cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for SUV recommendation

OkanaganAmanda
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have a Hyundai Santa Fe and used it to tow a light tent trailer (no trailer brakes), no problem. With Covid closing bathhouses, we have been looking to upgrade, and just bought a Jayco Jay Flight SLX7 184BS model (dry weight of about 3400lbs).

We need to trade in the SUV to something that can safely tow this (Santa Fe is limited to 1600lbs). Still prefer an SUV and this will be my primary vehicle for work, school drop offs etc, (camping a few times each summer). Gas mileage is important as we are in BC where gas prices are ridiculously high (I get about 8L/100km with the Santa Fe with is pretty good).

Which SUVs would anyone recommend that would tow this trailer well but still be a good everyday vehicle? We have two kids (in booster seats) and a dog. Appreciate any insight you might have!
35 REPLIES 35

OkanaganAmanda
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
What price point?
not sure yet but definitely on the lower end. Definitely not looking for a luxury vehicle. I will likely be getting something a few years old.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:
Any of the mid-sized pickups are rated to tow in the 5K range.

Get their crew-cab version, and it is a true SUV, as they are unibody on frame with more seatbelts.

The ones the OP has mentioned are unibody CUV's (main difference between CUV and SUV)

Was going to be my suggestion and a few of them are rated at 7000lbs towing or a bit more.
If you stepped up to the baby diesel models, they'd get phenomenal mileage as well. But we can recommend stuff all day, although you didn't provide a price point. A $130k CDN Porsche Cayenne is rated to tow over 7klbs as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
OkanaganAmanda wrote:
Right-finding an SUV with a tow capacity of 5000lbs seems like there are a lot of options. 6000lbs plus, they are either massive vehicles or else very top of-the-line. I have been looking around at 5000lb tow capacities and that is why I was curious about SUV suggestions. If 5000lb is realistic for this trailer, loaded with gear, that gives far more options than 6000lbs+.

The GVWR for the trailer is 4300lbs. So a 5000 TC would work as long as it's got the payload you need.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the mid-sized pickups are rated to tow in the 5K range.

Get their crew-cab version, and it is a true SUV, as they are unibody on frame with more seatbelts.

The ones the OP has mentioned are unibody CUV's (main difference between CUV and SUV)
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

OkanaganAmanda
Explorer
Explorer
Right-finding an SUV with a tow capacity of 5000lbs seems like there are a lot of options. 6000lbs plus, they are either massive vehicles or else very top of-the-line. I have been looking around at 5000lb tow capacities and that is why I was curious about SUV suggestions. If 5000lb is realistic for this trailer, loaded with gear, that gives far more options than 6000lbs+.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
“Jay Flight SLX7 184BS model (dry weight of about 3400lbs).“

Dry weight 3400 plus 1600 pounds of water, batteries, propane, bikes, stuff...5000 pounds

Exactly! Dry weight is a myth.

To the OP, trailers weigh more than the dry weight when the leave the factory. Look at the GVWR of the trailer. Loaded to camp you will be closer to that number.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
A Toyota 4Runner might work.

Most likely not. My "mistake" SUV was a Toyota 4Runner. My 6-cylinder 2013? was not able to use a weight-distribution hitch. Older 8-cylinder models could, however.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Toyota 4Runner might work.

OkanaganAmanda
Explorer
Explorer
You all know you’re stuff. Thank you! Going to do some reasearch this weekend. Might end up just getting a smaller sized pickup (used to have a Denali Sierra and it was too big for me to comfortably drive but a smaller one might be better for everyday use).

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
packpe89 wrote:
I would prefer a body on frame. Durango or Tahoe would fit the bill. Tahoe can be had with the new 3.0 diesel so mileage would be good.

A modern Durango is a stretched Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both are unibodies. And towing with the V-6 should be avoided but the Hemi v-8 should be ok.

OP, you may want to check out the newer Ford Explorer or Lincoln Aviator if you don't want full size. The turbo 4 or turbo 6 is better than any naturally aspirated 6 cylinder currently available and are better than some V-8s especially in the mountains.
Jeep and Explorer

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
There are a lot of small SUVs rated for about 5,000 pounds towing. I would stay away from most of them. They are unibody which means no actual frame. Some may not allow the use of a weight distributing hitch which you will need. They are not really meant for regular towing, their rating is largely just a marketing tool.
I would look at a Tahoe or Suburban from GM or an Expedition from Ford. A Durango might be good too but I've never like Chrysler automatic transmissions.

What KD4UPL said. Particularly about the weight-distribution hitch. I got myself into a situation a few years back where I had the wrong SUV for the towing I was doing, and I had to trade it in and get a pickup. Been happy with it ever since, but it was a big surprise.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Explorer Hybrid. It can easily pull that, but still get reasonable fuel economy when you aren’t hitched up. It’s RWD architecture shares most power train components with the F150.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
All the larger SUVs can handle in the 5000# range GVWR trailers.
Even an Explorer could handle that.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of small SUVs rated for about 5,000 pounds towing. I would stay away from most of them. They are unibody which means no actual frame. Some may not allow the use of a weight distributing hitch which you will need. They are not really meant for regular towing, their rating is largely just a marketing tool.
I would look at a Tahoe or Suburban from GM or an Expedition from Ford. A Durango might be good too but I've never like Chrysler automatic transmissions.

OkanaganAmanda
Explorer
Explorer
packpe89 wrote:
I would prefer a body on frame. Durango or Tahoe would fit the bill. Tahoe can be had with the new 3.0 diesel so mileage would be good.

Thanks for those suggestions. I have some research to do about body on frame. It is certainly a bit of a job to sort out since all the promo for these small trailers shows small SUV’s towing them....guess they have no gear, family or passengers to bring along.