cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubber Roof cleaning questions

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't get a straight answer from my RV dealer so I thought I'd try here for opinions. I'm going to clean my rubber roof on my 2011 Keystone Springdale 311. I purchased some Camco rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. The directions say to apply it to a small area at a time, and wipe the area and then rinse with clean water. My problem is that I don't have a fresh water supply at my trailer site. Any water I add to my fresh water tank has to be hauled by me, consequently I use it very sparingly. I was wondering, if I use the Camco cleaner and remove as much as I can with damp clothes, would a good rain suffice to wash off what might be remaining on the roof? Is it going to hurt the rubber roof if it doesn't get hosed off after I wash it with the cleaner? The cleaner is supposed to have a conditioner in it. If it's rinsed off immediately after it's applied, what good is it going to do?
ANY and ALL suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm a little too old to be up on a ladder doing the roof by myself so fire away.
Duane
14 REPLIES 14

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The thread is drifting off topic pretty quick. It's quite obvious the OP wants to wash the roof of his RV. It's quite obvious he is using the traditional Rubber Roof Cleaner.

The question he is asking is how to do it with MINIMAL water?

Any more suggestions. I'd be interest myself to know about other options with minimal water.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I use car wash soap and the same brush I wash the trailer with up there, which is just about all I trust on the roof. If that soap can't remove some dirt, then I consider it permanent and not much of a concern really. I like to keep my roof clean since it makes a lot easier to catch something during an inspection. I clean it at least once a year, twice if I it needs it.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP - I use the camco cleaner too. I used to use the liquid spic and span, but had run out of it. Since I had this stuff laying around from part of my care package from buying new, I used it, and I was impressed with how well it worked - better than spic and span. You really do need to rinse any cleaner off your roof though.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
I use spic&span or top job. Comes out really clean

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen roof washing topics several times with no consensus but I'm still in the camp of "why wash the roof?" The rubber roof has a white coating on it to reflect light/heat and protect the rubber; washing it just wears down this protective white coating. Besides, other than when I climb the ladder, no one sees it anyway.

My vote, don't worry about it...fire away
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
The makers of the rubber roof on my trailer recomends Spic-N-Span or Top Job.

Just make sure you don't use any petroleum based cleaning products.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spic and Span and a soft brush is what I use. Gets it clean, but not spotless. Why do folks care so much? I bought it to camp, not to clean. I've heard Murphey's oil soap will also work safely.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

homestudiomusic
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Duane,

I saw your post and wanted to make a suggestion.

I just drove home (from Miami, FL to KC, MO area) my 1st Class A motorhome and the roof was VERY dirty after several years of sitting in Florida.

During my drive home, I stopped at a Truck Wash just south of St. Louis and had the entire vehicle's side AND roof, power-washed - there.

Pretty much, for $45 bucks, the roof came out cleaner than I think I could ever have done myself and it only took the Truck Wash's crew like 30 minutes to do the WHOLE roof and it's a 37 foot long beast-of-a-coach!

Hope this approach might help you decide how to tackle yours, much easier & faster!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If using the recommended rubber roof cleaner, you can do it with 2 buckets of water. Spray on cleaner, sponge it, and rinse with a clean sponge the first bucket. Then use a second bucket with a different sponge and rinse again. Yes, do small sections, and dump the buckets often. I have found a small window squeegee works great for pulling the dirty water on the roof to pool so a sponge can soak it up. That was until I got my current camper that has an arched roof. Can't do it that way no more. Water runs off too fast. So just wiping twice with the sponge works well enough.

Take your time doing it, and just enjoy the moment! Yoll'll be "on top of the world"!

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the soap and car brush, then rinse good and let dry or drive to the next spot:B
My Rubber roof has been cleaned this way several times and NO problems.
GET A STEADY LADDER!!!!!!
Chuck

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just use soap and water, no special cleaners or conditioners required or needed.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
1st figure out what type of rubber roof it is there are a couple of different membranes that are used on these TT's. Mine is the TPO type and the Lit. on it recomends no chemicals other than a mild detergent wash. If you have an EDPM roof there may be a need for further sealing etc. I am not the one to tell you which way you need to go I am just offering a suggestion that you find out what product your Mfg used and then make sure you are using a compatible product.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you need lots of water to rinse it if the protectent sets up with the dirt it willbe in it then and you will have streaks on your sides