cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer wheel balancing question.

DJK555
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me 2009 Komfort TT, 24', towed by a '13 F150 Ecoboost. The trailer has original tires mounted on factory upgrade aluminum wheels. I have put on approx. 3500KM. During the last trip I started getting a vibration starting at 80 KPH and continuing to 100 KPH. It noticeably smooths out after 100. This seems to be a wheel balance issue. To narrow it down I unhitched the trailer and drove the truck without any other changes. Vibration was gone. So...it seems like it is the trailer. I understand that there are varying opinions on trailer tire balancing. Mine have not been balanced. My questions are; Can a tire vibration on a trailer be felt in the tow vehicle?, and Does anyone have experience with the Dyna Beads product? Thanks in advance.
David
38 REPLIES 38

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
By the way , car and truck tires are mounted to fixed spindles also and any vibrations wear on suspension components be it spring bushings, ball joints, shocks or anything else on vehicle or trailer. May be wise to educate yourself before trying to correct others. Vibrations are not your friends.

Nice try, but you have zero facts to back up and show that not balancing TT causes excessive wear on suspension components. While it might sound good the facts are just not there and if I have to explain why an out of balance tire on a steer axle of a manned vehicle is not good then I'm not sure we discuss much of anything relative to this topic.

I won't even go into the FACT that all the balancing in the world of a tire/wheel combo on a trailer is futile since all AFAIK trailers unlike all manned vehicles are NOT HUB CENTERED and you will be left to the hit miss of the randon centering of a TT tire by the lugs on a TT (i.e. the often referred to "lug centric" system).

BTW IMO I have plenty of knowledge/background/experience here also PLUS the all important 1/2 century of hands on experience in the school of hard knocks.

As I said if it makes you feel better by all means spend your hard earned $$$ and time balancing your trailer tires. As enthusiasts we have wasted more time and energy plenty of whimsies.:p

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

richardgarneau
Explorer
Explorer
answer I got from tredit tires : The other part about balancing is that these wheels are lug-centric and not hub-centric. That is, the wheel is centered and balanced based off the torque of the lugs on the axle, unlike automotive where it is centered by the hub bore and held in the middle. This allows for changes in balances and makes it difficult to zero in on a balance. Also, many other styles of trailers are now going to aluminum wheels, so there are landscape trailers, utility trailers, cargo trailers, etc. . . that consistently have different loads that will cause wear and tear on tires that a balance isnโ€™t going to change. Many assume balancing will even out any vibrations, but again most of these problems stem from uneven loads.
Jayco Whitehawk 24RBS 2014
Ford F150 XLT 2014 3.5 Eco max tow package

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tire shop looked at me funny. They do not usually balance TT tires. It was only a few bucks more so why not.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DJK555
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
If the vibration is so bad you can feel it, I would be carefully examining those tires for broken belts, slipped belts, or blisters. Do it before you tow again.

Thanks for this and all of the responses. Based on the comments I'm starting to think that I do indeed have a tire structure problem rather than a balance issue. I stated in my first post that the tires were original (2009). Having thought about it I don't know that this is true but they are at least 5 years old.

I'm going to take them off and drop them at the local tire dealer for inspection.

David

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I once bought 4 new tire/wheel assemblies for my snowmobile trailer. Even after balancing, the square tires were so bad that they shook the truck. I returned them and bought a different brand of China bombs (only Chinese tires in that size) and that solved the problem.

Finally we have one other person on this forum that understands that trailer hubs and drums are not balanced. Balancing only the tire and wheel is only a feel good exercise, and you may still have a balance issue. I balance the assemblies and have been doing that for many years.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If the vibration is so bad you can feel it, I would be carefully examining those tires for broken belts, slipped belts, or blisters. Do it before you tow again.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
I took the wheels/tires off our recently purchased trailer to have them balanced and metal valve stems installed. The guy was surprised I wanted trailer tires balanced. I hope he convinced himself after seeing how many weights he had to install to get them balanced.
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
when you buy new tyres for a car or truck, mounting and balancing is usually included in the price.
why not for trailers?, especially since tt tyres will get lots of high speed use.
the next time I need new tyres, i'll have them balanced, in the mean time i'll have the present ones done before our next trip
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
I have had very good results with the Dyna Beads I always use them in my trailer tires.

I have had zero tire related issues.

Why not put them in they are very cheap.

