cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sticky slides

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
The last couple of Jaycos have had slides that really seem to stay stuck to the trailer body for a longer time then they should, IMO. I mean when I open or close the slides after they have sat for a week or a couple months the slide will slow and finally pop off the trailer body when opening.
What do you use to stop the rubber from adhering to the trailer??

I've heard everything from furniture polish to WD40 what works best and is safe to use?
TIA

Tom
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.
9 REPLIES 9

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
303 or even silicone spray. WD-40 and many other oils are likely to damage it.
WD 40 is not an oil. It uses a petroleum based solvent as a carrier for the lubricant, which is basically wax. The carrier flashes off (dries) very quickly, leaving a very thin film of wax. This is how it displaces water and protects metal from rusting. In fact, that is how it got it's name. The chemists working on it tried many different conbinations. WD 40 = Water displacement formula #40.

It has since found many uses, Quite a few rubber products recommend it's use when installing rubber items that have a tight fit and need lubricant during the install. I have seen this on motorcycle/atv grips and exhaust hangers for sure. I have used it on expensive automobiles as a lubricant to remove factory installed decals when debadging them. The petroleum flashes off so quick, that no harm is done.

Like many items available, some things just get dissed on forums for no good reason.... One thing is for sure. WD 40 has been around for years, and isn't going away.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
303 or even silicone spray. WD-40 and many other oils are likely to damage it.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

kellem
Explorer
Explorer

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I am suprised that you are having this issue where you live. I would think it would be more of a hot weather issue.
Are you sure it is the rubber sticking? could it possibly be another substancw such as tree sap etc? Or are the seals deteriorating? I had this issue once here in AZ.

If it is in fact the rubber and it is in good shape, WD 40 should do the trick. The solvent(carrier) will evaporate so quick that the rubber won't notice it. WD 40 is in fact recommended by many products made of rubber that need to be lubricated to install them. motorcycle/Atv grips come to mind. If this bothers you, just spray it on the non seal contact surface. When dry, just the wax based lubricant will remain.
Cheap, easy and everyone has a can or two kicking around.

We spend the winters in Florida to LV to AZ so we have very little time in cold environments.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I am suprised that you are having this issue where you live. I would think it would be more of a hot weather issue.
Are you sure it is the rubber sticking? could it possibly be another substancw such as tree sap etc? Or are the seals deteriorating? I had this issue once here in AZ.

If it is in fact the rubber and it is in good shape, WD 40 should do the trick. The solvent(carrier) will evaporate so quick that the rubber won't notice it. WD 40 is in fact recommended by many products made of rubber that need to be lubricated to install them. motorcycle/Atv grips come to mind. If this bothers you, just spray it on the non seal contact surface. When dry, just the wax based lubricant will remain.
Cheap, easy and everyone has a can or two kicking around.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
303 spray bomb. Never had a seal stick.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Do not put any oil based product on your rubber slide seals, it can destroy your seals. As DRSmart I also use 303 it works great. Spray silicone will also work.
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
I've read that petroleum based products such as oil can damage natural rubber. I use 303 UV protectant. There are many products available that are made for treating RV slide out rubber seals. Silicone based products have been recommended. Baby powder can also be used as it prevents sticking and doesn't attract dust or wind blown grit.
2014Dodge 3500, 2WD, 6.7 Cummins
Crew cab SB Aisin trans, Firestone Air Bags
Line-X, Pullrite 16K Superglide
2020 Jayco North Point 315RLTS

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything that has oil in it should remedy your concern.