cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about starcraft

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
I think that starcraft is owned by jayco, if so are they the same quality as the jayco's.i.e design, materials. Workmanship?
18 REPLIES 18

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Starcraft autumn ridge...it has been awesome in our first year with it.
Minor issues, but those minor issues I have are the same I see with every other trailer I here.

I definitely like the brand...
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
batavia02 wrote:
That is true from what i have read on this site any rv weather entry level or top of the line motor home costing a small fortune, can have problems, that is what makes rv.net so helpfull when looking it is easy to ask evryone and see what problems if any others had with their version of the same make model, one is looking at.
Very true, the Forum is a great way to exchange information. I think one should factor in the "ownership loyalty" bias, though. It's human nature to believe that one made the best choice on a purchase.

IIRC, Starcraft and the other brands in the parent company had some plant shifts in the past few years. I think Starcrafts were being built in another plant but then returned to their own factory. I hope I have that right but that may kind of skew the history of quality over the past few model years.

A person that was thinking of buying a Starcraft could call the National Customer Service number and get detailed information about all of the above. I've called them and found that their customer service was a cut above what's usually the case. For example, a five minute conversation netted me the owner's manual and brochures emailed to me for my '71 Starcraft within minutes.

Westend: For awhile (during the depths of the resession) Starcraft units (at least many if not all of them) were in fact being built in Jayco's factories alongside their cousins. (According to a Factory rep I spoke with at a RV show here in Ohio last year.) As far as I know that is no longer the case and both are now operating in their own facilities again.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
One other quick thing. I think you need to have your internet filter on... By that, I mean that in addition to owner loyalty bias, you also encounter the "horror" stories. Keep in mind that for every horror story there are likely many other happy and satisfied customers too busy camping to post here.

I hope I was open and let you know my own bias right up front. I'd not hesitate to buy my unit over. But I also fully admit that it is not perfect, and not the right choice for everybody.

No matter your choice, expect issues, just as you will most likely find in a new house. You will find issues and imperfections anywhere.

Happy hunting!
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K

Our Story...
Places we've camped

westend
Explorer
Explorer
batavia02 wrote:
That is true from what i have read on this site any rv weather entry level or top of the line motor home costing a small fortune, can have problems, that is what makes rv.net so helpfull when looking it is easy to ask evryone and see what problems if any others had with their version of the same make model, one is looking at.
Very true, the Forum is a great way to exchange information. I think one should factor in the "ownership loyalty" bias, though. It's human nature to believe that one made the best choice on a purchase.

IIRC, Starcraft and the other brands in the parent company had some plant shifts in the past few years. I think Starcrafts were being built in another plant but then returned to their own factory. I hope I have that right but that may kind of skew the history of quality over the past few model years.

A person that was thinking of buying a Starcraft could call the National Customer Service number and get detailed information about all of the above. I've called them and found that their customer service was a cut above what's usually the case. For example, a five minute conversation netted me the owner's manual and brochures emailed to me for my '71 Starcraft within minutes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer

Thsldo
Explorer
Explorer
This is an interesting topic, as we are close to purchasing a 2015 StarCraft AR-One 26BHS. I am a little nervous on pulling the trigger and moving forward. main reason, we have 4 kids. I'd prefer the 4 bunk options, but for the price on the new StarCraft, you just can't go wrong.
Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I am personally familiar with both a 2013 and a 2014 Starcraft, both Autumn Ridge models. Both have been great so far, with minor issues here and there. Certainly not major issues though.

With that being said, you will find major issues with any brand. From any level. Cheap campers to expensive ones, they ALL have issues.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all i think i have made my decision about starcraft, back to square 1

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Heh, Starcraft, they're all junk, they'll never last! ๐Ÿ˜ž :B :W

LOL. Westend you'll be lucky if you get another 40 years out of the piece of junk! Better send it up to me now!!! Hahha.

All I can add to the conversation at this point is my own personal experience with my first ever Travel Trailer (see sig).

So far it's been a great unit, I have no regrets so far. It is NOT perfect however.

My unit turned 1 year old in June. So far I've had it to the dealer once for the following warranty work:
1 non functioning 120v outlet (loose wire).
My black tank gauge always read empty (yes empty not full), loose wire again.
There were a couple of trim type issues on the interior that were fixed.
On the outside one marker light on the rear of the unit was over tightened to the point that it was bent and would not hold the lens cap in place. (Replaced)

And that was It I think. This fall when I'm done camping for the season I'm going to take it back to the dealer and have them winterize it for me. A section of the underbelly in the rear of the unit has come loose and I'll be asking for that to be fixed under warranty...

The unit is perfect for us. Entry level, *whatever*. What matters is if it's right for you and not the elite that think nothing good can be had for less than a million bucks...

IMHO: I looked at 100s of units over nearly three years before we settled on this unit. I'm lucky to live in a area with a lot of brand representation. My closest Jayco Dealer is 10 minutes from my house and I lusted over many of their units with similar floorplans.

Finally at the end of the day (again, IMHO) I decided that the main difference currently between Jayco and Starcraft is the brand premium you pay for the badge. Not saying that there are *no* real differences like larger tank capacities in Jayco's, I am saying that the difference is slight.

YMMV! Every brand builds a Lemon from time to time.

Do lots of research. For me it was half the fun.

Our Story...
Places we've camped

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Heh, Starcraft, they're all junk, they'll never last! ๐Ÿ˜ž :B :W
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tll
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2015 Starcraft this summer. It replaced our 2011 Jayco. I would consider the quality very similar to that of the Jayco.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
My '05 Starcraft hybrid has been trouble free for the couple years I have owned it. It has some age related wear and tear, but nothing major... and most importantly, no leaks.

I seem to think that I heard Starcraft is now independent from Jayco as of fairly recently. Anyone else heard this?
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
DE88ROX wrote:
yes they are owned by the same company. not sure who bought out who.. All I know is the Starcraft Autumn Ridge I bought new in 2012 will be my last one. Glad I bought the extended warranty. something tells me ill be needing it.

Would you mind sharing your experience? As a Starcraft owner I would like to know what to face later on.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We had an '05 Starcraft hybrid for 8 years, other than routine maintenance we had no major issues.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......