cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Real weights of an arctic Fox 1140?

2dedge
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any documented ready to use weights? I have a 2008 crew cab duramax dually I know I am going to be "over" the 11,400 gvwr but how far is the real question?
54 REPLIES 54

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Note it indicates the rear axel is different internally between the F250 and F350. The other thing that is strange is that the F250 diesel comes with vacuum brakes instead of the hydroboast of the F350. Another person told me this was correct and that Ford was adding a vacuum pump to the 250 diesels to do this. At some point after 2013 I think Ford dropped this and went to hydroboast for all of the diesels.

This is a known mess up in the way Ford placed specs according to Ford diesel truck techs on several websites.

The 2 pinion should be under the F450...

The 1.50/1.57/37 spline comes under the F350 DRW....

Just a point here but even if the axle diameter was different it wouldn't make the load carried any difference as a rear full floating axle don't carry the load. Fords list the same tow rating for the F250 and F350 SRW in most cases.

Specs tells us the engine/tranny and both axles can be the same all depending on cab selections/2wd vs 4wd in some cases.

As was mentioned we can find small differences even in the F350 SRW truck line with all their different RAWR and GVWR packages such as a 10000 gvwr F350 .....same as the F250 10000 gvwr with exception of the 250 at 6100 rawr vs some F350 srw at 6290 rawr.

However even Fords spring rating specs can be the same for both size trucks depending on package selections.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
For the tiny tiny difference in purchase price of the F250 versus the F350SRW, it is far better to get the F350SRW, instead of the F250. Same goes for the GM and Dodge 2500 versus 3500SRW.

Trucks these days are $50,000-$80,000 new. The extra measily $500 for the one-ton SRW versus the 3/4-ton is mere peanut crumbs, in the scheme of things. Buy the right truck from the get-go!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
2BLAZERS wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Know that gvws are only a rough guideline for vehicle classes and do not delve into specific component strengths or their suitability in a certain combination.
Look no further than 9900lb gvw 2500s that are no different than a 12000lb gvw 3500 save for the badge on the fender.

So what 9,900 gvw 2500 is exactly the same as a 12k gvw 3500 other than the badge? EXACTLY the same! ????? If that's true why do you have ''Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads'' on your 2500??

Honestly I think you are being misleading and helping people justify their 250/2500 carrying a 5k truck camper... ''cause you just need to add some better wheels''.......

There is very little difference if any between the SRW 3500 and 2500. Once you go to the DRW 3500, the axle and brakes may be bigger than the SRW's, but the frame is still the same. Spring rates vary based on the options chosen and cannot be assumed to be more for a 3500 over a 2500.

I have always been a bit confused about this.. DRW is substantially different (except the frame) than SRW ( even get a 4 ton hydralic jack instead of a 2 ton mechanical one). For the SRW I am not sure. Adding the camper package to the F250 gets you the overload spring the F350 has. However, there are bits and pieces that seem different. Here is a snapshot of one page of the 2013 Ford tech specs I got when I was shopping:

Note it indicates the rear axel is different internally between the F250 and F350. The other thing that is strange is that the F250 diesel comes with vacuum brakes instead of the hydroboast of the F350. Another person told me this was correct and that Ford was adding a vacuum pump to the 250 diesels to do this. At some point after 2013 I think Ford dropped this and went to hydroboast for all of the diesels.

Since I went straight to the DRW I never really tried to chase this things down.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
2BLAZERS wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Know that gvws are only a rough guideline for vehicle classes and do not delve into specific component strengths or their suitability in a certain combination.
Look no further than 9900lb gvw 2500s that are no different than a 12000lb gvw 3500 save for the badge on the fender.

So what 9,900 gvw 2500 is exactly the same as a 12k gvw 3500 other than the badge? EXACTLY the same! ????? If that's true why do you have ''Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads'' on your 2500??

Honestly I think you are being misleading and helping people justify their 250/2500 carrying a 5k truck camper... ''cause you just need to add some better wheels''.......

There is very little difference if any between the SRW 3500 and 2500. Once you go to the DRW 3500, the axle and brakes may be bigger than the SRW's, but the frame is still the same. Spring rates vary based on the options chosen and cannot be assumed to be more for a 3500 over a 2500.

This and I can attest to 03-09 rams. Everything is the same and the addition of an overload was all the difference they had. This might blow your mind...my 2500 has a gvrw of 9000 lbs. Its a joke that a badge and overload spring takes the same truck I have to 10,100. Same axles, brakes, frame.

I'm not current enough nor have I replaced parts in the newer 4th gen trucks but coils in the rear is a pretty large difference but I would be shocked if they used larger brakes, axles and frames on the 3500 series, it doesn't make sense from a manufacturer standpoint!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Bedlam
2BLAZERS wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are the 2016 numbers (see page 10)

Ford Rv Towing Guide 2106

Interesting the gas went down a bit from 2013. The F450 went down as well. I don't know the reasons. All of these are maximums meaning bare bone trucks.

I haven't been able to find the 2017 numbers yet, I would note when I went truck shopping for a camper hauler it was very interesting to open the driver door and look at the yellow sticker giving maximum payload. Trim options and having a diesel really do reduce payload. Just for fun here is my yellow sticker. It would be interesting to see what others hauling campers have for their payload:

(In case anybody is confused by the numbers the camper numbers in the guide assume you have a 150 pound passenger in each seat so they are smaller then the payload numbers on the sticker)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
brholt wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
For sure, never mind the F450 has larger brakes, larger rear axle, 19.5's....but by all means, the F350 is a better hauler. Amazing!

