cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV breakdown 2 days into trip

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
I am 2 days into a 6 week camping trip and my truck broke down on the freeway. The serpentine belt broke, and the engine overheated. That belt drives the water pump, generator , and power steering.

We spent last night camped in the repair stations parking lot.

They tell me that when a serpentine breaks, it is usually because something else broke first, but we couldnโ€™t see anything obvious. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

The annoying thing is that I had the truck (a Tacoma) in to Toyota for the 60000 mile repair less than 1000 miles ago
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
26 REPLIES 26

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Had to change a belt in the middle of our trip when we were in New Orleans. It had been squeaking since San Antonio and I couldn't stand it anymore. I always carry a extra but unless it were to break like yours did it stays under the seat.

Your belt, being 8 years old, regardless of mileage is due to be changed. It had probably been degrading for a while and depending on the recent repair Toyota did they may have never even looked at it.

How did the motor overheat? Did not all the red warning lights come on when the belt broke and the alternator stopped charging?
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ excellent info.
Agreed, serpentine belts generally just donโ€™t break on their own.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You do not say what year Taco you have. EDIT: I see its a 2011 according to your second post. If it has an alternator decoupler built into the alternator pulley, they are prone to seizing up and this will cause belt whipping and breakage.

The purpose of a decoupler (or overrunning clutch on some vehicles) it to prevent the alternator from becoming a flywheel between power pulses and pushing on the belt, which causes the whipping.

I am sure they do, but I have never seen a serpentine belt fail, don't care how many cracks you see in the ribs, they generally just don't break.

To determine if you have a decoupler or ORC on your alternator, look at the front of the pulley. Usually they have a cap on them, instead of the typical exposed nut and end of shaft.

A good video to watch to see the comparison of non-decoupler vs decoupler vs ORC on the same engine.

https://youtu.be/4EXYP1CmL9Q

and a video to help identify the various types of pulleys.

https://youtu.be/U7MD85ogCEo

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Most serp belts I've seen lying on the road in pieces have been on hills or in passing lanes. That says it all to me. Under normal conditions your belt may have lasted longer without issue. But if you consider what happens when you get to a hill it no surprise that's where they tend to break.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Lucky your ICE isn't an interference engine with a timing belt

There isn't a one size fits all specification for serpentine belt replacement, so the OP should check their manual in prep for the future

I keep that last take off serpentine belt in my truck's toolkit

Don't like to push anything to the ratings and serpentine belts get replaced BEFORE the manual recommended mileage
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
drsteve wrote:
60K is very low mileage to experience a serpentine belt failure, I think most manufacturers specify 100K miles for belt replacement. I'd be looking for another factor, like maybe the tensioner.

But it's also 9 years old. Most rubber compounds start to deteriorate after 5.

Exactly.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

OEM belt from 2011. I'd replace it at 6 years.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't be surprised if during some other fix the belt was moved off a pulley and was riding the edge. This is another common reason belts fail, they get sliced and when the pulley edge rides the slice, it cause the belt to slide further ripping it apart.

While at it, check the hoses especially at the clamp locations.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
60K is very low mileage to experience a serpentine belt failure, I think most manufacturers specify 100K miles for belt replacement. I'd be looking for another factor, like maybe the tensioner.

But it's also 9 years old. Most rubber compounds start to deteriorate after 5.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
waynefi wrote:
Well, they couldnโ€™t find anything besides the belt, so Iโ€™m on the road again
ENJOY!!
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Well, they couldnโ€™t find anything besides the belt, so Iโ€™m on the road again
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
Don't over think it. Replace the belt and get on with the fun.
Usually these belts are good for 10+ years and 100,000+ miles. But not always.

Thanks for the reminder... mine is at 100k

Agreed, belt failures, on their own, are quite rare. Vary rare on a newer low mile vehicle like yours.
Anything is possible, but it is much more likely that one of the components/pulleys failed causing the belt to get thrown or shredded.
Bad luck, sounds like.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I was a temp biologist for the Nebraska Game and Parks one summer after college. Our district office in Kearney bought a new F150 from a dealership in Lincoln (2 hours away). I got to drive this brand new F150 back from the dealer. Half way home, some flexible rubber between the top of the radiator and grill came loose and got caught up in the serpentine. It threw the belt, which got lost on I-80 and left me stranded for hours. It happens...
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran