cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tesla Cybertuck - Can we take another thread?

The Tesla Cybertruck - It's really a Love / Hate thing isn't it?

I'm content with my Duramax. I'll leave it at that....

I came across a news article just now, thought I'd share it here for all you guys to digest! :B:B

The title says video, but I see no such thing in the article, only a bunch of links to stuff. Where's the video me wonders?

Cybertruck Article
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
65 REPLIES 65

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No Cybertruck in 2022? 2022 removed from Cybertruck order page.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BenK wrote:
Didn't want to start another thread and chose this one to post...

From the very early news of how Tusk was changing the way automotive is done...always wondered and posted way back on the semi thread : How will Tusk deal with a major recall without an extensive dealer network ?

Here is one of the largest to date that know of for Tusk :

Tesla to recall 475,000 cars in the US
BBC News wrote:
Tesla is to recall more than 475,000 cars in the US, according to documents filed with the US safety regulator.

The electric vehicle firm announced it was recalling 356,309 vehicles because of potential rear-view camera issues affecting 2017-2020 Model 3 Teslas.

A further 119,009 Model S vehicles will also be recalled because of potential problems with the front trunk, or boot.

The total recall figure is almost equivalent to the 500,000 cars Tesla delivered last year, Reuters reports.

The BBC has approached Tesla for comment.

Snip...

Or did I miss that Tusk has built an extensive network of service shops/etc ?

Knew Tusk depended on his 'push' over WiFi system for software updated/fixes/etc, but this recall required hands on with hardware to be installed.

I suspect a lot of the recalls will be handled by the road rangers. Kinda cool. They come to your house or work. You donโ€™t even need to be there. They just do their thing and leave. They also do tire rotates, brakes, or anything else you want. Beats the heck out of having to bring it to a service centre. We have a few rangers that service our area. Service centre is 440 kilometres away so most of us out here just use the rangers. They use highly modified model Sโ€™โ€™s with Joey beds etc. No seats except the drivers. Pretty slick.

Cheers.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't want to start another thread and chose this one to post...

From the very early news of how Tusk was changing the way automotive is done...always wondered and posted way back on the semi thread : How will Tusk deal with a major recall without an extensive dealer network ?

Here is one of the largest to date that know of for Tusk :

Tesla to recall 475,000 cars in the US
BBC News wrote:
Tesla is to recall more than 475,000 cars in the US, according to documents filed with the US safety regulator.

The electric vehicle firm announced it was recalling 356,309 vehicles because of potential rear-view camera issues affecting 2017-2020 Model 3 Teslas.

A further 119,009 Model S vehicles will also be recalled because of potential problems with the front trunk, or boot.

The total recall figure is almost equivalent to the 500,000 cars Tesla delivered last year, Reuters reports.

The BBC has approached Tesla for comment.

Snip...

Or did I miss that Tusk has built an extensive network of service shops/etc ?

Knew Tusk depended on his 'push' over WiFi system for software updated/fixes/etc, but this recall required hands on with hardware to be installed.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I read a thought provoking jab at EVs this morning, something I never considered. Not trying to stir anything up, but out of lack of knowledge, it makes me wonder.

Let's suppose ICE vehicles are gone and it's all EV.
I'm sure we have all been in a situation where there is a major issue on the road, a bad wreck, a weather problem, whatever. The highway is closed for many hours while they address the situation, perhaps even overnight or longer. And its January. You and everyone else is sitting there trying to stay warm and you have a 3 mile lineup of EVs with dead batteries....
How good are the heaters in an EV, and how much power do they draw?
How do you rescue hundreds of motorists and clear a highway full of dead battery vehicles?

Maybe the solution is simple and I don't see it...

I carry some candles and sleeping bag in winter.
Also dress up warm enough not to freeze.
Most smart people living in the boonies do the same here.
As they say be prepared for the worst is just common sense.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

That's right--only about 40 million people.

So that's 12% of the population. As I said, not many.

That's more than the entire population of Canada! :B:B

Everything is relative! :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

pianotuna wrote:

That's more than the entire population of Canada! :B:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
17% of the US population lives in either apartments or condos, making the whole "charge at home" thing a little tougher.

So, who will pay for an appropriate number of charging stations at these locations when (and if) the demand for EV's skyrockets?

If they live north of 43 they may have electric services already. We have to be able to plug in block heaters.

If you're speaking of the 43rd parallel, not a lot of the US population currently lives north of it, and I really doubt that we'll ever see a strong migration to that area :C

Also, block heaters have been around a long, long time, and aren't they just 110 or 120v? (asked the Florida boy).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
17% of the US population lives in either apartments or condos, making the whole "charge at home" thing a little tougher.

So, who will pay for an appropriate number of charging stations at these locations when (and if) the demand for EV's skyrockets?

If they live north of 43 they may have electric services already. We have to be able to plug in block heaters.

If you're speaking of the 43rd parallel, not a lot of the US population currently lives north of it, and I really doubt that we'll ever see a strong migration to that area :C

Also, block heaters have been around a long, long time, and aren't they just 110 or 120v? (asked the Florida boy).

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting run down EV's going shouldn't be a big problem with a little preparation. All you need is to have a small generator or portable battery pack to get the electronics awake in the event that the batteries are totally run down. In the few minutes that it takes to get them up rig install the towing eye and lash the EV to a tow truck or other handy vehicle with adequate charge/fuel and tow it away. If the towing vehicle has enough extra towing juice use regen to in the stranded EV to quickly charge it up enough to make it independent.

While it is not recommended I have seen several tests where people did just that and it worked well.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:

120 is fine for those with a daily commute up to about 80 or 90 kilometres. We did that for years with our first EV. We used the soffit plug meant for Christmas lights. And I suppose one could always pop into a DC fast charger if the.need arose. Roughly half of people with EVโ€™s just use the included charge cord and a 120 volt plug. At least in our neighbourhood. The other half had stove plugs installed in their garage or driveway.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I'm sure we have all been in a situation where there is a major issue on the road, a bad wreck, a weather problem, whatever. The highway is closed for many hours while they address the situation, perhaps even overnight or longer. And its January. You and everyone else is sitting there trying to stay warm and you have a 3 mile lineup of EVs with dead batteries....
How do you rescue hundreds of motorists and clear a highway full of dead battery vehicles?

Hi Bob,

They use heat pumps. I suspect the EV would fare far better than the ICE in such a context. Heat seaters are resistance based but draw little energy. Mine draw about 50 watts.

It would be interesting to know how B.C. solved the issues of all the ice cars that were trapped by mud slides before and behind them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Regards, Don

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I read a thought provoking jab at EVs this morning, something I never considered. Not trying to stir anything up, but out of lack of knowledge, it makes me wonder.

Maybe the solution is simple and I don't see it...
More likely to run out of fuel idling your ICE vehicle.

With an EV the idle draw to run the computer is nothing in comparison. EV might even be more comfortable in extreme conditions as the systems do not rely on a minimum rpm for cooling or minimum engine energy for heat.

Either way there will always be someone very low on fuel or out with a nearly depleted battery. Battery might be more likely to be full due to top off daily vs weekly when the tank is low.

EV will not create any CO issues.