cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer sway

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
Can trailer tires cause trailer sway? I have a 2015 jayco 26bh and I am sure the hitch is setup correctly, but I am getting more sway than I would like. When a semi or a truck pass by it really pulls the trailer. This is my first trip with the new truck, which is way better than my last one. But I still get a little bit more sway than I'd like. I'm thinking that the tires are original on the camper and the side walls are not stiff enough to hold up to being pushed around. That's my working theory anyway. The trailer is a 2015 jayco 26bh with original tires, towing with a 2020 f150 supercrew 4x4 5.0 3.55 rear end. I know the tires are due for replacement anyway but the tread looks great so I thought we would get through this year with them. We weren't sure if we would get any camping done this year at all but it looks like we have a few trips planned. This is the 2nd year we have owned the camper. Also the tires are power king st205/75r15 towmax str load range c. I am looking at the Goodyear endurance trailer tires as I like the specs and reviews on those. The hitch I'm using is a Eaz-Lift Recurve R3 with the sway control incorporated into the hith, my other thought is to add a sway control bar to the hitch but the reviews on this hitch are good and people seem to like it

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end
29 REPLIES 29

wclement1248
Explorer
Explorer
I had sway problems with my F250/TT with sway bars. i tried turning off the sway control function in the truck. apparently sway bars and sway control work against each other. Might work for you

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
jotityra wrote:
cavie wrote:
Just add a sway bar to your hitch. Chain hung bars do not provide sway control.

This style of hitch does not have chains, the sway control is like a brake shoe around the place where the bars go into the hitch.

The ReCurve R3 hitch uses a brake shoe type system for sway control. The pictured hitch is a ReCurve R6 which uses spring loaded bearings.

Turn the hitch over and check the leaf springs under each bearing. If one or more springs are broken, contact Camco info@camco.net for a replacement (it may be free under warranty).

Click For Full-Size Image.

If the springs are not broken, did you engage the sway control cams?
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Tire pressure critical! I run 110lbs. with my 16in rims and "G" tires! The correct tire pressure is located on the side of the tire.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jotityra wrote:

This style of hitch does not have chains, the sway control is like a brake shoe around the place where the bars go into the hitch.

The first picture looked like it had chains hanging down but connected to nothing.

So did you weigh the rig? When you talk about water full and where you store stuff...that's just a wild guess if you have the weight distributed correctly. Swing by a CAT scale and see what you really have going on is a good first step.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Tire pressures all around definitely affect sway. Trailer tires, truck rear tires, truck front tires, all must be inflated enough to carry the load. If any pair is under inflated, you will get "directional instability."

Probably the most important are the truck's rear tires. Second most important are trailer tires.

Pickup trucks empty are light in the back. Fully loaded, they are heavy in the back, and the tire pressures have to be adjusted to compensate. If you are attempting to tow a heavy trailer with the same rear tire pressures you run normally when empty, you all but guarantee sway.

The importance of tire pressures was brought home to me years ago when some friends and I went out to get some firewood in his 15 passenger van. We loaded up about half a van full, and set out for home. I was driving, and I needed every inch of the two lane highway, it was wandering so badly. I asked the owner what pressures he was running, and he didn't know. In the years he'd owned the van, he had NEVER checked the tire pressures.

We stopped at the first gas station I saw, and I discovered his tires were all in the low 20s. They were all way overloaded even when the van was empty, let alone loaded with firewood. Pumped 'em all up where they should have been, and the rest of the way home was perfectly stable. The difference was impressive to say the least.

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
I would reverify you have your hitch setup correctly, since you have switched tow vehicles.

I spent a good day measuring and towing and repositioning the height and I'm confident it is setup good. It looks good in the photo I think. I just don't remember my old rig, in 2004, giving me as much sway. It seemed to tow pretty straight. From what I remember anyway.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
I'll add my 2 cents. You need new tires anyway, so going to a d would be good. Thats a heavy TT, max weight like 7000 lbs. Whats your truck rated to pull? Next i would air up my truck tires, and the ones on the TT. Also make sure you have more weight in the front of the TT wheels. So shift what you carry forward. See where your water tank is, might have to travel with it empty. Vut evwn woth tose things, you will feel it move when passed etc. Just the nature of towing something that big. Also i agree with the checking on a good sway bar.

Truck is rated to tow 9100lbs. The fresh water is in front of the wheels and goes the full width of the camper. I did have some black and gray in the tanks from not emptying after sanitizing the lines and flushing from last season. That may have some to do with it. Maybe sloshing around? I usually carry 1/3 or less fresh water for flushing the toilet and washing on the road. We use our bathroom at rest areas. I carry all of the leveling boards and most equipment in the front storage area. I think I am doing all that has been suggested by everyone which is bringing me to the tires.

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Have you weighed the rig to see what the hitch weight is?

Most common issue causing sway is too little hitch weight.

If you are on "C" rated tires now, I would not move up to "G" rated. That's way too big of a jump. It would be like the trailer ridding on rocks.

There will always be some sway when a semi passes. If it's more than you are comfortable with, I would check into a sway bar.

PS: I'm not seeing the torsion bars on your picture. I assume you do use them when actually traveling?

The bars go up and not down.like this.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If you inspect your tires after each stop then that isn't your problem; however, you should immediately get rid of those original tires. Manufacturers put the lowest bidder's (ie: cheapest) tires they can get away with. G rated (as suggested) would be my recommendation. As for the sway, sway control set-ups help after sway starts. If you really want to eliminate sway then upgrade your tow vehicle to one that is built for towing and not daily driver. When I went from a 1/2 ton to a one ton there was immediate comfort in towing and no more white knuckles every time I got passed by a big rig.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add my 2 cents. You need new tires anyway, so going to a d would be good. Thats a heavy TT, max weight like 7000 lbs. Whats your truck rated to pull? Next i would air up my truck tires, and the ones on the TT. Also make sure you have more weight in the front of the TT wheels. So shift what you carry forward. See where your water tank is, might have to travel with it empty. Vut evwn woth tose things, you will feel it move when passed etc. Just the nature of towing something that big. Also i agree with the checking on a good sway bar.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would reverify you have your hitch setup correctly, since you have switched tow vehicles.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you weighed the rig to see what the hitch weight is?

Most common issue causing sway is too little hitch weight.

If you are on "C" rated tires now, I would not move up to "G" rated. That's way too big of a jump. It would be like the trailer ridding on rocks.

There will always be some sway when a semi passes. If it's more than you are comfortable with, I would check into a sway bar.

PS: I'm not seeing the torsion bars on your picture. I assume you do use them when actually traveling?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
jotityra wrote:
Can trailer tires cause trailer sway? I have a 2015 jayco 26bh and I am sure the hitch is setup correctly, but I am getting more sway than I would like. When a semi or a truck pass by it really pulls the trailer. This is my first trip with the new truck, which is way better than my last one. But I still get a little bit more sway than I'd like. I'm thinking that the tires are original on the camper and the side walls are not stiff enough to hold up to being pushed around. That's my working theory anyway. The trailer is a 2015 jayco 26bh with original tires, towing with a 2020 f150 supercrew 4x4 5.0 3.55 rear end. I know the tires are due for replacement anyway but the tread looks great so I thought we would get through this year with them. We weren't sure if we would get any camping done this year at all but it looks like we have a few trips planned. This is the 2nd year we have owned the camper. Also the tires are power king st205/75r15 towmax str load range c. I am looking at the Goodyear endurance trailer tires as I like the specs and reviews on those. The hitch I'm using is a Eaz-Lift Recurve R3 with the sway control incorporated into the hith, my other thought is to add a sway control bar to the hitch but the reviews on this hitch are good and people seem to like it.

I would start with switching to a 16" rim if it will fit and "G" rated tires. I have had good luck with the Good Year tires. Stay away from any off brand Chinese brand tires. You could also add 1 sway control bar and if needed add a second sway control bar.