cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sooooo... Do you lock your door?

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, do you..? when traveling down the road.

When traveling, we're in and out of the camper often. Locks are honest people deterrents, but we do use them when we go in the store, leave the camp site, etc. Never had a door open when we've forgotten to lock them, so just picking the brains of the many out of curiosity.

See, great questions stem from drinking good wine...
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!
67 REPLIES 67

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
We almost never lock the door. Most of our camper use is boondocking in western Colorado, we sleep with the main door open and screen door shut. I think we would be more likely to have bear problems than people problems. We were in the parking lot at Cheyenne Frontier Das last week and locked the camper while we were out and about.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Always keep both the deadbolt and the handle locked when on the road and when I'm not at the camper. Just a habit I've picked up from running a neighborhood watch program in my neighborhood.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

redink
Explorer
Explorer
When driving, not usually. When near a border crossing, absolutely. Had a random guy walk behind my camper at the Tijuanna to US crossing and swear the he grabbed my handle to check if it was open or not. To get in or leave something in I don't know but it was locked anyway.
2012 Lance 825 on a 2008 Ford F-250 Diesel with Rancho 9000's, Fast Guns, Stableload Quick Disconnects for lowers and homemade Bumbers for the uppers, TokLift Tie Downs

Bedlam
We lock the doors both for mechanical and safety reasons. We have backup systems for both, so I guess I'm one of those guys that wears a belt and suspenders at the same time.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
My father in law loaned me his camper once and warned me that the door might come open if it wasn't locked....I forgot. Looked in the mirror to see my old red cooler bouncing down the road. Kept it locked the rest of that trip.

I almost never lock the camper and I suppose that comes from so many years in a tent which don't lock very well. I carry little of value...now that I think about it, I own little of value to anyone else. Only crime that ever occurred in what must be thousands of days camping (since I lived in tents for some summers in Alaska) was a missing cooler on my return from fishing one day. Teenagers looking for beer. Too bad I took the last cans with me fishing that day.

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
When driving, always. Why rely on a cheap chinese latch to keep the door closed especially when I cant see it if its flapping around back there. If Im sleeping , always. Ide like the chance to hear the door jiggle when a potential intruder attempts entry. That way I have the chance to surprise him and not the other way around. And believe me, if Im awake when the door is forced, there will be a big surprise waiting.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Always...
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Boy oh boy oh boy here we go again with the excesses in response to a simple question. Believe OP just wondered if others locked their door while traveling? My answer yes and no, depends. Period. At night when we're inside, again, depends on where we're at and if I think about it. To casual? Maybe. Ever had a break in or attempt, no. Do I think about it, yes. Do I stress or obsess (sp) over it. No. Answers the question asked? Yup.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...i've always wondered if the very act of travel (with an RV of any genre) put the traveler in an higher cohort of being the victim of crime (opposed to staying home)? I've never seen this hypothesis tested...part of a hypothetical questionnaire would include "miles traveled", and "time on the road over those miles"...
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where I stop or camp (ATV'ing off grid BLM lands) I run a long cable lock across from the left side to right side jack mounts.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was the question:

"Sooooo... Do you lock your door?"

This is the post:

Reality Check wrote:
Well, do you..? when traveling down the road.

When traveling, we're in and out of the camper often. Locks are honest people deterrents, but we do use them when we go in the store, leave the camp site, etc. Never had a door open when we've forgotten to lock them, so just picking the brains of the many out of curiosity.

See, great questions stem from drinking good wine...

The post are drifting away from the subject. It has nothing to do with guns or other drama. Please stay on topic, or risk having your post deleted.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
Is that what he is upset about?
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
sleepy wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
Executive wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
shum02 wrote:
I live in Canada so the answer is no.

lol... awesome.

216 people live in Canada. You're married to one, which makes 16 of them direct relatives. Second cousins and their off spring cover another 92.

Co-workers between the two of you is another 15. 42 are in jail, leaving 49 people you need to worry about.

At any given time, 12 of them are working at a Tim Horton's with 18 patrons visiting, drinking coffee. Six cops are enroute to Tim Horton's, and two just left.

If you had a gun, you could easily defend yourself from the remaining 11 threats.

I'd move.

AWESOME response to a dumb answer....I love it....Dennis
and you wonder why the world thinks of you the way they do.i'm officially done with this forum.

West Virginia has 3 family names.... I moved and changed my name.

^^^^^^ Bawahahahah....

I'm thinking that I'm going to let the 'horney' nickname fall by the wayside.

bcbouy, lighten up. I'm always amazed at how ones panties get all wadded up because someone doesn't agree with them, has a different sense of humor or doesn't see the other side of something. I've got some fantastic folks that I spend a lot of time with that live North...and they take the ribbing just as well as they can dish it out. Our differences are unique and create good humor within our already uptight world.

eh?
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
bcbouy wrote:
Executive wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
shum02 wrote:
I live in Canada so the answer is no.

lol... awesome.

216 people live in Canada. You're married to one, which makes 16 of them direct relatives. Second cousins and their off spring cover another 92.

Co-workers between the two of you is another 15. 42 are in jail, leaving 49 people you need to worry about.

At any given time, 12 of them are working at a Tim Horton's with 18 patrons visiting, drinking coffee. Six cops are enroute to Tim Horton's, and two just left.

If you had a gun, you could easily defend yourself from the remaining 11 threats.

I'd move.

AWESOME response to a dumb answer....I love it....Dennis
and you wonder why the world thinks of you the way they do.i'm officially done with this forum.

West Virginia has 3 family names.... I moved and changed my name.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare