cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing New Host Everest 11.6, Help Please

Bandit400
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! Just joined the forum after a few weeks of lurking;) I am seriously thinking about moving forward with purchasing a truck camper. I have narrowed down the model to the Host Everest based on my needs (noted below). Would greatly appreciate any thoughts or feedback on option selection and any truck upgrades necessary to support this camper.

Plans for the TC:
I like to use the camper to sleep myself, my wife and our two teenage daughters during typically 1 to 2 week long vacations and short overnight trips for my daughterโ€™s sports tournaments. TC seems to be the right solution as it seems finding spots to Boondock and storing the camper when not in use are going to be much easier.

Questions:
1. Any suggestions on the options I have selected below as my initial list?
2. Can I get the 11000 Btu Air Conditioner with the Off Grid Extreme Package and use a Honda EU2200 to run it instead of the noisy onan generator?
3. I plan on hauling the camper on a 2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW with 8ft bed. Truck has the 6.7L Cummins HO diesel. Available payload is around 5600lbs. I figure this camper with some light packing and fluids will be very close if not slightly over my available payload limit. What suggestions for any suspension upgrades to avoid rear sag or sway? Was thinking that I will likely need a rear sway bar and some sort of spring lift support to address some minor sagging when loaded.
4. I would greatly appreciate any tips on purchasing? Would kind of discount off MSRP is typical? Any dealer recommendations? Is sales tax typically required for out of state purchases?

Sorry for all the questions. Its a big purchase and want to do it right the first time ๐Ÿ™‚

2021 Host Everest Options:
Interior Decor Package:
Smokey River Package

Bed Options:
Standard Queen Bed (wardrobes vary depending on model)

General Options:
  • Add Synthetic Leather (standard is cloth)
    Footrest under rear couch Everest
    24" Main TV (Everest, Rainier LB)
    32" Bedroom TV (Mammoth, Yukon, Everest, Tahoe SB)
    Automatic Satellite Dish w/ GPS (for Satellite TV) (Winegard)
    AM/FM/CD/DVD w/ Alarm Clock, Bluetooth, 4 Speakers
    Exterior Speakers
    12V Charging Stations (one on each side of bed)
    Microwave/Convection Oven
    Thetford sealed (3) burner euro series cook top
    Accordion Privacy Bedroom Door
    Keyless Entry
    See Level Tank Monitors (Black, Grey, Fresh)
    Insulated Windows w/ solar cool glass (Insulated windows with solar grey glass std)
    Taller Generator Compartment (to store Portable Honda 2200)
    Norcold 9.7 Cubic ft. 12V Refrigerator/Freezer (for use with Off Grid Extreme & Extreme Plus)
    11,000 BTU Low Profile Air Conditioner (for use with on board generator) โ€“ Can I Use a Honda EU2200 if a Micro-Air soft start is installed in the air conditioner?
    Truma On Demand Hot Water Heater
    Dual 6V Batteries
    Swing Out Jack Brackets
    Power Passenger Side Awning (Yukon, Mammoth, Everest, Cascade, Rainer LB, Tahoe SB)
    Storage Bay Slide-Out Tray (Yukon, Mammoth, Everest, Cascade, Rainer LB, Tahoe SB)
    Plumb for BBQ
    Off Grid Extreme Package (plan to use a Honda EU2200 as a backup auxiliary power source)

31 REPLIES 31

Bandit400
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for all the feedback:C A couple of additional questions.

Do you need to deploy jacks when having the slides out while the TC is in the bed of the truck?

Any issue using the TC resting just on the jacks without it mounted on the truck? Say I want to dismount it for a couple days while camping. Does the basement need to be supported?

Also, thoughts on Truma tankless water heater vs DSI Propane/Electric Water Heater?

Bedlam
The ones complaining about using the slides may have Schwintek mechanisms. A couple of weeks ago we saw a new Lance and the slide takes two to three times longer verses the Powergear mechanism used in Host. It was one of the factors why we chose our brand over others. In one minute, I can easily have all three slides and the stairs extended (less if I am in hurry).