I know when I was shopping for my truck in 2013 I was a bit puzzled by the F450. As you noted, bigger components so you would figure it would haul better. Only thing I could figure was GVWR is determined by the weakest component. That suggested, as noted i. The other thread, maybe the spring pack wasn't any stronger and the weakest link. Alternatively maybe the frame on the pickups isn't really suited for more than 14,000 pounds. It is interesting the higher rated F450 chassis / cab model uses a different frame.

Really liked the turning radius though.

You're correct, the 450 pickups are like a 3500hd, or 4500 light. And it is possible the frame is the lowest common denominator, but if it was then the 3500s wouldn't have more payload as most of the addl weight in a 4500 pickup (not C&C) is unsprung weight. (Bigger wheels, axle and brakes).
Also, as a ME, you know design considerations are surrounded by liability. And with that, a reputable smart company is going to put a greater factor of safety into the components that, if they fail, would cause catastrophic failure and great liability problems.
To that point, in years, I've seen only 1 pic of a frame failure, was a ford and on this website, but that's not pertinent. I've not heard of any HD pickup splitting a rim and tossing the wheel off the truck resulting in a fiery crash, although I've read of a couple cracked rims. But I've personally had, seen or replaced several broken leaf springs over the years.
I've also seen MANY trucks used daily at so far over their rated gvws that they'd make Ralph Nader roll over in his grave.
I've driven mostly F150 company trucks for about 20 years now and my typical load on a few of them was a large cross box and 2 side boxes with as many tools as I could stuff in them. Then what little bed space was left usually was full of stuff that was not light! All that on c clip axles and sometimes 15" tires, 40kmi a year, 90mph across the desert almost daily in 0 degree or 110degree weather. Popped a couple tires and a leaf spring occasionally. Never fell a part though.
Of all those in personal experience, just one truck literally was destroyed to the point that a catastrophic failure was certainly imminent.
It was a brand new 1989 Dodge 350 dually. 360 gasser that I installed a dump bed on for the landscape nursery I turned wrenches for in high school.
In the first 30?kmi this truck had bent both rear axle shafts, bent one side axle tube, couple sets of outer bearings. Axle was junked and replaced when the tube bent. New brakes and or rotors every other month it seemed and the frame cracked over the rear axle on both sides at different times. Had a shop weld and plate the first one. Copied their work and did it myself on the other side when it went.
Reason for all this, was my boss was dumb and didn't understand anything we are talking about here. It was the first dually dump we had, save for some old LN 700s and C60s that weren't really road worthy. And this truck was put thru he!!
Best load I seen, it came back one night, had the NH 785 skid steer in the dump bed! Along with 2 or 4 36" root ball trees. Still dunno how they got them up there AFTER the skid steer was loaded. Dually tandem tag trailer, gvw Unknown, with 2 shredded flat tires and 12-16? Of the same size trees, like 25 footers with 3' dia root balls!
That was the immediate cause of the first frame crack.
After that, I don't think twice about putting 4000lbs in the back of a 3/4 ton truck with a 10klb rear axle and feel safe doing it.
I bet that little dually was grossing well over 40000gcvw that day. Oh and it towed that big tag trailer everywhere on the OE Dodgge 2" square receiver hitch.

Another reason I don't get as wound up with a little hitch extension here or there like that thread.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
Dana 110 is a medium duty rear axle and will carry the weight better as you will never be close to a max load on it.
Yep, it's definitely a monster axle, for a pickup! :B
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinsil wrote:
For sure, never mind the F450 has larger brakes, larger rear axle, 19.5's....but by all means, the F350 is a better hauler. Amazing!

I know when I was shopping for my truck in 2013 I was a bit puzzled by the F450. As you noted, bigger components so you would figure it would haul better. Only thing I could figure was GVWR is determined by the weakest component. That suggested, as noted in the other thread, maybe the spring pack wasn't any stronger and the weakest link. Alternatively maybe the frame on the pickups isn't really suited for more than 14,000 pounds. It is interesting the higher rated F450 chassis / cab model uses a different frame.

Really liked the turning radius though.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Dana 110 is a medium duty rear axle and will carry the weight better as you will never be close to a max load on it.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
Sort of on topic. Here is a snapshot of Fords Truck Camper weight loading guide (2013). It's 140 pages and shows how truck options effect the weight of the truck and the center of gravity for all of the truck configurations.

Note the weight savings of Getting rid of the DEF tank.
Some weights on this chart make no sense...

How does spray-on bedliner subtract 2 lbs from each axle?
How do fog lights add 3 lbs to the rear axle and nothing to the front axle?
How does a chrome exhaust tip extension remove 6 lbs from the front axle and add nothing to the rear axle?

I assume the option for deleting the DEF tank is for body upfitters who will later add their own DEF tank in a different location. I don't think you can completely remove the DEF tank permanently and still be emissions legal, or have the engine and computer run right...
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Vinsil wrote:

I had a big post saying exactly this and it wouldn't post yesterday.
Get the bigger truck and add a couple springs in back if you need them.
The 450 pickup from what little I know about Fords is a 350 wide track with all the same or larger components save for rear spring rate. Not the least of which is the rear axle. That's the key component to hauling more payload.
No brainer which one is a stouter truck.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer