cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing capacity of Mazda CX-9?

Smithlisam15
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 AWD. I am looking into buying an ultra light travel trailer weighing 2700 lbs. it's a Starcraft launch 17b. The dealer is saying that my car can pull 3500lbs, not including the weight of the loaded car, and that it has its own braking system and is perfectly safe to toe this trailer. I'd like to get a few more opinions, thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is about 2,000 lbs. My Santa Fe came with a transmission cooler, and heavy duty radiator, ready for towing - rated at 3500 lbs., like your Mazda. Not sure if yours has the tow package or not. I hardly notice the trailer behind me when towing, it's been the best tow vehicle I've had, and that includes a Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. I usually camp alone though, so I don't have the extra weight of other passengers and their gear. My trailer doesn't have any water tanks either, so I don't have that to consider. You may be pushing it when fully loaded. It's no fun towing if the vehicle isn't up to the task, like I experienced with my Grand Cherokee.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
SilverEscape wrote:
A trailer that lists a 2700 dry weight on in th brochure is likely to weight 2900-3000 when it arrives. Load it and you're at 3700 packing lightly and without carrying water. Add a tongue weight of 480 and you're at 4100...

I think this is a bit inaccurate; the hitch (tongue) weight is included in the 2700 lb dry weight already.

Oops! Yes! Must have been tired while typing. Thanks for the correction. I will edit. ๐Ÿ™‚

I do think it will likely to be at least 3700 loaded and a hitch of at least 480. Just the total won't be 4100 because you don't add the hitch to the total weight! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
SilverEscape wrote:
A trailer that lists a 2700 dry weight on in th brochure is likely to weight 2900-3000 when it arrives. Load it and you're at 3700 packing lightly and without carrying water. Add a tongue weight of 480 and you're at 4100...

I think this is a bit inaccurate; the hitch (tongue) weight is included in the 2700 lb dry weight already.

That said, I cannot stress enough: do not buy that trailer! A dry hitch weight of 380 lbs does not include your LP tank and probably not your battery, either. And where is the fresh water tank? Where is the water heater? Water weighs 8.3 lbs per gallon, so if the tanks are in front they will add more weight. Realistically your hitch weight when ready for camping will be at least 450 lbs, possibly as high as 600 lbs!

I once had a TT with a 385 lb listed hitch weight. Front water tank. My SUV had a 600 lb hitch weight limit. I used an Equal-i-zer anti-sway hitch. I bent a rear spring on the SUV!

Your Mazda would do well with a Scamp, sold factory direct from Backus MN. Or a Taylor Coach trailer, made in Ontario. Or a Chalet or Aliner hard-sided popup (see my picture). Or an Escape, factory direct from Chilliwack BC. There are other options, too. But I guarantee you, that Starcraft (nice as it is) could damage your Mazda's rear suspension, or possibly rip the hitch receiver off its mounts and send the TT careening head-on into traffic. The only way I would buy that TT is if I were prepared to spend an extra $2000-$3000 having the receiver and suspension modified... assuming it is possible to do so!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
No slide 10ft pups have tongue weight less than 350lbs
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
Don't do it. That CX-9 is not a real tow vehicle and a small pop-up is really your only safe choice.

I'm very confused about what the OP means when she says "it has it's own braking system" but mentions nothing about a brake controller.

Pop ups often have a heavier tongue weight.. Its a matter of tongue weight with that tow veicle..

Look at the weight of TW on the pop ups..

I stated this before. Its a well known fact that the tenters of that size are front heavy..

Op is better off with a hard side and WD hitch...

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=157&Image=5042&Tab=4
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it. That CX-9 is not a real tow vehicle and a small pop-up is really your only safe choice.

I'm very confused about what the OP means when she says "it has it's own braking system" but mentions nothing about a brake controller.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
10 foot popups only.

Or:

Trade the car for a half ton burb.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've got a Honda Pilot, rated at 4500lbs, pretty similar sized vehicles. Our popup is 2000lbs dry, and by the time we get loaded up, it probably is pushing it's max weigh of 3000lbs.

I would not want to pull anything heavier than what we are now. It handles it, but it is pushing it.

I would really consider going to a pop-up. You will have much more room inside, especially when you have the kids along, and I thing you will be much more comfortable pulling a popup. There will be a lot less wind drag.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
The tongue weight is NEVER what they advertise. It must be 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight to tow safely. People usually say a minimum of 12-13 is better.

Your CX-9 manual says its limited to 50 square feet of frontal area of you have the towing package. That's the total area you are driving into the wind with. You add a travel trailer behind your vehicle and you are going to exceed that by far. You are likely limited to a pop up.

Even the R-pods will have you exceeding your frontal area limit. Pulling more than r commended puts a lot of work on your engine. You'll run out of gas quicke, your engine will rev higher and potentially overhear, you'll have to drive slower to keep your RPMs down. It won't be fun.

I towed a 3000 pound loaded pop-up with a vehicle with a 3500# tow limit for 3 years and once we upgraded to a vehicle with a 5000 pound capacity, I realized how our last towing experience hadn't been great.

A trailer that lists a 2700 dry weight on in th brochure is likely to weight 2900-3000 when it arrives. Load it and you're at 3700 without carrying water. And that will have a tongue weight of at least 480. You're then over your towing capacity and quite easily could be over payload over rear axle weight rating.

You need to be looking at something that is around 2000 pounds dry (and I mean yellow sticker trailer weight, not brochure weight). Then once loaded and adding the tongue, you'll likely be okay.
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Bunk model...

Large bunks .. 12 and 14 year old need room..

IMO bath if just used for toiley. I would not shower in it. I would use the camp facility's...

244 lb tongue..

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=228&ShowParent=1&ModelID=1391#Main
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

Smithlisam15
Explorer
Explorer
It's mostly just myself camping it in and sometimes my two kids,12 and 14...

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
You should back out of that deal and go look at the r pods..

Who is camping in this trailer?

Just remember the r pods are wet bath models..

Here is a unit. 225 tongue..2205 dry 3225 GVW.. 1020 lb cargo capacity...

Best of all and what is great about the i pods is 36 gallon tanks all around

fresh, grey and black.. Go dry camping and it will be a blessing over the 9 gallon black tanks on thos others..

And your car will be so gratefull...

r pod 171..............................................................................................
Mike L ... N.J.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
What brand does the dealer sell?

If star craft then you should be looking at the AR one. Same trailer but aluminum sides. lighter. TW is only 305

Thats a whopping 75 lbs less off the rear of that car.

http://www.starcraftrv.com/light-weight/ar-one/floorplans/17rd/#floorplan-main
Mike L ... N.J.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Smithlisam15 wrote:
Lawrosa, the links you sent are the same weight as the one I'm interested in buying... Are there differences? That make them safer to tow?

The tongue weight on that trailer is 380.. too heavy. thats 380 dry..

Add cargo, propane and battery and it will well be over 400..

Is your hitch a WD hitch? Read the label. whats it say?

The trailers I listed are lighter tongue weight. you need to start low..
Mike L ... N.J.