cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Truck for the job?

JulieMB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a micro Minnie 22 foot trailer. I just got back from driving in mountainous area with wind, white knuckle driving. I just feel like the truck I was using just wasn't doing it's job.. of course we were told this truck would work. Perhaps we are a little naïve to trust. Perhaps it's me being to cautious. Any suggestions!
Truck is a GMC Canyon V6 (2017) tow capability 7,000

Micro Minnie GVWR 7,000 dry weight 3,700
2 axles. Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
JulieMB wrote:
I have a micro Minnie 22 foot trailer. I just got back from driving in mountainous area with wind, white knuckle driving. I just feel like the truck I was using just wasn't doing it's job.. of course we were told this truck would work. Perhaps we are a little naïve to trust. Perhaps it's me being to cautious. Any suggestions!
Truck is a GMC Canyon V6 (2017) tow capability 7,000

Micro Minnie GVWR 7,000 dry weight 3,700
2 axles. Thanks.

Any full size half ton with a tow package should handle your TT. My Jayco is heavier than yours dry, but has a much lower cargo capacity and tops out at 5500 lbs. My F-150 handles the load easily, and I wouldn't have any problem with your trailer either. Set it up right with a good WDH and you should be good with a 150/1500, or go 250/2500 if that's what makes you feel more comfortable.

I've been towing my 24' TT in moderate to strong winds every time we've had it out this year. While it's more fun when the wind doesn't blow, we don't get much choice out here on the prairie - towing in wind is a fact of life. Your Canyon just isn't big enough to dampen the bucking caused by the wind knocking your TT around.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
One would hope we would not see the "you need diesel" comments anymore, what was the point ? It was not even funny, it's old.
To the OP.
I towed almost same set up; 22 footer, 3400 dry, close to 5 k loaded with my old 2006 Ford Explorer v8 rated at 7000 as well. It did just fine.
I think all you need is some adjustments and run higher rpm when needed. I am not that familiar with the sway control setups so will not suggest anything, but maybe that's all you need to change.
And some people confuse the original Canyon with the new generation. They are close in size to the full 1/2 tons.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I'd agree.....no need for a diesel for that trailer.

However, you may need a different truck to meet your comfort level when towing.

If you follow the suggestions here about setting up the Canyon, and still find that it isn't an enjoyable towing experience, you may need to step up to a decent 1/2 ton truck or larger SUV to feel comfortable.

It's not all about the numbers, even setup correctly, and within it's rated limits, the Canyon may never feel 'solid' with that trailer under certain conditions.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
snowpeke wrote:
Another baby truck pulling a big trailer

Hardly! a 22ft trailer isn't "big". and the Colorado isn't a "baby" truck, its a midsize. the setup sounds perfect to me, they just need some time setting it up right!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should not have any issues towing that trailer. you are well under its rating. 3700lbs dry should weigh in around 5k lbs ready to travel. have you weighed everything to make sure you have plenty of tongue weight? Are you using a weight distributing hitch? Its only 22 feet so length isn't an issue.

I`m thinking you have some tweeking to do with your setup, as you would with any new setup.

And yes the engine will rev with a load while going up hills, that's where it makes its power, nothing wrong with that as that's where it makes its power.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
There is not enough info to make a good comment. Of course there were the normal "you need a diesel" shots.

What weight distribution and anti sway system is being used. Who set it up and have ou checked the setup?

What does the trailer weigh? Need to do all the weights as described in this forum so you know the trailer weight and tongue weight.
What were the mountains and altitude you were towing through?
What speed were you trying to maintain?
What engine RPMs were you running at
Were you using tow/haul?

Towing up hills the engine will have to work. It is not on grocery getter duty. But it does not hurt the engine to let it rev. 4000 rpm plus is just fine.

If you can answer some of these questions you may get better answers than get a diesel.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The wind was white knuckles."

Then the heavier the TV the better. Yes, snow..baby trucks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Keep as light a possible, but other than that not much you can do about the power. As for handling you may need to adjust your hitch some. And air the rear tires up to sidewall max. In the end you will either learn live with the truck you have, or trade for a larger one. But even with a 3500 DRW truck a strong wind will push you around, some days are just tough.
And as said above the dealers will say most anything to make a sale.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Another baby truck pulling a big trailer
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Our first tow with our Ford Excursion was also a white knuckle experience. We were towing a 6000# TT with an SUV designed to tow almost twice that amount. We also were using sway control (REESE Dual Cam).

The fix was installing a Hellsing rear stabilizer bar. The improvement was like night and day.

Check your rear stabilizer bar...
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

JulieMB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. First double checking hitch get second opinion ! Second run at a higher rpm!!

JulieMB
Explorer
Explorer
The wind was white knuckles!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
That tt should be within the Canyons ability unless you load it to the max GVWR which would be tough with that much CCC available.

Every vehicle will lag towing in the mountains,especially one with a naturally aspirated engine. It needs to rev high to be in the engines' power band, don't be afraid of 4k+ rpm. Without some sort of boost (supercharger/turbo) your power will decrease with altitude. If you always tow in the mountains you should maybe consider trading it for a diesel version.

As for sway and white knuckle driving, there are things you can try to improve it. Know your actual weights to ensure you're loaded properly with sufficient tongue weight. Use a proper hitch and have it adjusted correctly. If the dealer did it you may want to readjust it. They usually don't take the time to do it properly (eyeball it) and it is usually before the tt is loaded. Air the truck tires to max.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you are just not used to hearing an engine having to rev at high rpms to get up the grades.. It's usually 'normal' for an engine to do that when it's working hard...

Towing a TT is not like going to the grocery store, so it'll need to work.

You are at the max tow ratings of that truck, so it's gonna have to work to tow it.

Get a little bigger truck, with the same TT and it might not have to work as hard..

Take my setup for example... I've got an F150 that is rated to tow an #11000 TT...

The trailer I tow with it weighs a tad over #5000....

Guess how my towing experience is?? 🙂 🙂

Been towing trailers for over 35 years and have towed overloaded from coast to coast back in the day... Long before any of this "tow rating" stuff came into play...

So, you just have to find your own towing comfort level and go from there to match the trailer to the tow vehicle...

It's not always about the vehicles "tow rating", because it ain't the same as going to the store.... 😉

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.