Not sure the issue the OP is having is caused by out of balance tires but you never know.

Ok there is my two cents.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I have never understood why some do not balance trailer tires. Do you feel a tire out of balance on your car or truck? Why would you want your trailer to take the same beating from out of balance tires ?

I have never seen a verifiable and documented reason for balancing trailer tires and your comment trying to compare them to manned steerable vehicles shows me you don't understand the issues. A tire that is so out of balance to actually cause a noticeable NVH issue on a trailer has to be IMO almost "square" vs round. Balancing tires on cars and trucks are imperative because of the NVH issues due mainly to the steering system and all its links, tie rods, ball joints, etc. A trailer tire simply rotates on a fixed spindle and minor imbalances are easily absorbed and negated from the tire itself and the suspension.

Any potential NVH issues with trailer tires is mitigated to a large degree by the fact that you have 4 random balanced tires located very close together near the middle of the trailer vs. 4 individual tires located at the corners of a vehicle such as a car or truck. Any vibration of the trailer tires will combine with the closeness of the adjacent tire and even thru the common suspension components to reduce the individual effects. This is just the opposite with the tires on the corners of a car or truck that is manned.

I have an onboard video monitor inside my trailer and can watch things and there is "no beating" as you want to think that happens in a trailer with normally unbalanced tires. In fact you would be amazed at how well things normally ride inside a trailer. Now turns/bumps, etc. those are when things start visiting other things and areas inside the trailer.

Larry
If you check my profile you will find out your statement about me is false and I understand more about suspension than you think. I don't care what kind of video you have a tire out of balance bounces and puts stress on anything it is mounted on. Some tires take very little weight to balance others take a lot. Please tell me why it makes a difference of it is manned or not. Bounce is bounce period.:S
By the way , car and truck tires are mounted to fixed spindles also and any vibrations wear on suspension components be it spring bushings, ball joints, shocks or anything else on vehicle or trailer. May be wise to educate yourself before trying to correct others. Vibrations are not your friends.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
I have never understood why some do not balance trailer tires. Do you feel a tire out of balance on your car or truck? Why would you want your trailer to take the same beating from out of balance tires ?

I have never seen a verifiable and documented reason for balancing trailer tires and your comment trying to compare them to manned steerable vehicles shows me you don't understand the issues. A tire that is so out of balance to actually cause a noticeable NVH issue on a trailer has to be IMO almost "square" vs round. Balancing tires on cars and trucks are imperative because of the NVH issues due mainly to the steering system and all its links, tie rods, ball joints, etc. A trailer tire simply rotates on a fixed spindle and minor imbalances are easily absorbed and negated from the tire itself and the suspension.

Any potential NVH issues with trailer tires is mitigated to a large degree by the fact that you have 4 random balanced tires located very close together near the middle of the trailer vs. 4 individual tires located at the corners of a vehicle such as a car or truck. Any vibration of the trailer tires will combine with the closeness of the adjacent tire and even thru the common suspension components to reduce the individual effects. This is just the opposite with the tires on the corners of a car or truck that is manned.

I have an onboard video monitor inside my trailer and can watch things and there is "no beating" as you want to think that happens in a trailer with normally unbalanced tires. In fact you would be amazed at how well things normally ride inside a trailer. Now turns/bumps, etc. those are when things start visiting other things and areas inside the trailer.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I balance the tires on all my vehicles and trailers. No reason not to.

My big truck (22.5 commercial tires) has the beads in the tires for balancing. They work fine.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, anything that spins fast needs to be balanced. On a contractor's trailer, it might be OK to not balance the tires, but on a travel trailer, out of balance wheels can shake it to pieces. Now that you have your trailer tires balanced, you still have a problem. Trailer brake drums are not balanced. Therefore I run Centramatics on my trailer.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

redneckgearhead
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
I installed the ceramic balancing beads when I got new Maxxis a few years back. The problem is one never really knows if they're working or not. I can say the tires are wearing very evenly so far. Could be the beads, better tires, or dumb luck.

They're working. Physics.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought and worn out dozens of tires on trailers and have never had them balanced.
Now I have felt viberation at times especially when those tires on the trailers usually has 40k-50k miles. A simple visual inspection showed the tread belts were split and separating.

Time to find out why the tires are suddenly causing vibrations.

And also I've had wheel issues also causing vibrations such as split tire bead seat on the rim and cracked centers/loose lugs/etc.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides