cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer Insurance

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
My son just bought a used travel trailer and asked about insurance. Since I have always owned a motorhome I couldn’t advise him. The trailer was cheap so he isn’t interested in comprehensive coverage just liability.

Him and I both are insured by USAA which doesn’t offer Rv insurance so what advice should I give him. Thanks for any help.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
19 REPLIES 19

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
It appears I was partially wrong - when parked at home, the liability is covered under the home insurance, when parked at a campground, the liability is probably not covered under the home insurance, and when being pulled down the road, it's covered under the auto liability.

Bottom line is still the same - determine what you want protection for, see if it's included in your existing policies, and if not, start shopping.

https://www.insuramatch.com/blog/2019/04/my-camper-covered-homeowners-insurance#:~:text=When%20an%20...
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
If he only wants liability insurance, he may want to check into just a umbrella liability policy.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Call around. I'm surprised USAA doesn't cover trailers as it's so common.

Really, trailer insurance is pretty darn cheap.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
His "normal home insurance" does not cover for liability relating to use of any vehicles.
It is HOME insurance.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Typically, there is no liability on a travel trailer unless you're a full-timer, and that's to cover someone getting hurt while it's parked and suing you - liabilities that the normal person's home insurance would kick in for. While being towed, the two vehicle's liability kicks in and covers damage the trailer causes in an accident, up to the limits of the policy.

To be sure, your son should first check with his insurance companies (auto and home) to be sure what's covered, if anything, with respect to the trailer. If it's lacking in something specific he wants protection for, then it's time to start shopping.

I'm not an insurance agent, so I won't say I am 100% correct, but the above is my understanding.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E