cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on Truck Reliability

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded travel trailer last year and the new trailer weighs approximately 8000lbs. I've been towing with a 2017 3.5l ecoboost. The power has been great....no issues there but I have felt uncomfortable on the highway. The trailer throws the truck around.

3/4 tonne is the answer but I don't have brand new 3/4 tonne kind of money right now.

I am looking at a 2017 Ram Laramie Cummins which I can get after trade for about 20k more. Any insight into this truck. It has 110,000 KM (70,000 miles). Is this truck and engine reliable? It is a well equipped Laramie.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.
41 REPLIES 41

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boomerweps wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.
Truck payload is always important in discussing towing.
Especially for 1/2 tons and diesel powered 3/4 ton trucks. Sadly, with the diesel eating up so much of the GVWR, many 1/2 ton trucks can meet or exceed a diesel powered 3/4 ton’s payload.

First, good old movie quote!

Second, your last sentence is why some "think" it's soooo important, but for the context of this thread it is of ZERO productive concern and the fact that you think a heavy diesel up front materially affects payload over the rear axle to any real degree is laughable.

But that's why towing and payload "capacity" are 2 of the most deadly beaten horses around here...
Well, that and the antagonistic attitude of some who, like pre-schoolers ask the same inane question over, and over, and over, and over and....you get the point.
If you actually are interested in the payload rating, you can look it up in under 2 minutes for virtually any newer truck out there.
No need to repeatedly ask every person who talks about their truck "But what is the payload?"
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I think I figured it out. Here she is

https://imgur.com/9Gbm2b3

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the trigger. I pick her up on Wednesday. I'd post a picture but I can't figure out how 🙂

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep! Axle and tire ratings plus license for what your loaded truck weighs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Very reliable truck but what is it’s payload capacity?

Who ______ing cares??? Not part of the equation nor relevant to the thread.....

Lighten up, Francis.
Especially for 1/2 tons and diesel powered 3/4 ton trucks. Sadly, with the diesel eating up so much of the GVWR, many 1/2 ton trucks can meet or exceed a diesel powered 3/4 ton’s payload.

Except you’re forgetting that 3/4 ton trucks have artificially low GVWRs for licensing purposes only. Nobody looks at payload on these trucks. Stay under axle and tire ratings and you’ll be fine.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Lighten up, Francis.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
A gas 3/4 ton will be cheaper then a diesel and you could even get one newer.. just my thoughts..I have an 09 gmc 2500hd gas job and pull 10k. It’s paid for and just about to hit 100k. If you want diesel it will cost you a lot more... ask me how.. been there done that..
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent point, Boomer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD and I have virtually the same truck you’re headed to look at. His analysis is spot on IMO.
Like most “men” I believe that part of your motivation is to have a bad @ss truck. Because your current rig does or can handle your trailer virtually flawlessly. That said, your $ your truck and you’ll likely be very impressed even enamored with the new one.
Don’t test drive it unless you’re ready to take the plunge!! Lol
Presume we will be seeing pics of the new whip later today??

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, that truck is one of the most reliable packages on the road. The only downside compared to the other 2 mfgs imo is the trans is behind the times for shift quality and programming/integration. That said it’s a solid bulletproof trans.
If it’s in great condition and verifiably well maintained then don’t hesitate if that’s the truck you want. And with those miles, it hasn’t needed any maintenance aside from a few oil and fuel filter changes. However if it hasn’t had diffs, t case and trans service, it’s time. So figure in that cost into initial maintenance. Brakes should be still very good. If they’re not, truck was driven by an idiot, which is a turnoff.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MikeRP wrote:
They are great trucks, 500,000 miles truck at least. But gives us some more data. Take pics of the GVWR sticker, and the tire sticker (which includes the payload) and give us the data. No doubt it will handle your trailer but also give us the stickers on that, which are unloaded vehicle weight and the GVWR. Also model of trailer.

If you want to future proof yourself, get the same truck but a 3500.

Awesome getting a new truck! Always.

Why the fascination with info that is basically the same across the board. A Ram 2500 has a 10k gvw (if you believe that) and all the crew cab 4wd diesels weigh within about 500lbs of each other.
Aside from the fact that this is debated daily here and has zero relevance to the OPs query.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Late to the party.

Since the used truck market is hot right now, I think a decent used trade in plus $20K ought to get you a new sightly more basic 3/4 ton unit.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I’m leaving now to go drive it. Thanks for everyone’s input. I definitely do not need a 3500 for what I use it for and I have no plans to upgrade in the future.

The part I struggle with is paying $20k more for a truck that is same year and same mileage as existing truck. I do get that I am getting a much more capable truck. The Chevy/GMV around here are impossible to find and usually any extra $15k more than the dodge.