cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polarity Checkers

brebar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I have a question about using a standard house polarity checker with a 30 amp adapter, to check polarity at the pedestal.

I am a new owner of a TT and I have been researching surge protectors. Some of the “surge protectors” look like fancy and expensive polarity checkers.

I know I could ask the dealer about this, but I thought that another newbie might benefit from this question.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
brebar wrote:
Ok, let me clarify my question.

I have a standard house current polarity checker. It indicates an open ground, open neutral, open hot, hot/ground reverse conditions. It has three indicator lights that will light up in a certain sequence, depending on the wiring condition of the duplex. It has a 120VAC 15amp three prong on it for use in checking wiring conditions.

I can buy a 15 amp (female) to 30 amp (male) adapter for around $5, and install it on my (house hold) polarity checker.

My question is, can I use this to check for proper 30 amp wiring, (open ground etc.) at the campground pedestal?

Thanks!

To answer your question: Yes, that will work perfectly. (there's no need to make it any more complicated.)

Not a bad idea really. A cheaper why of doing what you want it to do.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
brebar wrote:

I have a standard house current polarity checker. It indicates an open ground, open neutral, open hot, hot/ground reverse conditions. It has three indicator lights that will light up in a certain sequence, depending on the wiring condition of the duplex. It has a 120VAC 15amp three prong on it for use in checking wiring conditions.

I can buy a 15 amp (female) to 30 amp (male) adapter for around $5, and install it on my (house hold) polarity checker.

My question is, can I use this to check for proper 30 amp wiring, (open ground etc.) at the campground pedestal?

Thanks!

To answer your question: Yes, that will work perfectly. (there's no need to make it any more complicated.)

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hard wired surge protector that gives me a remote read out, but the first thing I do before plugging in my 30 or 50 amp cord in is to use the same tester that Roy B and others have noted. It's a cheap line of defense and so far I've not had a bad reading, but if I ever to, I'm changing sites or running off the batteries until it's fixed.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go for an EMS myself. Surge protectors have their place, but low voltage can kill your A/C compressor or microwave just as dead as high voltage. Plus, an EMS will keep your rig (and its electronics) from frying if the receptacle is 240 volts and not 120.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
brebar wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at surge protectors and the SP's for around $60 did not seem adequate and appeared to be nothing more than circuit testers.

spend $250 or so and get a decent multi function surge protector, not an elcheapo for $90.
bumpy

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
brebar wrote:

...15 amp (female) to 30 amp (male) adapter for around $5, and install it on my (house hold) polarity checker.

Thanks!

Sure, add a Kill-a-watt to the mix to check voltage and you're good.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

brebar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at surge protectors and the SP's for around $60 did not seem adequate and appeared to be nothing more than circuit testers.

I didn't anticipate all the extra money I would be spending on accessories when I bought the TT. I guess I was over thinking the problem and I will have to whip out the wallet (again) and get a $220 SP.

I kinda knew what your answers would be, but I just wouldn't admit it. LOL

P.S. One would think that, if surge protection is such a concern, it would be standard equipment on a new TT.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Go to myrv.us/electric and click on outlet testing on the left side. Then scroll down and click on either 30 amp tester or 50 amp tester. Makes it simple.
I made one of the 50 amp testers. And with a 50/30 adapter I can easily test 30 amp park connections or 50 amp park connections for voltage and proper wiring before I plug the RV in.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Get a dogbone adapter (click here) like this and use RoyB's polarity tester. This will work just to be sure where every you're plugged into is wired correct.

A surge protector will provide much more insurance, not just for high voltage or high voltage spikes, but also low voltage, which can reek havoc on your air conditioner! The surge protector (made for RV's) will kill the power before a spike, high, or low amps can cause any damage. The price of a replacement air-conditioner will cost a lot more than an RV surge protector, not to mention the down-time you won't be able to use your camper while, whatever got damaged, gets fixed.

I have one of these:

brebar
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The so called expensive SURGE PROTECTOR plays a very important role in the RV trailers. It is always ON and looks for bad incoming 120VAC line voltages. When it see's something bad it disconnects your RV trailer from the source to prevent failures.

Actually a small price to pay for protection like this...

You can use RV adapters to get your 30A and 50A service pedestal down to a 20AMP Receptacle and plug in one of these CIRCUIT TESTERs which will detect bad wiring and possible problem areas but does not give you 24HR protection. These are really just a good tool to have around to test the 12VAC Power SOURCE before you hook-up to it.

I think this is what you may be referring to...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure exactly what your question is..
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman