Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rusty Suburban Water Heater

brinson
Explorer
Explorer

Has anyone experienced this on a new suburban water heater? This is in a
2017 Host. The camper stays in a enclosed building full time except when used.
15 REPLIES 15

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the Ph of the water was high, it would cause surface rust (and eat up your anode rod quick too....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
brinson wrote:
Well, brought the camper to a local dealer to determine the source of the rust and they pressure tested it with the electric heat on for 2 hours and no leak was detected. While there I noticed a rust stain in the bottom of the relief valve vent making me think at one one time it was relieving. Of course Suburban will not do anything unless there is a leak or crack. I'm wondering if the relief valve may be the source of all the rust.

At this juncture I have to ask what the Ph of your fill water is? Sure looked like a bad bung to me too. Your T&P valve could have been weeping and caused that if the Ph of the water was acidic. T&P valves are cheap and Lowes will have many in stock.

Not sure what the Ph of the water would be as this was filled at Tom's Camperland in Arizona. I discovered the rust when I got home with the camper. I will change the valve.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine rusted through but it took 5 years.
Larry

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
brinson wrote:
Well, brought the camper to a local dealer to determine the source of the rust and they pressure tested it with the electric heat on for 2 hours and no leak was detected. While there I noticed a rust stain in the bottom of the relief valve vent making me think at one one time it was relieving. Of course Suburban will not do anything unless there is a leak or crack. I'm wondering if the relief valve may be the source of all the rust.

At this juncture I have to ask what the Ph of your fill water is? Sure looked like a bad bung to me too. Your T&P valve could have been weeping and caused that if the Ph of the water was acidic. T&P valves are cheap and Lowes will have many in stock.
2015 Backpack SS1500

brinson
Explorer
Explorer

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
Will do, it will be a few weeks as I will be in Arkansas for a week or more.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
brinson wrote:
Got it scheduled to go to a local rv shop after talking to Suburban. After they diagnose it, they are to contact Suburban to work out warranty details. Thanks for the help.

Come back and post results...outcome. OK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
Got it scheduled to go to a local rv shop after talking to Suburban. After they diagnose it, they are to contact Suburban to work out warranty details. Thanks for the help.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Time to return to dealer and have it swapped out for another one under warranty

You have a leak,,,,,,,
electric element seal'
Anode rod bung weld is cracked

Your pic is upside down

I agree. It's under warranty and your bung weld is failed (as Old Biscuit) says.

To the OP:

If Old Biscuit and SidecarFlip both agree that you have a broken weld, you can bet your bottom dollar, 'that' is the problem. Both these gentlemen have many years RVing experience and even more years experience solving life's problems than most viewers of RV.net.

My two cents worth. Worth what you paid for it!

Lakeside

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!!! That's a new water heater. I would suspect an electrical current is causing that.

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
That's what it looked like to me, bung weld or leaking around the threads. The anode is tight though.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've always been partial to Atwood HWH's because of the tank. No anode rod needed and no rust on the outside either.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

You have a leak,,,,,,,
electric element seal'

Your pic is upside down

I agree. It's under warranty and your bung weld is failed (as Old Biscuit) says.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

You have a leak,,,,,,,
electric element seal'

Your pic is upside down
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'