cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outfitter owners with cassette toilets?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to hear from Outfitter owners who have cassette toilets. I'm thinking of retrofitting a cassette toilet instead of the marine toilet in mine. The idea is that I can dump it in campground pit toilets rather than finding a dump station. Anyone do a retrofit? Or have comments on using a cassette toilet in an Outfitter?

And do any of you have pictures of the outside hatch for the cassette?

thanks.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
8 REPLIES 8

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
cewillis wrote:
I have one, and wouldn't consider any other option. The hatch is at the right rear, as in this picture.

Mine is just like Cal's except there is an outside hatch door below his cassette door. It's where the black tank would've been and they used that area for additional storage.
We retained the black water tank and use it as additional gray water capacity.
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

sstan
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
joerg68 wrote:
I have an Apex 8 LB with a cassette toilet and a retrofitted SOG fan. The SOG lets you use the cassette without any chemistry.

We used to have an older Lance camper with a black water tank, so I know the difference.

+ dump in any toilet, anywhere. To winterize, remove & clean cassette

- limited "capacity" - about 2 days for 2 adults. You could carry a spare cassette (although I don't know where in our rig). The cassette is somewhat heavy to carry around when full. And it should be rinsed regularly; not everyone likes to do that.

I would not want to go back to the black water tank solution.

There is a known issue with the cold water line that feeds the toilet. It blew on our installation, and on some other members' campers as well. Personally, I believe it was built up back pressure from the water heater. It has not happened since we depressurize the system while the water heater is heating. Obviously this is a primitive fix that you may not like. Someone here on the forum has installed a pressure regulator in the line; you might use the search to find the article.

Terry Rey I believe was the first to install the pressure regulator and I followed suit. Simple install that has worked well.

Interesting about the connection to the hot water heater and the cold water toilet line blowing out. We had our Outfitter built with a cassette toilet and an on-demand water heater in 2009. Maybe the water heater choice spared us the grief of a water line blowing out.

Like everyone else we think the cassette toilet is the only way to "go" 🙂

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:

Mine is just like Cal's except there is an outside hatch door below his cassette door. It's where the black tank would've been and they used that area for additional storage.

My older model Apex (2007) has the extra storage door on the back -- I think yours is better. Handy space, btw.
Cal

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
I have an Apex 8 LB with a cassette toilet and a retrofitted SOG fan. The SOG lets you use the cassette without any chemistry.

We used to have an older Lance camper with a black water tank, so I know the difference.

- limited "capacity" - about 2 days for 2 adults. You could carry a spare cassette (although I don't know where in our rig). The cassette is somewhat heavy to carry around when full. And it should be rinsed regularly; not everyone likes to do that.

There is a known issue with the cold water line that feeds the toilet. It blew on our installation, and on some other members' campers as well. Personally, I believe it was built up back pressure from the water heater. It has not happened since we depressurize the system while the water heater is heating. Obviously this is a primitive fix that you may not like. Someone here on the forum has installed a pressure regulator in the line; you might use the search to find the article.

Terry Rey I believe was the first to install the pressure regulator and I followed suit. Simple install that has worked well.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
I have one, and wouldn't consider any other option. The hatch is at the right rear, as in this picture.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My cassette potti install has an outside access to remove the tank tote but some installs have the access on the inside

On my setup I can pull the TOTE TANK from the outside like this... This may hard to do on your TC finding a good spot to mount the cassette potti on the inside aligned with an outside door.

You can mount the cassette potti access door on the inside using just the potti without the shower combo...

Photos from google search

In my case this would be very easy to pull out the pottie tote from the inside. I can reach it from the outside door... We also don't use the shower part of ours very much. Usually just wash up in front of the sink or go to the bath house if they have a shower there. I could gain alot of room by pulling my combo unit out and installing just the cassette pottie like shown above

There is absolutely NO MESS what so ever with the cassette potti tote tank. It seals up great and has wheels to drag along on the ground if you like.

I do the same thing you mentioned and tote the tank down to the bath room and pour down the toilet... My tote is a 6-gallon tank.

photos from google search

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Cal