper tubes? Do those screens do the trick?
12 REPLIES 12

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
For our furnace and water heater I bought sheet magnets on ebay that allow me to easily cover when not in use and uncover when needed. For the fridge, I just replaced the door with a solid piece of wood. Obviously this is for storage, but I figured when they are running it is less likely that bugs will try to enter. Just my $.02
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Screens work. Before we installed them my Wife got stung half dozen times at once by those nasty Red Wasp. Must have been 25 swarm out.
(She didn't run as fast as I did)

Another location to watch for nest is under Propane covers.
I may try a flea collar under the Propane cover.

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
We bought some heavy duty window screen material and used a hot glue gun to install screens on the inside of all vents and bumpers. For the furnace exhaust we bought the premade screen from a local camper store.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Screens are a great investment and yes, they can be a pain to put on. Worth every dime.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Get a flea collar for a pet and cut it in pieces. Put the pieces in all those little places, and remember you will need to renew them once in awhile.

I suppose this would work well for under the AC shroud too.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Get a flea collar for a pet and cut it in pieces. Put the pieces in all those little places, and remember you will need to renew them once in awhile.

X2. I use a Hot Shot 'No Pest Strip' instead of a flea collar.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those screens can be a little devil to install - the little springs in them are a pain! Just FYI. ๐Ÿ™‚ It wouldn't hurt to carry a spare, especially for the furnace exhaust ports, either; we've torn ours off getting too close to a juniper tree. Said tree happened to be in our driveway and we had enough room to just barely squeeze by it; now the tree is history. ๐Ÿ™‚ But similar situations with shrubbery, etc. can be encountered in CGs.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Brett K wrote:
Looking around the camper, i see alot of places for nests. How do you keep them out of places like the furnace and fridge vents and bumper tubes? Do those screens do the trick?

They work great for any critter bigger than the mesh hole size. Set it and forget it.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the screens. We almost caught our first TT on fire due to a wasp nest in the furnace exhaust. When we bought our next TT, the dealer said if we had screens on all of the external appliances (fridge, furnace, water heater), it would be a lot easier to have warranty work done if needed. Warranty will not cover damage if caused by a wasp nest. We will have the screens on our next TT as well.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
sbowman871 wrote:
The screens work. Money well spent.

X2

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
The screens work. Money well spent.