cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stainless steel screws

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to get a bunch of square drive stainless steel screws to have on hand for my Lance 992 camper. I would like enough variety to be able to replace any screw that I find needs to be replaced.

Do any of you have a good idea on size and length of screws I would need? My local hardware stores don't carry the square head screws so I'll have to order from amazon and I would like to avoid pulling random screws out to figure it out.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
26 REPLIES 26

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
I've become a fan of torx ("star head") screws myself. ...

The biggest problem I have with screws other than Philips & Standard....is finding a convenient screwdriver to make them work!

That said... Last year I built a huge deck on my house. Not a single nail in it. I used stainless steel Torx head screws for everything.

A number of years ago I did a similar project where I used Philips head screws. Using the same Dewalt power drill to install them, I ended up with tendonitis in my right hand. Philips screws are designed to slip, so to counter it is necessary to put force on them - all while pulling the trigger on a drill - and that hurt my wrist.. The Torx head screws on the deck, no such problem, for what was a lot more 'screwing around' than the other project.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks I missed that.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure those aren't gold screws at $45 each?

The link says $45 per bag. 250 per bag that is $0.18 18cents each.
The washer head screws with neoprene washers are available at home depot and lowes but I don't know if the have them in panhead. they are used all the time on steel buildings and cargo trailers.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here you go, I carry these with me just in case. They do not come with the nifty case, but in individual zip lock bags. I put them in a cheap plastic fishing lure case.

SS #8 Square Drive Pan Head Screws
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bb_94401 wrote:
I replaced them with stainless steel, #9, pan head, torx screws, where the head was painted white. They also had neoprene seals fused to the stainless steel washer. Purchase both 1" and 1.5" versions from Best Materials online. Torx heads are way easier to install and remove than the robertson screw tapered square recess.
Are you sure those aren't gold screws at $45 each? :h
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my humble opinion, any drive is better than Reed and Prince for fastening.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
When I reattached the trim on the right side of my TC after rebuilding the right rear due to a leaky window, I discarded all the robertson screws.

I replaced them with stainless steel, #9, pan head, torx screws, where the head was painted white. They also had neoprene seals fused to the stainless steel washer. Purchase both 1" and 1.5" versions from Best Materials online. Torx heads are way easier to install and remove than the robertson screw tapered square recess.

Went with #9 for a tighter fit, in the existing holes, where #8 screws were previously used. The seals make for a more water tight connection than the existing original pan heads, especially those screws that were not aligned well when the manufacturer installed them.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with #8 1 inch long.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I've become a fan of torx ("star head") screws myself. I hate Phillips like everyone else who actually uses them and other types and sees the difference. Torx really bite and the bit stays put.
Square head is nice too. Flat head and Phillips are both antique junk that only belong on a correct, accurate restoration of something old.

And unless max strength is an issue, stainless is a great idea for absolutely ALL hardware. The slight extra up-front cost is always worth it later when you need to take something apart!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
As someone who uses lots of screws everyday, for a living, and has for 38 years. I don't even know why Phillips are still in production.
There are so many better drives out there, square being one of the best. They are used in production because they are less likely to strip or fall off a tip. Your mileage may vary.

X2
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
I have a question, why SST? If you say steel ones rust, there is another issue water intrusion, which should be addressed.
Because for me, 90% of our camping is at the beach and the salt eats at everything inside and out. I have a complete selection (probably 20lb. worth) of SS screws, nuts, washers, Nylocks, etc., including a separate bag of 3/4 sheet metal SS painted satin black to replace those from the factory that rust through the paint. ANYTHING that gets removed for any reason is replaced with SS. It's turned into a fetish..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Square drive screws are the best way to go. You can easily put them in very tight and also get them back out again. Phillips head screws tend to strip. A bit of history, Henry Ford apparently wanted to use the square drive screws for his Model T but did not want to pay the patent holder. Robertson would not give them away free to Ford. So Ford came up with the Phillips head - a plague on all builders.

As for stainless and strength, I have a 38 foot 54 year old 38 foot wooden sailboat. Over the years I have used many hundreds of stainless screws from small #6 to # 14. They get tightened very tight and do not break.

As for corrosion - most sailboats have many SS screws in aluminum masts and do not have problems.

For any screw application if a store does not have square socket screws I go elsewhere - whether SS or normal household mild metal.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite place for fasteners, especially stainless, is Albany County Fasteners. Persoanlly, I like Torx, in Pan, Truss or Button head. Sheet metal screws work well in wood also.

If you order $35, it is free shipping and that is a huge amount of fasteners.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
Bolt Depot has everything you want and a lot more.

As a DYI type I only order in quantities of 100 and often SS. And for screws it's square head only as they don't strip out like phillips.
Looks like a great source 🙂
https://www.boltdepot.com/Sheet_metal_screws_Square_drive_pan_head_Stainless_steel_18-8_8.aspx