cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Riddle

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would I weld a pipe to my handlebars? Remember, this is the TC forum.

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
42 REPLIES 42

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
towpro wrote:
HERE is what I use for GPS on most of my bikes (accept my BMW which has the factory GPS mount). It replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts.

Original poster, can you carry your bike on the front?

Me I just put the trailer on the back. Plus it gives me outdoor type space when it poring rain.

No, I can't carry it on the front without major fabrication. I would have to make some sort of dual hitches to straddle the winch. Plus my front axle is pretty close to max. I also have an enclosed MC trailer but then what do I do with the boat?

I don't know how this thread took off on GPS mounting but I use the Ram ball mounts on my MC and quad. :C
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Bedlam
I'm not sure what all the problems are with suction mounts. I use the same windshield mount on the fuel tank of my motorcycle with no problems and can ride for 250 miles between fill ups before I remove it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
HERE is what I use for GPS on most of my bikes (accept my BMW which has the factory GPS mount). It replaces one of the handlebar clamp bolts.

Original poster, can you carry your bike on the front?

Me I just put the trailer on the back. Plus it gives me outdoor type space when it poring rain.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
hbski wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Am I wrong, but couldn't you get in the door without your modification if the bike was facing the other way? In any case, that would be a problem if the handle bars failed to lock. ๐Ÿ™‚

To get the bike to face the opposite direction would entail cutting the MC carrier off of the 4' Super truss and re-welding it. Then I don't think I am skinny enough to get between the bars and camper to get to the door. :B

couldn't you go in from the driver's side if it were facing the other way?

Nope. The door doesn't open all the way flat against the camper due to the gray water valve.

or move the bike a bit further toward the driver's side?

Nope again. Welding the pipe to the bars was much simpler and easier than moving the welded on MC carrier.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
~DJ~ wrote:
Now I unbolt the handlebars, turn them 90 degrees and re-clamp them on the short pipe. Now I can open the TC door and miss the bars.

BRILLIANT!!!!!
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Am I wrong, but couldn't you get in the door without your modification if the bike was facing the other way? In any case, that would be a problem if the handle bars failed to lock. ๐Ÿ™‚

To get the bike to face the opposite direction would entail cutting the MC carrier off of the 4' Super truss and re-welding it. Then I don't think I am skinny enough to get between the bars and camper to get to the door. :B

couldn't you go in from the driver's side if it were facing the other way?

or move the bike a bit further toward the driver's side?
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
Machine gun mount.

LOL!!!!!! :B Now THAT was funny!

Seriously, that is a great idea, DJ. Nice mod.

Hey, you never know when the zombies might show up. LoL
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
And here I was thinking it was an attachment point for my chain, so my Harley could pull you out of the muck you got stuck in.:) Machine gun is my favorite.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Machine gun mount.

LOL!!!!!! :B Now THAT was funny!

Seriously, that is a great idea, DJ. Nice mod.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely a TC topic. Using the door while hauling bikes on the rear of the TC can be a real challenge. Hauling a motorcycly can be enen more challenging. Good job ~DJ~.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mote wrote:
Excellent idea DJ.
What kind of bike do you have? Looks like a dual sport.

It is a '12 Honda 230 F dirt bike with a "sort of" street legal kit. 50# lighter than the street version.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
You need this off a Honda Trail:

This is where I got the idea. Used to own one. I just figured out how to make it work on mine. A lot cheaper and less work too!!