cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping new tires - is my shop confused or am I?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Need new tires on my F350 as the OEM's have worn out. So I am shopping tires where we usually get them but that's always been passenger vehicles without any concern about load rating. So I call them up and tell them what I need - 275/70/18's with an E load rating. Guy tells me they have Michelin defenders (good tires, my wife has them on our CRV) but he seems confused about load rating. He said they are an R rating. I said that's rotation/speed not load. He tells me they are rated for 3,000 lbs. That sounds beefier than an E rated tire and I have concerns about harsh ride? He went into some spiel about how the quality of the rubber really matters more than load and sidewall flex. I was like , "Huh"? Anyway, the load rating seemed elusive to him and his price was $323/tire which seems high. I think the obvious choice is to call around, but this dude who is normally great about anything cars, seemed confused about truck tires. Or am I?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
34 REPLIES 34

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 14" tires on my boat trailer OE were "C" full inflation 50psi and I went to same size in "D" and I run them at 50psi. Weight/inflation chart dictated 45psi based on load. I always add 5psi (per GY Tech) when up sizing load range so 50 is the perfect number as I have towed at least 25k at that pressure with perfect tread wear.

Bonus of having extra capacity if needed was when I recently had a total hub bearing failure and aired up the one tire to 70psi and towed home on back roads for 60 miles with the single tire only getting to less than 120 degrees.

God bless torsion axles. Didn't even need to chain up the dead wheel!

I actually put the "C" spare on and it was 1/2 flat and I knew that would not have worked!

I have an extra complete hub assembly on a spindle now and the tools to change if needed in about 15 minutes. That stays on the Boat.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 14" tires on my boat trailer OE were "C" full inflation 50psi and I went to same size in "D" and I run them at 50psi. Weight/inflation chart dictated 45psi based on load. I always add 5psi (per GY Tech) when up sizing load range so 50 is the perfect number as I have towed at least 25k at that pressure with perfect tread wear.

Bonus of having extra capacity if needed was when I recently had a total hub bearing failure and aired up the one tire to 70psi and towed home on back roads for 60 miles with the single tire only getting to less than 120 degrees.

God bless torsion axles. Didn't even need to chain up the dead wheel!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
The ABCD... is an old system based on how many nylon plies the tire is made from...

I'd have to go back and look to verify, but I don't think that the OEM 245/75R16 tires off Dad's 1989 Chevy C2500 Scottsdale have an LT designation or an ABCDE load range rating. They just say "10 ply rating."

So ply rating was how it started. Then at some point in the 80's or 90's they must have adopted the LT-ABCDE system. Later on they started this load index/speed rating deal. Now pickup truck tires have ALL THREE which makes it confusing. IF you're not up on the legacy nomenclature you and the customer are talking two different languages.

Here's a copy of a page from the 1970 Tire and Rim Association Yearbook that has Load Range and Not Ply Rating: Barry's Tire Tech: 1970 TRA, page 2-04

The TRA yearbook from 1960 still uses PR, so somewhere in the 1960's is when they started using Load Ranges.

And according to Tire Guides, your 1989 C2500 will show an LT245/75R16 Load Range C or D and it had Load Range on the placard and the tire. Nowadays, you can only get Load Range E's in an LT245/75R16, but that's OK because the load carrying capacity of a Load Range E at the same pressure as a LR C or D is the same.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
High mileage tires have a harder rubber compound than low mileage tires. That is why tires have 40,000 miles or 80,000 miles ratings.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike134 wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
pasusan wrote:
Tvov wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I would take a hard pass on any Michelin tire.

Look for an E rated tire in another name brand. I had Generals on my Excursion and was very happy with them.

What happened with Michelin? On these forums they are usually considered one of the best brands.
Yeah - Michelins are our go to tire now - and we have been buying tires for a looooong time.

Same here. Been using Michelin for over 30 years on my trucks and my wife's various cars and SUVs and never any problem with any of them. And great mileage from them also.

Yep same here.

Every one I have had and have seen is dry rotted and cracked after 3 years, so much so I wouldn’t trust them. And I sure wouldn’t spend the money on one.
Oh well, data point of 1 that had bad luck.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 wrote:
The ABCD... is an old system based on how many nylon plies the tire is made from...

I'd have to go back and look to verify, but I don't think that the OEM 245/75R16 tires off Dad's 1989 Chevy C2500 Scottsdale have an LT designation or an ABCDE load range rating. They just say "10 ply rating."

So ply rating was how it started. Then at some point in the 80's or 90's they must have adopted the LT-ABCDE system. Later on they started this load index/speed rating deal. Now pickup truck tires have ALL THREE which makes it confusing. IF you're not up on the legacy nomenclature you and the customer are talking two different languages.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire Size
LT275/70R18 Single Tire - the OEM 20's have similar ratings.
35 psi 2070 lbs
40 psi 2270 lbs
45 psi 2470 lbs
50 psi 2680 lbs (C) 115
55 psi 2840 lbs
60 psi 3020 lbs
65 psi 3195 lbs (D) 121
70 psi 3360 lbs
75 psi 3530 lbs
80 psi 3640 lbs (E) 125
95 psi 3970 lbs (F) 128
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I agree the tire guy was confused or mixing up some terminology with sales talk. Needs more tire technical training.

I always direct the salesman to the exact tire I want. Only thing to discuss is price.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can legitimately claim near one million miles on Michelin's. I have used BFG's, General's along with a few others. Michelin hands down netted at least 20% more miles. ONE set only made it to 40k on my DRW, next set has 55k with lots of tread left.

Only reason one may not get good mileage with Michelin's is they are simply hard on tires and usually over inflate the rears and under inflate the fronts.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"And it is amazing how many "tire salesmen" have no idea about what they sell."
I ask them not to talk until I ask for a price out the door...they are usually wrong.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
pasusan wrote:
Tvov wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Look for an E rated tire in another name brand. I had Generals on my Excursion and was very happy with them.

What happened with Michelin? On these forums they are usually considered one of the best brands.
Yeah - Michelins are our go to tire now - and we have been buying tires for a looooong time.

Same here. Been using Michelin for over 30 years on my trucks and my wife's various cars and SUVs and never any problem with any of them. And great mileage from them also.

Yep same here.

Michelin is so great it's hard to believe any other tire manufacturers can stay in business. I've had them before and the only difference between ride, longevity, and durability between them and many others is the inflated price you pay for the name, but it's your money so spend away.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
pasusan wrote:
Tvov wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Yep same here.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check Costco and Discount Tire. Looks like Michelin may have a rebate going.