Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane gennie maintenance in cold winter

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoor Canadian winter storage.
Take both batteries out, but now I have to run the propane gennie for an hour each month. Do I have to put a battery back in, or use a battery booster pack,.....OR,.....can I just plug it in to 110 volt and bypass the batteries to get the gennie started ??? Putting a battery back in/out monthly would be a pain.
2013 Arctic Fox 811S.
I didn't run it at all last winter and spent HOURS & HOURS this spring/summer getting it started again.
25 REPLIES 25

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Do your local farmers run all the equipment a lap around the field once a month in Winter?
Just let it be.

"Coffee can over the exhaust pipe, disconnect the battery and walk away"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do your local farmers run all the equipment a lap around the field once a month in Winter?
Just let it be.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
Most of my hours & hours were spent on Google, and trying the possible fixes I found there. I have it going now (unknown why), but the manual clearly states run monthly, under half load, for 45 minutes. The booster pack will be much easier than re-installing the batteries. Thanks folks.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slymer - if a propane engine will not start even after sitting for weeks something is amiss.

Our propane fueled motor vehicles back in the day had vacuum actuated and electrically actuated fuel shut off valves to stop the flow of fuel if the engine stopped turning or ignition power was disconnected - not sure if generators have such safety devices?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
A booster pack should work to get it started.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in ohio I start my pp in nov and again in april never had a problem.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need to do anything to the propane generator during the winter or any other time it sits for long periods.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Fire and fuel
After the cold is past make sure you have a spark at the plug then light your propane stove to make sure your regulator is working and lastly with strong battery try to start the genny.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m not sure why it would take you hours and hours to get your generator back going or why you need to run your generator during the Winter an hour each month. What was wrong, or what did you do to fix it?

You should be able to prime the generator and as long the battery is good, you shouldnโ€™t have an issue getting it back running. One other hint to to ensure the propane lines are full by running other items like the stove.

Iโ€™ve had the case that the propane fuel had either water or too much additive in it. That caused my generator to sputter.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
Strictly propane. It was stock on the 2013 AF 811's. Cummins/Onan.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A propane gen should not gum up like a gas genny. Do you also run it on gas? If so run the gas out and drain the carb then run some seafoam in it. Put a small amount of light oil in the cylinder. And turn the engine over by slowly pulling crank.