cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing bat-wing roll-up tv antenna

bodacious
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one out there replaced their bat-wing tv antenna wit the newer flat style that you put in the window? What kind do you use and how does it work for you?
Bodacious & Bride
'00 Northern Lite 10-2000 RR
'06 Escalade CK
'03 GMC 3500 Duramax
8 REPLIES 8

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My 5'er came with a Winegard Batwing that I never use. It hasn't even been connected since I set up DirecTV Whole Home years ago. I used the coax from the front TV to the a/v area in the left rear of my 5'er to get a DirecTV signal to the front TV.

Since I wasn't even using this antenna and the fact that it leaked through it a time or two I was fed up with it. It was only raised twice a year for roof cleaning and it finally got to the point it didn't want to raise. So.....

When I had my rubber roof replaced last week I had this antenna removed and replaced with a Winegard RoadStar. I know it might not pick up as well as the old batwing, but I really don't care since I don't use it anyway. I just felt that there should be a broadcast TV antenna up there for another owner at some point in the future.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We use one of the flat panels at our house, range is about 30 miles MAX. But works good for that range.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If your batwing is older than about 2005 of so, you might do well to replace the head with the newest one. Mmy old one had very pickup, so I replaced it and saw a big change. Over flat country, we can pick up stations 60 miles away.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Search for posts re: Winegard Bat Wing antenna by SCVJeff. He has done extensive testing of Winegard, King and Jack and in his never to be humble opinion Winegard is the best.

link
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Bedlam
Even my Winegard Omni pulled in signals well. Those patch flat antennas can be laid flat horizontally for omni reception or vertically for directional reception but are better for people closer to TV towers than out in the fringes of coverage.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Search for posts re: Winegard Bat Wing antenna by SCVJeff. He has done extensive testing of Winegard, King and Jack and in his never to be humble opinion Winegard is the best.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can not do better than the Winegard Batwing with the Wingman add-on crank up antenna for most RV's and situations. If you "camp" in an open field with no trees or other campers around you then just about anything will receive digital tv signals.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have 5 of those flat antennas you hang in the window we used in the house. Actually, they work pretty good, but your bat wing will work better.