I do not know of any current Host layout that does not require opening the slide at least little to gain access. There are other manufacturers that have more friendly layouts allowing for use with the slide in, but all of them have a less amount of expanded room because they are single slide models.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a TC and a 5th. Both are stored at our home. The 5th is much easier to get ready. Takes maybe 5 minutes to hitch it and have on the driveway ready to pack. The TC requires me to get the plywood out of the barn and put it in the truck bed, then drag the heavy rubber mat out and put that on the plywood. Then get the frame extensions installed, then the Fastguns. Then raise the TC and very slowly and carefully back under it. It's a high pucker factor with maybe 3/4" clearance on each fender. The TC is much faster to load because it's only me using it. My wife won't climb the scissor steps. It takes longer to load the 5th because of the wife's clothes and more of everything else because of the greater storage.
Going down the road the TC has the advantage of not worrying about how I am going to get out of a parking lot or a dead end street. The issue of opening a slide to use the restroom has never been an issue. That takes maybe 30 seconds of pushing a button. I frequently pull off the road and open both truck doors and stand next to the truck to pee. We have never stopped and fixed a lunch on the side of the road or rest area.
But the major advantage of the TC is I am not worrying about Chinese tires and Chinese bearings carrying a heavy trailer down the road.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bandit400 wrote:
. . . I worry that I just wont use a 5th wheel as much because it seems like it will be too much advance prep and anxiety finding a spot for it to camp. It seems it will be much easier to load up the TC on the truck in 20 minutes and set off . . . I am looking at the Host Everest model as the rear slide has a 6 foot couch which one kid can sleep on and the second in the converted dinette. All other Host models seem to be really setup up to sleep 3 comfortably based on my conversation with Randal at Host . . .
The time to maneuver into a site aside, we've found "prep" time to load/unload or hitch/unhitch is about the same with a truck camper as it is with a 5th wheel or TT.

Have you checked out how much functionality you have with the Host Everest with the slides in?

One of the big turn-offs with a lot of units we've looked at in the past was the lack of functionality with the slides-in. Having to pop a slide just to make quick use of the bathroom or fridge while we're on the road was a no-go for us.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I think a BigWig anti sway bar would be a good investment. When not carrying the camper you can back off the 2 jam nuts to disengage it for a better ride.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We routinely travel 2 adults , 2 teenage boys, dog in a single slide TC. Love it. If weather is decent, boys bring a tent, but no big deal. We make it work. We donโ€™t live in it...itโ€™s a convenient way to travel.
Have fun, safe travels.
Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Bandit400
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the feedback and advice! I have gone back and forth for a while now on whether a 5th wheel or truck camper is the better option for my needs. A couple things that lead me to the truck camper as the better option. When I considered a 5th wheel, the big concern is that I would have to store it about 45 minutes away (a couple reasons why that needs to happen). Second, I think about the large size of a 5th wheel is going to limit where I can camp and stop overnight while I am on my way to my destination. Seems it is harder to find RV campsites these days in many of the popular vacation spots without booking months ahead or just the size limitations. With COVID, seems everyone is RVing these days:). I worry that I just wont use a 5th wheel as much because it seems like it will be too much advance prep and anxiety finding a spot for it to camp. It seems it will be much easier to load up the TC on the truck in 20 minutes and set off. There also seems to be a lot more places to camp in my opinion given the smaller size. Of course, the big downside with a TC is the size but I look at it this way. I usually stay in a hotel room with wife and kids while on vacation, honestly the typical hotel room probably not much bigger than the Everest:) On a rainy day my kids end up burying their heads in their Iphone or throw on the tv. My goal is to get them out of the camper and enjoy nature. I am looking at the Host Everest model as the rear slide has a 6 foot couch which one kid can sleep on and the second in the converted dinette. All other Host models seem to be really setup up to sleep 3 comfortably based on my conversation with Randal at Host.

Thanks gbsteph,zb39,and mike/kellie for the Host specific advice and sales recommendations:C It is sad that all these RV/Camper manufacturers just don't have the level of Quality Assurance/Control in place:( I am sure I will be reaching out with questions as I continue down this exciting journey ๐Ÿ™‚

gbsteph
Explorer
Explorer
I think I can help. I purchased the Host Cascade in January of this year and it rides on the back of my Ram 3500 CTD 4WD Dually. As far as options go, you can't go wrong with the selections you made. As far as size for a family of four, well my opinion is that I didn't buy any kind of camper, truck-through Class A, to go sit in another version of my home. I RV camp to get back to nature and the outdoors and appreciate a warm/cool place to sleep with a bathroom and a kitchen. Yes it's nice to have a TV/DVD player etc for those unexpected rainy days, but I think you'll survive the smaller quarters just fine. I wish I would have elected to NOT get the Onan genny and devise a way to fit a smaller/quieter Honda genny in the empty cavity. That way, you take it when you need it, and don't have to haul the extra weight when you don't need it.

I live in Texas and purchased mine from Tom's Camperland in Mesa Az. Since I am out of state, they drive across state line into New Mexico to sign the papers, thus saving me the full sales tax. Had a friend that did the same. They are a great bunch of guys and the sale and process was easy. Sales guy was Allen Greeley, awesome guy...tell him Greg Baxter sent ya.

Now, for some after purchase facts. I weighed mine the other day, and I am 480 pounds over my GVWR of 14000 but under on both axle ratings with a slightly above average load. Yours may be more as it's a bigger camper. I'm comfortable with this and will adjust where I can to decrease it. I have always used air bags on my rear axle with my past and present truck camper just to level it out, because it will sag. I did install the Torklift lower Stable-Loads to engage my lower overload spring sooner. And may consider the uppers for the upper overload springs, and possibly a Sway bar. It handles pretty good as is, so I am going to give it some time to see if I need the other upgrades.

My other suggestion, is look it over VERY carefully. The quality is as good as any other, but I've already had issues with mine from the start. My fridge will cut out on AC power and not switch over to propane automatically. So I frequently have to check to see that it's on, cycle the switch and it starts right up. The Jensen RV stereo/CD/DVD player recently started cutting out and losing all volume in any mode. The rubber filler trim that covers the screws in the channel joints from the sides to the front bullnose both left and right sides have blown out at two different occasions. And, I've found loose sheet metal attach bolts that are stripped out on both slide out lower slide tracks. A few minor plumbing and shower leaks, some interior trim issues and the Water Heater Anode looked like it was 10 years old when I pulled it out to drain the WH. Now, all of this would be warrantied and if I lived in Mesa I would take it straight to them and I am sure they would rectify it. I've contacted them and they have been great about sending me parts to replace on my own such as the Anode and exterior trim. The Fridge and stereo (which you will have no way of knowing if they will fail) have to be diagnosed by an RV repair facility which I plan to do this winter. The loose slide out bolts, is poor quality in my mind and should have never happened. I will have that looked at this winter as well. So, again, take as much time as you need and go over it very thoroughly during your delivery. Check that all systems work and operate them as many times as you need to feel comfortable. I believe Host makes a good product and I'm sure once the bugs are worked out of mine, I will be even happier than I am now with it. After that, go and enjoy and make some memories. Hope I have been helpful. PM me if you have any questions I can help with.
Greg Baxter

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bakedalaskan1 wrote:
Probably not the right choice for your family. I have owned two 11 foot truck campers,

I would say that depends totally on what your "family" IE mom n dad want.
If you want luxurious sprawl out in the camper, whole family like you're sitting in your living room/open kitchen at home in your custom home, then a TC AINT the right choice. But if you actually intend on calling what you're doing "camping", then it sure seems to work for many thousands of families and groups all the time.
We've outgrown the kids being short enough to sleep on the dinette and bunk in our shortbox camper, but an Everest is easily big enough to house a family of four.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just left the Host factory 30 minutes ago. We have a new Mammoth ordered for early Jan of 2021 and wanted to verify colors and layout. The couch or dinette ( your option) really sleeps 1 person.
Our son and his girlfriend tried to sleep there once and he opted for the floor. They were hiking the PCT and used to sharing a small tent but the dinette didn't have enough depth. You can buy in Oregon with no sales tax.
Btw, we were the 3rd customers Host entertained today. They had a couple come off production with different options. They're shifting production to Cascades right now.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

bakedalaskan1
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not the right choice for your family. I have owned two 11 foot truck campers, class C , class A, 5th wheel and many bumper pulls. My advice is to set up a small table, 2 lawn chairs a television and camp stove in your bathroom or kitchen and have the family spend the night together in that room. If you make it through the night you would probably successfully last a weekend in a truck camper but no way last a week or two in one. I think truck campers are great and certainly have a place in our ranks. I wish I still had one for many reasons but my advice to you is to buy a used one first and give it a try. At least take the family to the dealer and watch television for an hour and play cards and imagine it is pouring down rain outside. Then decide how you would get ready for bed and again how you will get dressed in the morning. After that go sit in a class c or travel trailer and try to imagine the same situation. Your truck is very capable for a truck camper. Have fun shopping.

Bandit400
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks zb39 for the dealer recommendation.

Thanks mkirsch, good advice.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And if part of the reason for a $100k purchase is for the convenience or cost savings for out of town sports tournaments, think again.
Our kids are/ have been all over the US and Canada for sports and even though we own the camper and truck for years and not a purchase consideration, it rarely, if ever makes sense to take it. Both financially and/or the extra time and effort required.
Just got back last night, 4 days in Boise, from Seattle. Hockey. Actually thought I was going to do the camper thing this time. It was still overall cheaper, faster, easier to drive a fast car there and stay in a hotel. Seriously.
If youโ€™re doing it for the fun only. Different story.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like literally the ultimate TC on top of the ultimate truck !

The Honda โ€œshouldโ€ run the AC but as you know, itโ€™ll be close. See if anyone can say definitively.

Tax? Learn how that works. If you donโ€™t know, youโ€™re likely getting ripped off.....in general.

And yes truck will haul it fine. Decide what suspension mods you want or need after you haul it and do some reading. Youโ€™ll have a hard time picking out the proper recommendation through the piles of bs here.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get the camper first and then determine IF you need upgrades before adding them. You may not need anything.

It's not like you will be so blissfully ignorant of any handling issues that you won't slow down or otherwise compensate for them initially. If you are that blissfully ignorant, maybe a big heavy camper on a big heavy truck isn't the best choice... but I digress.

The truck is not going to explode into pieces without the suspension upgrades. Actually it will be more likely to explode into pieces WITH the upgrades, but that's so highly unlikely it's not even a consideration.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.