cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twisted Receiver Square

Paforeleft
Explorer
Explorer
I was in process of buying a new Chevy Silverado when i noticed that the receiver square was not parallel with the bumper and/or the ground. I estimate that it was off 1/4" from level for the 2" receiver
See pictures. I plan on towing a 25 foot travel trailer using WD hitch. I am concerned the general quality and aesthetics as well as possible uneven loading with the WD hitch.

The manager thought it was "within Spec" however when asked what the spec was, he didn't know. I looked at around 10 more trucks and they all looked fine.

I didn't complete the purchase and i am waiting until Monday for the service manager to say whether he thinks it is acceptable or will commit to fixing it. I love the truck but i am really hesitant to purchase it with the hitch like that.

I'm sure this problem has surfaced before. What are peoples thoughts this is acceptable and if there will be any effect on towing.

32 REPLIES 32

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my professional opinion my suggestion is to avoid any diesel the word Eco in its name!this comes from years of being a diesel mechanic.

Maybe the GM is OK, but I wouldn’t want the possibility.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had not heard of any issues with the 3.0 which is updated for this year. I was curious if he knew something that no one else does.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

blt2ski
ksss wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Now that you say it’s a diesel I would skip it. Look for a non problematic gas engine, with a good hitch!

Why would you suggest a gas engine?

hes getting the 1500 series diesel, not the 6.6. I have not heard or seen of issues with the 3.0 GM diesel. Drove a sprinter or two for 300k miles. No issues with those. Ive heard of a couple issues with the Dodge V6 diesels. Not enough to scare me from one if it fell into my driveway. "Dodge Guy" in his job ust have seen a few to many of these smaller diesels have problems. Hence his get a gas motor comment.

As far ashitch issue goes..... if crrent one can get taken off reinstalled correctly, a new one corret, frame is not bent etc. I wouldnt worry about it.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Now that you say it’s a diesel I would skip it. Look for a non problematic gas engine, with a good hitch!

Why would you suggest a gas engine?
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the receiver twisted or off center? Looks more off center to me or am I missing something else?
Have them take the entire hitch off and install new one from another truck?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Paforeleft
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. They have confirmed my concerns. I am glad i noticed the issue before I finalized the purchase.

I will not buy it until the dealer commits in writing to replacing the entire hitch. It is a unique truck with the 3.0 diesel and the max tow package.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
D

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Make him replace the hitch prior to buying it. After purchase they will blame you.
First time I’ve seen a twisted one. Couldn’t use a hitch platform too well.
Generation thirteen Ford F-150 standard duty hitch receivers also have poor quality control. Many angle downward at the back, easily seen from the side and especially with a ball mount installed. Makes it look like someone overloaded the tongue weight and bent the receiver down. NOPE, factory delivered that way!
Mine does it but it hasn’t bothered me enough to fight for a level replacement. Very well documented on the F-150 forums.
You should download an angle measuring app and measure the hitch twist. Then if/when they replace it, check the new hitch’s level. Compare the other truck hitches on the lot. With the Fords, you can stand back and look down a row of trucks and clearly see the downward dog hitches. The twist will have to be seperately looked at.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I would not trust any "fix", what are they going to do, weld a shim in to hide a twisted frame?

Or remove the OEM hitch/reciever and replace it with one that does not have something welded on wrong? The chances of the entire frame being twisted are close to 0. Maybe they dropped it off the transport truck or railcar LOL.

If it was installed and left that way from the factory that would say a lot for GM's QA/QC measures. That would not surprise me one bit given GM's history of producing unrefined low level junk.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guys say "new Hitch" would you trust the selling dealer to install? After all if the dealer could use shims/slot holes whatever to make hitch old look right on a bent frame, couldn't they install the new hitch to make it hide the problem? Would the new hitch be OEM? Or aftermarket? How would that affect warranty?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's going to mess with the spring bars of a WDH. I'd shy away from it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than likely it wasn’t welded properly when made. As long as there is no damage I would insist on a new hitch. With a WD hitch, being off like that will mess up the weight distribution from one side to the other.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If it is the hitch, I would require a new one.
If it is the truck, I would walk away.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not trust any "fix", what are they going to do, weld a shim in to hide a twisted frame?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper