Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Monitors, worth it?

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use tire pressure monitors?

If so, did you like them? Do they work?

Which brands did you like or not like if you use them?

Thanks
38 REPLIES 38

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
Great info all, thanks. I will be getting one here as soon as I can.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go without a TPMS.

But a TPMS may not warn you in time to prevent significant damage due to a tire separation.

I have a small utility trailer with the spare mounted inside the trailer. If the trailer is loaded it is difficult test the tire pressure. So I have a TPMS sensor on my spare. While the trailer was in storage I would about every two weeks fire up the TPMS monitor and check the tire pressures. They have always been good.

A couple days ago I had the back door on the utility trailer open and I found this on the spare. Note the TPMS showed the tire was at the 50 psi as all the other times I checked the pressures.

Here is what I found.

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
So can these tire valve sensors be installed on regular valves or should I have them replaced with metal valves to withstand the stress of a rotating tire with that extra weight on the valve?

Thanks
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Does anyone make aftermarket TPMS with internal sensor stems like OEM?

Yes, STS has an internal monitoring system.

I went with the non flow through caps. I can replace the batteries myself every couple of years.

On the internal monitors, I read that to change the battery you need to remove the monitors, send them back to the factory and maybe a week of two later you get them back. Now you have to reinstall them inside the tires.

Unless you can leave your TT on blocks for the two weeks without tires, you'll have to remove and demount the tires twice.

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
They pay for themselves if they prevent just one blowout. Mine went off when two tires separated (Stock tires on 5th wheel and only 6 months old) and rubbed on to each other. Pressure was fine when we left the day before. TST alarm went off and allowed me to get off freeway before the tires blew and defintately would have damaged the fenders and underside of the RV. YES, they are worth every penny!

I agree 100%. I have the TST 507 TPMS with the non-flow-through caps.

I like them for several reasons:

1. It's a time saver. Not having to check the tire pressures every morning. Each time you put a gauge on, you lose a little bit of air. Before you know it, you need to fill the tires. Last year I put 16,000 miles on the TT. On the second day out, I added about 5 psi to each tire to get them up to the recommended cold tire pressure. After that, didn't have to add/or take out any air.

2. I do a visual inspection of the tires as I do a final walk around the TT before getting in the SUV and starting off. I verify that the antenna is down, the stabilizer jacks are up, the entrance steps retracted and my storage compartment doors are locked and secured, the hitch secure, safety chains and emergency brake cable secured.

3. It's interesting watching the tire pressures fluctuate during the day. After first starting off in the morning with the tires cold and then a slight increase in pressure as the tires get warmer. And then seeing the tires on the sunny side of the trailer are 1 to 2 psi higher than on the shady side.

4. Finally, and probably the most important, peace of mind not worrying when I'm going to pickup a nail or have a sudden delamination that could do damage to the TT.

DwayneN
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner, the one company I have found that has an internal system is Dill Air Control Products: http://dillaircontrols.com/dill/category/products/tpms/

My wife and I going to Alaska this summer and I want to add a TPMS to the RV trailer before we go. The air stems on my Lance wheels already stick out farther than I would like so do not want to install a sensor to the end of them. I can see us doing some boondocking and don't want to have the sensor catch of a piece of brush and get torn off. I like that the Dill system is internal for that reason. I see that tirerack.com carries the Dill product:
http://www.tirerack.com/tpms/category.jsp?category=Aftermarket+Systems

What I haven't resolved yet is what diameter of valve stem fits my Lance. I need to check with Lance then with Tirerack to make sure I get the right sensors. I just checked with Discount Tire and if they can mount the sensor without taking the tire completely off it would only cost $10/tire to install and balance. If they have to remove the tires it would be $16 each. Reasonable cost to install and then all I would have to do is set up the monitor.

Anyone on here have any experience with the Dill TPMS system?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
several years ago myself and two other friends bought TPMS and twice in the last year they have caught a nail leak that was fast enough that it would have gone flat between rest stops, but slow enough to not notice with a casual look.

IMHO it will help prevent a large number of catastrophic tire failures due to a slow leak that you don't catch between rest stop.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the 507 Flow Thrus from STS and they work great. We went on a 7600 mile trip out West and wanted to be able to not only monitor air pressure but wheel bearing temperature. Some of the roads are desolate, we were on this one road for 3+ hours and only saw 2 other vehicles the whole time and there was no shoulder to pull over if there was trouble. This road ran thru BLM lands.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
RokNDmax wrote:
Cliff notes on differences between flow-thru and non flow-thru ?

TIA

I like the flow through design so I don't have to remove the unit to top off tires.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

RokNDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Cliff notes on differences between flow-thru and non flow-thru ?

TIA

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to thank you all for the info and suggestions!

I bought a used lq horse trailer late fall and just got done ordering five tires for it and tires for the used diesel needed to pull it, and other related items. When my pocket book is done recovering from the shock from the extra activity, I will invest in one.

Again, thank you.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
guidry wrote:
They pay for themselves if they prevent just one blowout. Mine went off when two tires separated (Stock tires on 5th wheel and only 6 months old) and rubbed on to each other. Pressure was fine when we left the day before. TST alarm went off and allowed me to get off freeway before the tires blew and defintately would have damaged the fenders and underside of the RV. YES, they are worth every penny!

I AGREE and they have saved me MAJOR $$$$ twice so far when I had tire failures. Was able to pull over before things exploded and did major damage to trailer wheel area, etc.

Like insurance, it's only needed when needed and without it is fool hardy IMO.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Like chicken soup they can not hurt.

However, if they give the same false readings that the ones on my TV do, I would probably chuck them.

I have been driving since the 1960's and never had them until they came standard on my last two vehicles. Still it is always handy to know when a tire looses pressure.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Does anyone make aftermarket TPMS with internal sensor stems like OEM?