cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone hornet 27h with f150

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Lookimg at a 99 27h hornet. Gvwr is 7500 lbs. Oal is 28.1 ft. Frontsl Sqr footage 197.6

I have a 2016 f150 5.0 super crew 4x4. 1980 payload. 500 lbs of family. Should be pleanty but im leary. Is this too much trailer? Basic reese wd witch and friction sway bar.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
14 REPLIES 14

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
no big deal, its actually still for sale, I found an issue im not willing to deal with. going to let this one go. Not searching very hard rate now, I had that one forwarded to me by a friend and its layout and price were good so I was doing my homework. no big deal here. the prowler should have another season in her.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry it didn't work out. This time of year affordable trailers sell fast if they are in decent shape. Seen one on craigslist that I called on for a another individual that sold in less then 45 minutes.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
change of plans, no dice. thanks for the input guys but this one is gone.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't see a problem with this trailer, and your truck. The frontal area will be similar to your current trailer, and you'll be within ALL spec ratings. The rear end gearing is the weak link, but with the multi-speed transmission, I'd just lock out whatever top gear needed to keep the 5.0 in the happy/non-lugging power band.

You are knowledgeable in tow ratings, have covered all the bases, allowing a margin, figuring weights. I say go for it, if that is the trailer your family wants.

Jerry

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
I gave the small number because I was unsure with my truck. I have the 5.0 V8. its actually 8900 via the book and its because of the 331 rear end. We tow in Ontario mostly flat. usually trips are limited to under 300km but don't want to limit that. as the kids age that will grow to 1000 or so.

Sorry looked over the 5.0 V8 in your original post. I think you would be fine. It may be slow going from a complete stop but once up to speed it should be ok since mostly flat towing. If you dislike the performance you could always upgrade to 3.73 gears but the cost of the would prob be pretty steep.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I gave the small number because I was unsure with my truck. I have the 5.0 V8. its actually 8900 via the book and its because of the 331 rear end. We tow in Ontario mostly flat. usually trips are limited to under 300km but don't want to limit that. as the kids age that will grow to 1000 or so.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
I see no issue with payload here at all the only Issue I see is your 8500lb towing capacity. That 8500lb capacity decreases when anyone or anything is put into the truck. Eat up 1800lbs of your payload and your towing capacity is decreased to 6700lbs. This is the only hold back I see. If you had my F150 that is rated to tow 13000lbs I'd say go for it all day everyday but with that low tow capacity I'm not so sure how it will run. I'm guessing it is the engine your truck has that keeps that capacity lower. What engine do you have? How far and often do you plan to tow? If it was just weekend trips here and there within a 100 miles or so I'd say go for it. If towing a lot long distances the engine may not be up for that load. Anyone saying you need a bigger truck than a half ton for that trailer is full of it. Your payload capacity exceeds half of the 3/4 ton diesels payload capacities out there today. Most 3/4 ton diesels I have seen are in the 1700 to 1800 lb range so don't always go by bigger is always better. It needs to be the correct outfitted truck whether half ton 3/4, or 1 ton for what you want to pull.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
unloaded vehicle weight (from brochure) is 5005 lbs. I also know loaded to camp my current rig is just shy of 900 lbs heavier and we tend to bring a fair bit of fire wood (100 lbs or so of that 900) was also a bit generous with the family weight since the kids are growing. We also don't travel with anything in the tanks. I have new truck tires in my future regardless of camper so that's solid advise.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be within specs, since you are using GVWR on the trailer. You have control with how much you load as well. Since you have the truck see if you can take a test tow. What's the unloaded weight? I know personally I have never even been close to my maximum weight load in the trailer. One thing I would do is git rid of the tires on the truck for some higher load capacity. The stock tires can get squirmy.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
You are close, but depending on where you travel you might be wishing for a 3/4 ton truck. I had a Tundra rated at 10,400 with a cargo of only 1,385. My 28RL didnโ€™t get me on the GVWR, but I was always over on my cargo. Bottom line, if you drive in windy or mountainous areas, a 1/2 isnโ€™t much fun.

Now running with a 2018 RAM 3/4 ton Cummins Diesel. Much better.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jebby14 wrote:
Ya i know the math works. Just nore length than i was originally thinking.

-500 family
-100 hitch
-TW (7500ร—.13= 975)

So even at max load have some wiggle room)

Jist looking to put my mind ad ease

NOPE.

Figure that the TW CAN be as much as 15% or a bit higher depending on just where your storage might be when fully loaded.

That means TW could be as high as 1125 lbs so now you are down to 200 lbs of "wiggle room".. Making this a marginal combination at best.

Are there folks towing this close or closer, sure, but wait until they have a meeting with MR Murphy.. Yeah, things CAN go wrong in a hurry when you are in a marginal setup..

I HAVE had more than one meeting with MR Murphy, and each time I WON.

Why, because I intentionally buy vehicles which have a CONSIDERABLY HIGHER CAPACITY..

Without the extra capacity, I would not have made it through the first time I had a deer dart in front of me at 70 MPH let alone the SECOND time it happened over the years..

We ALL would love to have sunshiny days and rainbow unicorns while towing all of the time, but in reality, you WILL eventually be called out by MR Murphy and the outcome may not be pretty if you made poor combination choices.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Oopsie forgot 8500 towing.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Ya i know the math works. Just nore length than i was originally thinking.

-500 family
-100 hitch
-TW (7500ร—.13= 975)

So even at max load have some wiggle room)

Jist looking to put my mind ad ease

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer
What's the towing capacity? Also add at least 800 pounds to your payload to account for the tongue weight.